Tiger 1 recommendation?

Jad

First Name
John
Looking for a Tiger 1 build recommendation in 1/35
kids going to buy me one for Fathers Day.
Not bothered about price. Little bit of a challenge even if I need to buy any extras ? but nothing to stressful lol.
ta

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There are approximately more Tiger 1 kits than there were real Tigers built¹ …

I’ve only built one Tiger kit in 1:35 in my life, but I’ve read the Dragon kits are very good, to the extent that more recent releases like from Rye Field Model or Trumpeter have been greeted with comments like “Why do we need this if there’s the Dragon kits already?”

¹ OK, that’s a slight exaggeration, but 167 kits in 1:35 scale vs. 1350 or so 1:1 tanks is still a rather high ratio …

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Forgot to say, want to build a winter snow version.
Winter 1943 --- Russian Front
Winter 1944 --- Russian Front and Western Front ( Ardennes etc )

You would want to work out which Winter, and which battalion the tank belonged to and therefore which version they had because different versions would only be available at a time after the alterations were made and then shipped out to the front line.

https://tiger1.info/ has some relevant info.

Reactions: Jad

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The Trumpeter Tiger I (mid) and (late) kits are nice. They even come with 3d decal zimmerit should you want to apply it.

Reactions: Jad

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
"Not bothered about price".....
....Interesting comment that.
Not sure how experienced you are when it comes to AFV builds, but,IMHO, tailoring the kit to your build level is the important thing. You can chuck money at a flashy kit with all the extras you like,BUT,if it gets too complex you could easily get bogged down and then lose interest. :sad:
Obviously,all of the guys suggestions are good info,however,you can still get a very nice result from,say,an older Italeri kit,which, despite being less complicated and detailed to some of the other brands,could be very satisfying. ;)
Just my thoughts of course,but more money doesn't always lead to a better experience. :smiling3:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ive only owned 2 Tiger 1s ever.I had the ancient Tamiya kit when i was 14 and slapped old Airfix paint on it.The newer Tamiya ones are easy to put together and if i ever wanted to build one id get one.Like a guy says in our model group its not the kit but what one does with it.
Good luck with your quest.
Richard