The Smythemeister's 1/48 Dr.I

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A'noon Guys,
Well,as my Albatross is entering the closing stages I seem to have, temporarily, been bitten by the "WW1 Bug" :flushed:
With that in mind, I've decided to have a crack at this.....
IMG20240307145854.jpg
After watching a video on YouTube yesterday,(it was called,"Adam Savage plays Laser Tag with Peter Jackson's WW1 Planes",in which they rigged up a Dr.I and a RE8 with electronic "guns" and hit sensors),an excellent little Vid, I totally recommend it, I've decided to forgo the Red Barron scheme and do the one shown.
IMG20240307145430.jpg
Quite good detail.....
IMG20240307145648.jpg
.... and you get some etch seat belts.
So, not many bits, should be a fairly quick build ;)
Anyone who would like to follow along will be very welcome :thumb2:,
Cheers for now......

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Good to see you Andy :thumb2:
Excellent , looking forward to this one andy
Welcome aboard Tony:hugging-face:
Love this. Got to love a tripehound…..
Nice to have you along Tim:smiling4:

Thanks for all of your interest Guys,nice to have some company for this one.:thumb2:
Can't believe it's been 10 days since I cracked open the box! Starting the new job has, admittedly,zapped my bench time, however I have achieved some progress.......

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
...... Cont'd.....
So then, progress....
IMG20240316172649.jpg
Page 1 there, simple stuff with the addition of having to punch some 2mm plasticard discs......
IMG20240316153235.jpg
IMG20240316153714.jpg
Spare disc to the side there,ickle decals on,and some seatbelts,this all installed as per the instructions,and then onto sheet 2 ....
IMG20240316192313.jpg
A bit of careful test fitting to ensure a good fit of the 2 halves and....
IMG20240316192246.jpg
IMG20240316192259.jpg
.... voilà.... a very nice fit indeed.Compared with the Albatross I've just done,this one is most enjoyable so far,and well fitting :thumb2:..... it's also remarkably small,to my mind anyway!
That's it up to now, hopefully some more progress before the weekend.... maybe!!
Cheers for now.....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I did the Revell reboxing of this in 2020 ( & blogged it) - mainly to have a go at the streaky camo. I found it difficult to get the 'streakiness' even. The undercarriage is very fragile & didn't last much beyond the completed photos!
Dave

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cockpit looks excellent andy , the super fabric belts look great , cheers tony
Thanks Tony,my phone's crap,it does look better in real life.Those seat belts were a new type for me,and i must say that i was well impressed with them. :thumb2:
I did the Revell reboxing of this in 2020 ( & blogged it) - mainly to have a go at the streaky camo. I found it difficult to get the 'streakiness' even. The undercarriage is very fragile & didn't last much beyond the completed photos!
Dave
Thanks for that Dave,the challenge of the streaky paint job is one of the reasons why I went for it over the, more popular,Red. Interesting point about the undercarriage.... I'll see about strengthening it in someway.:thinking:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I'm in Andy. Looks a straightforward kit with not too many parts. I hope I haven't jinxed things with that observation.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm in Andy. Looks a straightforward kit with not too many parts. I hope I haven't jinxed things with that observation.
Great to see you Jim, your observations are spot on, don't worry about "jinxing" proceedings......if anyone's going to do that, it'll be me!! :tears-of-joy: :thumb2:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Blimey,has it been THAT long since my last update?!!:dizzy: .... anyway,I have been chipping away at this,and with trying to get it finished before the HURRICANE GB starts,my couple of days off will hopefully help :thumb2:,
Here are some progress pics...
IMG20240329144725.jpg
IMG20240329171824.jpg
The base green on,a bit dark probably,but I'm going to try and get the streaking effect with that oil paint that you can see in the first picture,some decals on and other bits painted...
IMG20240330163343.jpg
Going to get some more done tonight,and it should come a bit more together :thumb2:
Until then.....

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely stuff andy , all looking great and the wooden prop is simply beautiful , cheers tony

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Mr. Smiff! Playing ketchup here and glad to see you have been bitten by a bug (WWI), other than the Devon mosquito's. I am saddened that you shelved the Albatros as it was looking good...But now you are building a big Fokker instead. Great work so far, Andy and this puppy only has a little bit of rigging to nerve you! Nice pit work and the seatbelts are cool too.
I truly hope you get some free time to finish this build. Love the color scheme choice too...

Prost
Allen

PS, How long did it take to get all the paint colors off Cohan's feet, after he painted the Albatros for you???

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
How have I missed this one?????
Caught up now and yup, another cracking build by Andy. I agree with the not doing it in red - so last year!! or last century - whatever!!!!
Good to see you Doug, thanks very much,I thought the Red was too "predictable"!! ;)
Nice looking DR1 Andy. I bet it would look good in red as well ;) .
Cheers Tim, probably would do, but not this time! :hugging-face:
Coming along nicely Andy, nice looking paint job
Thanks Mick, it's coming along :thumb2:
That's looking really good!
Cheers Steve :smiling4:
Lovely stuff andy , all looking great and the wooden prop is simply beautiful , cheers tony
Very kind Tony, just getting into doing the wood effects, not perfect,but pleased with this one :nerd:
Wow Mr. Smiff! Playing ketchup here and glad to see you have been bitten by a bug (WWI), other than the Devon mosquito's. I am saddened that you shelved the Albatros as it was looking good...But now you are building a big Fokker instead. Great work so far, Andy and this puppy only has a little bit of rigging to nerve you! Nice pit work and the seatbelts are cool too.
I truly hope you get some free time to finish this build. Love the color scheme choice too...

Prost
Allen

PS, How long did it take to get all the paint colors off Cohan's feet, after he painted the Albatros for you???
Thanks Allen, Cohan has fully recovered,and nice'n clean!! The WW1 thing is temporary.... but will be revisited in the future:thumb2:.