The Smythemeister's TBF/TBM 1 Avenger. Italeri 1/48

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Good point there,but,(and despite my RAF background with all types of Aircraft, from Nimrods,to Phantoms and then Tornados), I'm not really all that concerned with the intricate minicia,I like it to look close on,but it's just a hobby/model. ;)

Tbh, I’d never given it a thought. It was only seeing the u/c that triggered the memory. ‘‘Twas not a criticism or prompt. Made me think did ww2 aircraft have them which then got me googling did modern aircraft have them. Was a good exercise learning about dull boring tyres!!! :thumb2: :smiling3::smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Tbh, I’d never given it a thought. It was only seeing the u/c that triggered the memory. ‘‘Twas not a criticism or prompt. Made me think did ww2 aircraft have them which then got me googling did modern aircraft have them. Was a good exercise learning about dull boring tyres!!! :thumb2: :smiling3::smiling3:
Never took it as a criticism at all Doug :smiling3: ...
... In fact,that sort of thing is what makes this site as great as it is...LOTS of thoughts and ideas popping up from people..
... Keep on keeping on mate. :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
... OK then,update time :smiling3: ....
VERY PICTURE HEAVY ..... But it's been a while!!...
... This...
IMG20230524151921.jpg
... went to this.....
IMG20230524164516.jpg
.... Which morphed into this...
IMG20230525170941.jpg
IMG20230525171001.jpg
... Not the most intricate masks I've ever done,but probably the most amount on a single build ;) ....
There was some clean up to do there,but it wasn't too bad...
IMG20230525180025.jpg
IMG20230525180053.jpg
Colours are a bit off in the last couple of pics, but I'll get some better ones later ;)
... Lastly for now, you might have noticed that the gun turret was left, paintwise, couldn't spray it due to the openness of it,so I sponged it with the darker blue that they apparently were....
IMG20230525180609.jpg
There tiz until the great unmasking tomorrow,and then putting onto the gunner's position itself :smiling3:
Looking forward to that bit!!
There you are then guys...
... whatya fink?!!
Cheers for now,
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
... OK then,update time :smiling3: ....
VERY PICTURE HEAVY ..... But it's been a while!!...
... This...
View attachment 482308
... went to this.....
View attachment 482309
.... Which morphed into this...
View attachment 482310
View attachment 482311
... Not the most intricate masks I've ever done,but probably the most amount on a single build ;) ....
There was some clean up to do there,but it wasn't too bad...
View attachment 482312
View attachment 482313
Colours are a bit off in the last couple of pics, but I'll get some better ones later ;)
... Lastly for now, you might have noticed that the gun turret was left, paintwise, couldn't spray it due to the openness of it,so I sponged it with the darker blue that they apparently were....
View attachment 482314
There tiz until the great unmasking tomorrow,and then putting onto the gunner's position itself :smiling3:
Looking forward to that bit!!
There you are then guys...
... whatya fink?!!
Cheers for now,
Andy
Loving it…..the turret is not an easy build I don’t think Andy. Almost skeletal…..yours looks great. Hope I can match it on mine……I’ve nearly finished building the internals….you are miles ahead.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Sorry, just wrote a big update that took about 10 mins only to see it disappear almost at the end!!
Can't be bothered to do it all over again,maybe later, but for now,I hope you can see what I've done. ;)

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Mr. Smiff,

I just had a nice ketchup on the pot belly wing thingy you two are building and I have to admit, I am very impressed with the progress. Ups and downs and ins and outs have all been worked through without a loss of interest and/or mojo. I really like the camo and your masking has worked so well. Nice work Andy and I hope the rest goes smoothly too. Good stuff Buddy!!!...

Prost
Allen

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Sorry, just wrote a big update that took about 10 mins only to see it disappear almost at the end!!
Can't be bothered to do it all over again,maybe later, but for now,I hope you can see what I've done. ;)
I feel your pain Andy. Had that happen to me a couple of times :rolling: I always write the long ones in a Word document on the pc now...
Keep up the good work, that turret looks brilliant

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Strange one that since the forum auto saves your draft periodically as you type.

A bit late now but a couple of times I've come out of the topic completely, then when I go back in the draft reloads.

Progress is looking sweet though.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Strange one that since the forum auto saves your draft periodically as you type.

A bit late now but a couple of times I've come out of the topic completely, then when I go back in the draft reloads.

Progress is looking sweet though.

Same here.
Pete

Hi chaps,yes, I've had that in the past too..... but for some reason, not this time. :sad:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Evening Mr. Smiff,

I just had a nice ketchup on the pot belly wing thingy you two are building and I have to admit, I am very impressed with the progress. Ups and downs and ins and outs have all been worked through without a loss of interest and/or mojo. I really like the camo and your masking has worked so well. Nice work Andy and I hope the rest goes smoothly too. Good stuff Buddy!!!...

Prost
Allen
Thanks very much Allen, very good of you to say so :smiling3: Despite the poor instructions the mojo has been kept strong by the fact that I simply love the look of this plane. ;)
Nice looking B-1-R-D Andy keep it coming Pard! ;)
Cheers Rick, entering the home straight now. ;)
HA,yes,I see.... Very good Ian :smiling3:
Really nice work Andy
Cheers Mick,much appreciated :smiling3:
It all looking very splendid Mr Smiff :thumb2:

Geoff.
Thanks Geoff, it's tying together a bit more now. ;)
I feel your pain Andy. Had that happen to me a couple of times :rolling: I always write the long ones in a Word document on the pc now...
Keep up the good work, that turret looks brilliant
Yes, quite annoying at the time, but small potatoes really :smiling3: Thanks very much.... I do love a Turret me!! ;)