The votes are in for the 2011 Group builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fenlander

OK, this has been a bit of a marathon but after picking the most popular subjects submitted by members and having members vote on which of those they want to go with through 2011 for the group builds, the results are as follows

January to end of March the subject is "Normandy" As with all 2011 GBs there is no scale restriction, any scale you fancy so long as it represents a scene from the Normandy Campaign.

For April to end of June it will be "Truck/Trailer with load" Again, no scale restrictions and this can be any time period, including civilian.

For July to end September it will be "Based on a Photo" Again, no scale restrictions or time period. The idea will be to have a photo upon which you model/diorama has been based.

For the last GB, October to end December it will be "Sniper" decided by a last minute vote. Again, no scale or period restrictions, your model should represent a sniper.

I hope, after all the time it has taken, that people will be happy with these selections. It has come about by the most democratic means possible. All subjects have been suggested by members and final voting was by members, no individual has selected any subject at all so I hope you are all OK with that.

Remember, the Group builds are not races, they are not competitions and they are not compulsory, they are just a bit of fun so let's keep it that way.

Good luck with your entries

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Graham and well done in sorting all the options out. Democracy will prevail!

So what to build??? Let me see!

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Im going to get it all done in one big go, Im going to build a nice big one of a Normandy truck driver having his photo taken next to his rig by a sniper. There, hows that for thinking Graham lol.

Andy

R

Richy C

Like it Andy great idea mate LOL , anyway glad its sorted and have got a few ideas already for all 3 builds ,

Richy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The only problem I have is the Normandy starting Saturday! Just too many options and so little time to decide!!!

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Starts Saturday but doesn't end for three months so calm down dear, it is only a Group Build!

Please don't take this the wrong way guys, you are all creative thinkers so please don't rush into these builds. They are quite open in nature so there is a lot of scope for thinking outside the box, much as Andy above lol.

For example, the last one, Sniper. Most will see this as a figure build but a Sniper is described as a 'sharp shooter who fires from a concealed position at a specific target' If you really cannot do or do not want to do a figure then what about a tank destroyer buried in a hedgerow awaiting it's prey?

Also remember that the first recorded specific action of Snipers was seen in the American War of Independence when woodsmen sharp shooters started picking off British officers. Doesn't have to be a gillie suited Barrett toting modern figure.

R

Richy C

Ron - the sniper build is nearly a year away mate don`t worry about it , Graham can`t win no matter what he does , these choices are through votes so lets get on with it, without him we would not even have any GB`s

Richy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I was only making an observation and hopefully a helpful suggestion.

I have removed my post

Ron

D

dm73

Looks like a great all round selection of topics, looking forward to getting my teeth into my first proper group build

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
For example, the last one, Sniper. Most will see this as a figure build but a Sniper is described as a 'sharp shooter who fires from a concealed position at a specific target'
I'm showing my age now,but when I was at school "Sniper" was a skinny kid with glasses like the bottoms of the proverbial beer glasses who was crap at football. He went on to become an actor of some repute so all those hours we made him stand in goal NOT seeing the balls streaking past were to no avail.

Not sure how I'd fit him into a diorama though.

Cheers

Steve

R

rogue-one

ha ha haaa, shoot! i've just got myself a sniper kit for the idea of a wee dio. i can't wait till winter! lol. i might just have to do 2 of them then. but i don't mind, i love snipers ( i don't really love snipers, that would be a little weird!? ehhhh, i'm gonna stop writing) lol.

p.s. whats the rules on the normandy G.B.? is it just the beaches? or can we do caen? carentan? st. du mont? the fights in villages in-land and that such thing?

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Bobby, anywhere or anything in Normandy you care to build....Not much scope eh?

Ron

S

sprayman

Excellent topics Graham, may have a bash at all three, thinking of a figure dio for one of them, I have the Tamiya 1:35 Dragon wagon and trailer in the loft, but as its not German,I dont think I could do it justice.....I really need to branch out from Germany....lol

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Excellent topics Graham, may have a bash at all three, thinking of a figure dio for one of them, I have the Tamiya 1:35 Dragon wagon and trailer in the loft, but as its not German,I dont think I could do it justice.....I really need to branch out from Germany....lol
Having seen what you can do with a box of plastic and a tin of paint, I think the only problem you will have with the Dragon wagon is getting some green paint in! Go for it!

Ian M

S

sprayman

lol...cheers Ian, trouble I have is if I have no real interest in the model I make, then it reflects in the paint job, I get the "that will do" syndrome.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Know just what you mean Ray. Want to sell the Dragon Wagon set at some point in time just let me know!!! :smiling: How about the German Counter part.....

Ian M

J

John Huggins

Hi Graham,

I am thinking of having a go at the GB October to end December, as i am away in september, is it still open & what do i need to do.

As this would be my 1st attempt i'm a little in the dark.

I was thinking "SNIPER" in 1/35.

Regard

John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Hi Graham,I am thinking of having a go at the GB October to end December, as i am away in september, is it still open & what do i need to do.

As this would be my 1st attempt i'm a little in the dark.

I was thinking "SNIPER" in 1/35.

Regard

John
Your are more than welcome to join in the fun John.

As this thread is pretty much done and dusted, I suggest that you keep an eye on the Group build chat page for the latest news and developments.

Ian M

Status
Not open for further replies.