Three Arnhem Busts

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great work on Sean and thanks for the Denison palette choices too.

I repaired the binoculars on mine yesterday, they snapped!

Your gunner's head does seem to have more character than it had before it was stripped.

The original Denison base colour looks quite dark and greener in comparison with Sean's too.

Looks like you will have another fun day with this one.

Another grey day and breezy here, the garden lights haven't had enough sun for weeks to stay on more than a few minutes at night.

S.A.D. is starting to bite, more so, as I am house bound with this damned knee!

Have a good day with the light, if you get any at all.

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve.

Another S.A.D. sufferer here. Various colds and viruses have kept me indoors as well, so I'm resorting to Vitamin D to try and alleviate the problem. Very dark and gloomy here, with only a couple of hours painting time really feasible. Still, at least we have the election and Christmas to look forward to and to cheer us up.

The head on this one ain't great, and after painting Sean, I've realised how much a quality sculpt counts. I was pretty timid with the Denison first time around, and the uniform police jumped on me for making the brown patches too red, so I hope I can do a better job. Moz has supplied plenty of creases and qwrinkles so it has scope.

Keep the knee dry and warm.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Peter.
Firstly hope your feeling much better. This SAD thing really get me as well, at least the cave has daylight tubes, have you got any lights with daylight bulbs in ?
Modelling wise having an infection certainly hasn't effected your ability to paint in a flawless manor, as the young would say " you de man "

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Stunning work on the first bust Peter. The camo came out really well. Nice to see you under way with another one.

P.S Mr Race, its you da man. You need to get down with your hommies man. Stay loose bro.

• Love
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi John - Yes, I've got a daylight bulb over the work-table. The young never call me 'De Man' these days. I usually get 'Oh my God, you're such and OLD MAN!' from my offspring.

Stevie J (I like the ring of that) - Glad you approve of the busts.

Stevie B (Also like the sound of that, now that we're settling into da hood) - Thank you.

• Haha
D

Deleted member 6559

Onto the torso, and the front of the body is done:

100_5761.JPG

Hopefully an improvement in the camo. I remember now that I'd used a simpler technique before - namely painting the pattern, then washing in the shadows with thinned black brown. I've since realised that the only way to attempt it properly is to highlight and shadow each individual patch of colour separately - much easier to do with this type of loose pattern than some of the more complicated German ones.

I was also reminded that I'd cut out the leather strap where it runs from the buckle to the ammo pouch, as it was one solid triangle of resin. That meant sculpting in the areas revealed and replacing the section of strap with one made from plastic sheet.

Arms and back tomorrow.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That's well sick man. You well hard bro! LOL

Last edited:
  • Haha

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
First bust of Sean is really good Peter, the second one a little on the (no emoji to show wavy hands). It goes to show as you say that of the quality of sculpting of heads and faces. The denison is much better.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - :smiling6:.

Richard. Thanks. I totally agree about the head and I think I'm going to have a go at replacing it. I've got a Life Miniatures spare, but it will need a beret....

D

Deleted member 6559

Drastic measures. Really couldn't live with it as it was, so:

100_5764.JPG

I dug out a spare Young Miniatures head and sacrificed the old head by cutting off the beret. I managed to get it fixed without too much initial filling, though there are still a couple of places that need attention. He just got a whole lot better looking (or at least human).

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Peter, yes this looks more serious and definitely not comical like the other but honestly I have seen characters like the previous before and hardly the army type. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great start on the Denison, clearly better than the original, well done.

The new head is certainly less comic, but you had done a sterling job of painting the original one, even with the sculpting challenges.

Its warmer but still another grey day ahead.

One bright spot is I have a date for my replacement knee surgery, next Thursday, 051219, at long last.

Then recovery and retirement.

Have a good day with what little light there is!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - The original head was characterful, but not well sculpted. I could have lived with it if the eyes had been better and the nose not been bent so far to the left, The deed is done now anyway.

Steve - Knee surgery a bright spot?!! Just shows the degree to which you're suffering, you poor man. Warmer here, but very dark and with very cold weather predicted for the end of the week.

With the head, I thought ''What the hell?'' It would have always niggled, and anyway, this way I get another head to paint. I am considering just working on busts eventually - they suit my poor eyesight.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great 2nd head, shame it was a destructive process to retrieve the beret, as the other head might have had a use one day?

The Denison is looking good too.

A process question with regard to the Denison, I would base coat, do a basic highlight and shadow, line out all the seams, then do the 2 different coloured patches.

Is that reasonable, or am I making extra work?

How do you do it? Probably completely differently?

As for Bright Spot! I had never thought about it in those terms, but it does make sense.

My knee has been extremely painful since August, and I have been off work since 1st October.

Pre Op today, Joint clinic, again, on Friday, the NHS ticking the boxes, even though I have already had a replacement knee!

And I know it will be odd for most, but roll on next Thursday, and getting my old knee sawed, chiselled and hammered out and a new metal one inserted!

I shall be hobbling around to our polling station on the 12th too, as you need to walk as much and as soon as possible after the operation.

Hopefully no one is eating their breakfast LOL.

It pouring down, AGAIN, here, and more flood alerts!

Enjoy the light, and have a good day with the paint

Regards

Steve H