The summer group build.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well we are nearing the end of May, June will fly past with record speed and before we know it the summer GB will be upon us!

As per the agreed GB calender for this year the subject is soooooooo wide open that I fail to see how any one could pass it up-

Based on a Photo, or from a Photo. could not be more simple could it. Find a Photo that floats your boat, rings your bell or lights your candle. Make a diorama or one of those vinegar thingies that I can never spell!!!!!

The only restriction is that the photo depicts an original event/scene and not a still from a film! Been there done that already.

So lets have a bit of feed back and have a pleasant discussion about the ins and outs.

If all of you now think this is a naff idea and would rather do something else now would be a good time to bring it up and not the 1st of July!

Ian M

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Ian M papa695 ( Ian ) here new to the forum so not clued up on the gb rules . very interested in taking part if allowed

T

treyzx10r

I'm down with this idea ,heres the subject I want to attempt

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Hi Ian M papa695 ( Ian ) here new to the forum so not clued up on the gb rules . very interested in taking part if allowed
All are welcome to join in the group builds, they are after all just a bit of fun and to try to get people motivated to try some thing they might not normally build.

As for the 'rules' there is a post at the top of the group build chat page that explains the rules, what few there are. Any other points relevant to the actual build theme will be Clearly (hopefully) stated in advance of the start.

Any questions just ask. I don't bite. Well not hard any way lol

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice on Trey, Is that a moskito? Dont forget that its not just the aircraft but the whole scene.

We want to try and recreate a photo as a model, if you see what I mean.

Ian M

N

noble

So let me get this straight ian what you mean is whatever is in the photo has to be duplicated in the diorama am i reading you correct?

scott

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Nice on Trey, Is that a moskito? Ian M
Nope,I really should know! It's got to be a Dornier but I can't remember which.Something about those engines says 215 but I'm not sure. Put us out of our misery Trey,I can't look it up at the moment.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
So let me get this straight ian what you mean is whatever is in the photo has to be duplicated in the diorama am i reading you correct?scott
Now even I would not expect the whole scene; foreground, back ground and every blade of grass or bit of rubble. What I think I mean is a fair representation of the scene.

Using the photo Trey posted as an example that would mean the aircraft, painted as depicted; camo serials etc. parked up on the rain wet hard, grass in the back ground. Get the idea. I will find an other picture of some thing and try to focus in a bit.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Ian yes I know its a bit barren for a dio I'll try to find a more 'active' photo ,since I'm not at all checked out on dios do'nt expect much. Steve its this one

1/48 scale Do 217N-2/R22

I finally found the conversion for the 217E-4 so I needed an excuse to start it figured the summer g/b would be the ticket

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Trey,I was close! That looks like a very nice project.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Trey, if you are not a diorama man, then I would say that the scene you have there would be just the job. A simple base will also be fine...

Why make things harder for yourself?

lol

IAn M

T

treyzx10r

\ said:
Trey, if you are not a diorama man, then I would say that the scene you have there would be just the job. A simple base will also be fine...Why make things harder for yourself?

lol

IAn M
Soooo true Ian,still I'm always up for a challenge and so I'm still trying to find some better pics

N

noble

Hi folks when do you want us to post the picture and sprue shots?

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I will ask John to make a forum for the Summer build and you cab start your thread up as soon as its ready

Ian M

B

Boldman

Damn, I could have done my BoB diorama as part of the group build but its 95% finished now, I just need to weather the grass on the landing field and position the ground crew properly...

I'll have to see if there is another photo that grabs my interest...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Unlucky Andrew, this is why we try to figure out the GB's for the coming year, so all can have a look and plan ahead. You've only been here a couple of months so you are forgiven. But Yes it would of been a good one.

I am still looking for a subject as well.

Ian M