Thinning filler

A

AlasdairGF

Saw a tip on a site about using some model filler (I've got the Humbrol stuff) thinned out to mimic the effects of Mr Surfacer. Neat idea, I thought, so gave it a go.

Wasn't sure what to use as a thinner, so tried some turps (as it's all I had to hand), but didn't work at all. Perhaps I over-thinned or something, but didn't notice any difference after I'd sanded & buffed the join I was working with.

I suspect I've not used the right thinner - what else could I try here? Or am I on a hiding to nothing and should just leave it?!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I usually use Tamiya filler, but the Humbrol filler is much better quality it seems from reading peoples' opinions. To thin the Tamiya filler I use lacquer thinner. You can buy surface filler/primer pre-made, but it is essentially a mixture of the filler with the lacquer thinner. Try that on a scrap piece and see how you get on. You do not need much thinner with the mixture to make it liquid.

A

AlasdairGF

For lacquer thinner, can I read nail polish remover?

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Not sure about that Alisdair. I think nail polish remover contains Acetone, not sure how that may affect the delicate plastic. It may very well melt surface detail off or worse. Try it on a scrap piece, but I would be inclined to buy some lacquer thinner as it is cheaper than buying nail polish remover anyway.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You need cellulose thinners (which is known as lacquer thinners in the US) and yes it will melt plastics but that shouldn't deter you from using it to thin filler. I use it all the time, products like nail polish remover all have this stuff in there, that's why they work in the same way, you can also use liquid poly (liquid poly/cement works by melting and fusing the plastic together). The thing to do is mix your filler and cellulose thinners in a metal lid and then apply it to the model with a brush (as you would Mr Surfacer).

If used carefully it won't damage your model and can be sanded down to a great finish.

BTW, cellulose thinners stinks and you will need to use a well ventilated room

Hope this helps

Cheers

P

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You can thin Tamiya filler and Mr Hobby filler with an acetone based nail varnish remover. I've never had it damage plastic (unlike cellulose thinners) but it's always worth a test. Not all nail varnish removers are acetone based these days so do read the label!

I haven't used Humbrol filler for years and can't remember for sure, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't similar.

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You can thin Humbrol filler, Squadron too with an acetone based thinner such as Cellulose thinners etc.

You needn't be afraid of this stuff, if you happen to get a spot on your model it u can generally shake it off and the rest will simply evaporate. It will only mark if you happen to put a thumb in the same spot whist the plastic is slightly soft (a bit like spilling a spot of liquid poly). When used to thin filler it stays where the thinner is ie. where you want it.

At the end of the day use whatever product you're comfortable with. I can only say that I've used cellulose thinners in this way for the best part of 10 years (since I discovered it's use) without any mishaps. In fact I use cellulose thinner to return Mr Surfacer back to it's original consistency when that becomes too thick!

It is useful to have a more aggressive thinner sometimes and comes in handy for all sorts of uses. By it's nature though it isn't particularly pleasant stuff. Acetone based nail varnish remover may be the (marginally) more friendly way to go, but I don't think you can buy it in the same quantities, at least not the last time I painted my nails!

Cheers

P