Thinners for Vallejo Varnish?

S

Stevekir

What is the correct thinner for Valejo Gloss Varnish (70.510) and Vallejo Satin Varnish (70.522). Is it Vallejo Thinners (New Formula), 71.161, as stocked by John?; and

How much should each be thinned for airbrushing?

Thanks.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
That is what I use. It does not have to be thinned but I do so, about 20% thinner. I also use a 0.4 needle as the 0.2 I usually use does clog a bit with the varnish. If you plan to use a needle smaller than 0.4 I would suggest thinning a bit more than I do to compensate and build up with several thin coats.

First Name
Dave
I use the Vallejo thinners.My airbrush has a 0.5 nozzle but I still need to thin the varnish for it to spray properly.Im not very scientific about it.Just squirt a bit in the paint cup and add some varnish,then stir.

S

Stevekir

Fortunately, my AB has a 0.5 mm needle. I have now ordered the two varnishes and the thiner. Thanks for the tips. (I also picked up elsewhere not to shake the varnish container because this produces bubbles which take a long time to settle. Instead stir the material.)

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I always shake it (hard and long...). Never has been a problem for me doing that.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would also suggest that you shake the sh life out of it. then shake it some more. If you are worried about air bubbles, just bag it on the table a couple of times. I have never had problems, even if it is a bit frothy when quirted in the cup.

If not mixed well, you risk all kinds of problems. cloudy finish, shiny matt varnish, that kind of thing.

Ian M

T

tecdes

This is what Vallejo say & this I believe is for their new varnish.

10.3. I have air bubbles in my varnish, what causes this?

It is important not to shake the varnishes, since it may take several hours

for bubbles to disappear. Mixing should be achieved by gently stirring the product.

If you look at the new varnish it is just absolutely clear & I would say looking at it that you do not need to even stir the varnish. It is a lot different than the old stuff.

Steve make sure you wash out your airbrush top to tail without delay. If you do not this stuff goes off fast & will clog the brush. Give it a large cup of airbrush cleaner after putting it back together.

Laurie

A

AVB99

\ said:
This is what Vallejo say & this I believe is for their new varnish.10.3. I have air bubbles in my varnish, what causes this?

It is important not to shake the varnishes, since it may take several hours

for bubbles to disappear. Mixing should be achieved by gently stirring the product.

If you look at the new varnish it is just absolutely clear & I would say looking at it that you do not need to even stir the varnish. It is a lot different than the old stuff.

Steve make sure you wash out your airbrush top to tail without delay. If you do not this stuff goes off fast & will clog the brush. Give it a large cup of airbrush cleaner after putting it back together.

Laurie
Laurie is correct about the clogging! Very right! A Total Nightmare!

A higher pressure seems to work for me with varnishes.

Aidan

First Name
Dave
I wasn't aware of a new Vallejo varnish.The milky white one can also be thinned with water.Says it on the side of the bottle.I thinned some matt with water this evening and sprayed a model with it.It worked fine.