Thinning enamel?

First Name
Dave
I would like to try spraying enamel I am using a .3 needle what is a good start ratio for thinning. How long is it best to leave between coats?

Dave

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I would suggest starting at around 60/40 paint/thinners and being prepared to go further (more thinners). On the positive side, my experience spraying enamels for many years, is that they are generally more tolerant of approximate thinning than some other types.

It's very hard to say how long to leave between coats as all enamel brands (all paint brands for that matter) differ. Once the paint is touch dry, usually a few hours, you can add another coat, but be aware that the paint is far from fully dried and cured at this stage and may be quite fragile. I also remove masking as soon as the paint is touch dry...carefully!

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
I use mostly enamels and agree with what Steve says .I would also add that You don't need to buy those small,expensive bottles of thinner.I use white spirit,which I buy in 5 litre containers from DIY stores.Works just as well,but probably takes a bit longer to dry.

D

dubster72

Go for it Dave, leave those 'orrid acrylics & join the enamels club!

I go along with what Steve & Dave said - my only addition is to stir them hard, then stir some more! A battery powered stirrer is very handy, I made one from a Poundshop nasal hair trimmer ;)

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Go for it Dave, leave those 'orrid acrylics & join the enamels club!
I go along with what Steve & Dave said - my only addition is to stir them hard, then stir some more! A battery powered stirrer is very handy, I made one from a Poundshop nasal hair trimmer ;)
I can understand people who spray indoors using acrylics because of the smell.But I do my spraying in a spray booth in a converted garage.So the fumes aren't an issue for me.

First Name
Dave
Cheers I have no real problem with acrylics they maybe seem a bit watery and I am aware of not wanting to build up to thick layers I thought enamel would have better coverage.

Dave

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
With Dave on the thinning. I use Humbrol, White Ensign and Modelmaster enamels and thin them all with white spirits from Halfords. Also 100% with Patrick on the stirring, though I think that is good advice for any paints.

I do occasionally clean my airbrush(es) with cellulose thinners for a really thorough clean, but again, mostly just flush with the white spirits. I actually find an enamel clean up much easier than an acrylic one.

I'm not sure that enamels necessarily have better coverage than acrylics. I think that is brand dependant. With the enamels above I can't remember the last time I sprayed more than two coats to get good coverage, some colours go down in one, but the same could be said for some acrylics too.

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
All that has been said I can confirm works for me too. Mixing the paint is easy, it's the preparation of the paint itself that is the most important part. Stir until you can not stir any more.

First Name
Aaron
Please well vent and dust mask or respirator.