Tim’s 1/48 Eduard A6M2 Type 11 Zero

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Wow!! That's a fine looking cockpit there Tim:cool:, it's certainly well crammed with details, which, when coupled with your immaculate painting,is a pleasure to look at :thumb2:.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, moving on swiftly…….everything now stuck together and masked ready for paint…..priming first, then top coats….
DB3FCC08-7603-45E0-8B80-01DAACCC21D4.jpeg
Looks small, but is actually about the size a spitfire. Great kit. Very cleanly moulded and everything fitted exactly as required. Only minor issue was that the mask set hadn’t been cleanly cut. Not a big issue though, just ran a sharp scalpel around the cuts before removing the pieces. I think this is comfortably the best 1/48 aircraft I’ve ever built. I know I haven’t used the decals yet, but they certainly can’t be as bad as Tamiya’s…..

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well, moving on swiftly…….everything now stuck together and masked ready for paint…..priming first, then top coats….
View attachment 489880
Looks small, but is actually about the size a spitfire. Great kit. Very cleanly moulded and everything fitted exactly as required. Only minor issue was that the mask set hadn’t been cleanly cut. Not a big issue though, just ran a sharp scalpel around the cuts before removing the pieces. I think this is comfortably the best 1/48 aircraft I’ve ever built. I know I haven’t used the decals yet, but they certainly can’t be as bad as Tamiya’s…..

Looking good Tim.

From what I've heard their decals are normally pretty good.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Coming into the home straight now Tim:thumb2:
All looking tickety boo, strange about the canopy masks though, especially considering the high standards of Eduard generally.
Which paint scheme are you going for?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good.

You're not wrong about Tamiya decals, they remind me of the stickers that I just put on some kiddies' electric toothbrushes :smiling3:
Cheers Steve. Tamiya decals are just weird in my experience. I’ve had some long ones float off the backing sheet in part, but stay stubbornly stuck in other places. As you say, they handle like plastic stickers as well……

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Coming into the home straight now Tim:thumb2:
All looking tickety boo, strange about the canopy masks though, especially considering the high standards of Eduard generally.
Which paint scheme are you going for?

Cheers Andy. I’m going for the faded grey green beige scheme. Basically a Japanese RLM 02. Same as all the ones on the colour sheet ;) I like the one with faded wings and tail though, might give it a little variation.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Okay……cockpit done……

View attachment 489124
View attachment 489125
View attachment 489126
Really fun to work on. Everything just fits and paints up really well. Never used all the PE, but then, I never do anyway. Some kit parts looked better so got left.

View attachment 489127
View attachment 489128
Cockpit sidewalls look fine as well. The metallic turquoise primer used by the Japanese looks really cool I think…..probably won’t see much of it when the fuselage is assembled though…..

View attachment 489129
Lastly the floor at the back…..in that nice primer again.

This kit has truly been great to build so far. Detail is excellent. The parts fit well with no fiddling. There is no flash, and barely any mould lines. The plastic is crisp and easy to work, and the colour call outs are very clear and easy to follow. All in all this is a great kit. Probably the best 1/48 aircraft kit I have made so far, and that includes several Tamiya examples.

Of course, like all aircraft, the bit that really shows off the design quality employed is the wing root joint, so keep watching and I’ll let you know how that goes…..right now I have absolutely no fears on that score though.
That office looks great Tim.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice updates and your moving at a good pace

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Your going great guns with this one Tim :smiling4:

Must say your a brave man adding the pitot tube at this stage. I can guarantee I’d be re gluing it at least half a dozen times :confounded:

Geoff.