Tiny White Spots using Vallejo Semi-mat Varnish

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Laurie, I think you're lucky not to have had some sort of separation or clumping in your paints.

I bought some Vallejo paints recently on ebay and added a nut to help mix them (not sure now after reading this thread that that was such a good idea!). The nut sat on top of the thick paint that had accumulated at the top of the bottle. I had to use a metal rod to push it through so it could start to move and agitate the rest of the paint.

Gern

T

tecdes

S

\ said:
Laurie, I think you're lucky not to have had some sort of separation or clumping in your paints.I bought some Vallejo paints recently on ebay and added a nut to help mix them (not sure now after reading this thread that that was such a good idea!). The nut sat on top of the thick paint that had accumulated at the top of the bottle. I had to use a metal rod to push it through so it could start to move and agitate the rest of the paint.
I only use Vallejo Model Air Dave for air brushing & not had any clumping & as said earlier after looking the consistency is the same top to bottom without any agitation.

Vallejo Model is a different thing. They bulk up at the bottom. Use a dentist's vibrator mixer on low for 4 or 5 minutes & that does most of the trick. If not I have a paint stirrer with a round spade end which gets it moving.

If you get clumping Dave there is a problem & I would get onto Vallejo.

Laurie

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Sorry, I should have said they were Model Colour.

I guess the clumping on the top means they weren't stored upright for a while. Having got them mixed, (like you, I have one of those dentist vibrators. I shake them manually to start the mixing process, then use the vibrator), I've had no problems.

Gern

S

Stevekir

Having removed the spots as mentioned (micromesh plus flicking off with the point of my craft knife), I applied a light coat of the near-black paint by smearing with my finger on the areas affected which were showing scuff marks. Smearing seems to be used with thick things like butter or ointment. In my case just a drop of paint on an area, then to spread it I rubbed my finger over it until it dried. After doing a test spray, I have now re-sprayed with Vallejo Satin varnish (but a different bottle just bought) and it looks OK, probably 90% of what it would have been without the fault.

The differences between the first (faulty) varnish job are: new batch of varnish, bottle shaken with a rattle nut until my arms ached, 15 PSI instead of 18, no thinning (following Vallejo's message). So I am no further ahead in understanding why the first job went wrong. In future I will always do a test—I don't trust non-clear varnish.

I haven't heard from Vallejo yet in reply to my second message (which they asked for along with a photo).

T

tecdes

Interest Steve is the second bottle a different batch no. ?

With 0.4 needle/nozzle I use a bit higher for varnish about 25psi especially as it is gooey compared to the paints. But if it works you cannot argue.

Actually Steve Vallejo says do not shake roll the bottle. But as before if it works-------

Satin varnishing some parts tomorrow I will see how it goes.

Laurie

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Interest Steve is the second bottle a different batch no. ?With 0.4 needle/nozzle I use a bit higher for varnish about 25psi especially as it is gooey compared to the paints. But if it works you cannot argue.

Actually Steve Vallejo says do not shake roll the bottle. But as before if it works-------

Satin varnishing some parts tomorrow I will see how it goes.

Laurie
Yes, a different batch. Tamiya glass jars are best for rolling 'cos you can see the bottom clearly. With their matt you can see it takes time for the white to mix properly.

C

CDW

If you use "glass" jars, could you make use of some of these, i use them to mix my acrylics and they seal air tight with a foil insert in the lid (Revell paint pot in for size comparison)

View attachment 74114

Pm me if needed.

SAM_0801.JPG

S

Stevekir

\ said:
If you use "glass" jars, could you make use of some of these, i use them to mix my acrylics and they seal air tight with a foil insert in the lid (Revell paint pot in for size comparison)View attachment 73603

Pm me if needed.
I have only once had to mix colours, for the "off black" for the underside of the Lanc, and I mixed three small batches for that as needed. However, for paint mixes that needs to be kept for more than a few days, yes, one of those glass jars would be just right. I will get some, and use foil.

C

CDW

PM me your address and I'll send you a few Steve. They're handy for keeping little bits in whilst you build a kit too.

*edit* they already have the foil inserts so usable straight away with no faffing :smiling:

Last edited:
S

Stevekir

\ said:
PM me your address and I'll send you a few Steve. They're handy for keeping little bits in whilst you build a kit too.
Its OK, thanks. I have just had a root around and found several were included free in the compressor bundle that I bought 9 months ago. They are just the right size. For bits, I have one of those multi-compartment boxes with a clipped lid—my main weapon against the carpet monster.

T

tecdes

Best thing Steve is to keep & wash out your used Vallejo plastic bottles. They work well as the spout goes up into the domed lid forming a seal.

Laurie