Time for a change

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi everyone

For those of you who follow my work know that I am Vallejo through and through. However I am fed up to the back teeth with the short shelf life of these paints and acrylics in general?? The reason I question this is because I do not know if other acrylics suffer like Vallejo.

Basically I do around 6 weeks a year of acrylic airbrushing so paints will sit in my model room for 6 to 12 months before I use them again. When I do the paint is full of lumps that block my airbrush no matter how much I thin them down or mix them. I certainly do not want to go down the road of straining out the lumps of paint before use.

I dont really want to move away from acrylics so do you get the same problem with other acrylics??. I am not interested in using AK, Lifecolor or Mission Models and I presume AK 3gen has not been around long enough to find out.

If I have to move away from acrylics then I do not want to do enamels. So I assume acrylic lacquers are my next and only other choice??. I have used Tamiya in the past and have been impressed but did not use them due to the limited colour range and I find them a devil to clean out of my airbrush. If there are answers to these issues then I am willing to revisit Tamiya. I am interested in peoples opinions on other acrylic lacquers like AK etc. My main requirements are paint flow through airbrush including shelf life, ease of cleaning airbrush and colour variety. So with all that information and questions I look forward to hearing your opinions. Many thanks in advance and happy modelling.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
No I havnt Jim. I will look into them and get back to you. I use Reamer for getting out the stubborn dried paint but I was hoping to continue down the easy route of water for most of it and then a clean through with an airbrush cleaner. Speak soon my friend

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
It seems they are the same as Tamiya but have a better range of colours. The pots are 7ml less than Vallejo for the same price. Can I thin them out to make them last longer Jim? Have you had any experience of them going off like Vallejo? Will I be able to brush paint Vallejo on top ie detail painting? Can I clean them out with water or do I need to use airbrush cleaner? Certainly look a good option though

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
My usual paint these days is Mr Hobby Aqueous, which is an alcohol/water based acrylic. They have a good range of colours
Pete

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Just had a look Pete and they certainly look good. With the alcohol content does this stop them drying and clogging the airbrush over the longer term?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Steve, hope you are ok

I really like Mr Color, sprays so well and drys quick. I thin at 50/50 but have also used 60/40

Must be cleaned with liquid reamer and Mr Hobby cleaner, no issues apart from it does pong a but lol

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
My experience with Mr C is the same as Bob's. I've not found they go off and some are 4 years old. No ab clogging but does need a solvent cleaner.

Bear in mind there are two Mr Hobby paint ranges. A Tamiya like acrylic which Pete mentioned and Mr Color which is lacquer based.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi everyone

For those of you who follow my work know that I am Vallejo through and through. However I am fed up to the back teeth with the short shelf life of these paints and acrylics in general?? The reason I question this is because I do not know if other acrylics suffer like Vallejo.

Basically I do around 6 weeks a year of acrylic airbrushing so paints will sit in my model room for 6 to 12 months before I use them again. When I do the paint is full of lumps that block my airbrush no matter how much I thin them down or mix them. I certainly do not want to go down the road of straining out the lumps of paint before use.

I dont really want to move away from acrylics so do you get the same problem with other acrylics??. I am not interested in using AK, Lifecolor or Mission Models and I presume AK 3gen has not been around long enough to find out.

If I have to move away from acrylics then I do not want to do enamels. So I assume acrylic lacquers are my next and only other choice??. I have used Tamiya in the past and have been impressed but did not use them due to the limited colour range and I find them a devil to clean out of my airbrush. If there are answers to these issues then I am willing to revisit Tamiya. I am interested in peoples opinions on other acrylic lacquers like AK etc. My main requirements are paint flow through airbrush including shelf life, ease of cleaning airbrush and colour variety. So with all that information and questions I look forward to hearing your opinions. Many thanks in advance and happy modelling.
Don't ever change mate....
... I love you just the way you are :smiling3:

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Pete, Jim and Bob - I have looked into the differences and I am starting to sway towards the Aqueous. It seems I can use all this Vallejo cleaning and thinning bottles I have with it.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've used the Mr Color lacquer, and it does spray really well, but it stinks, needs their Levelling Thinner (the standard thinner seems to give tip drying) and a strong cleaner like Liquid Reamer or Mr Hobby (or is it Mr Color?) Tool Cleaner. The Mr Hobby Aqueous cleans with IPA, water, or the Spraycraft cleaner that Hobbycraft sell.
Pete

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
I've used the Mr Color lacquer, and it does spray really well, but it stinks, needs their Levelling Thinner (the standard thinner seems to give tip drying) and a strong cleaner like Liquid Reamer or Mr Hobby (or is it Mr Color?) Tool Cleaner. The Mr Hobby Aqueous cleans with IPA, water, or the Spraycraft cleaner that Hobbycraft sell.
Pete
Yeah thats what's making me sway towards Aqueous Pete. I used MRP once and it was awesome but I had a blinding headache and it stunk the house out

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
The aqueous range is in some ways the best of both worlds. Good colour range, only a slight smell and that's the alcohol, easy clean up and sprays better than a pure acrylic.
Invest in a few colours and see how you get on.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Never tried the aqueous, and yes had to check the spelling lol

Kindly let us have your feedback Steve

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Invest in a few colours and see how you get on.

Thats what I am thinking Jim. As you know I hairspray chip practically everything I do, so I need to see how that works out. Also how does it react to my weathering techniques. Looking a worthy choice to try.