Too cold to spray in my garage?

T

TonyBv9

Some advice please gents. I'm at the stage of applying primer to my current build. I use Halfords rattle cans, but I'm unsure about doing it in this weather, as my spraying area is my unheated, draughty garage. Is there anything I can do to ensure a reasonable finish? (Apart from spraying in the bedroom, of course).

Putting the paint can in hot water prior to use, perhaps?

Thanks

F

Fenlander

operating temperatures should be on the can somewhere but I would be cautious about spraying in too cold conditions. You could have some effect on the paint bonding correctly but I have no evidence of this. The other thing of course is that cold sometimes hides damp and you could be spraying onto a thin film of condensation on the plastic. On top of that, it can be just miserable spraying under this conditions. Warming the tin in water is not always a great idea, paint should ideally stored at room temperature, I keep all my paints in the house and only take what I need to spray and it then goes bad to the house. My 'spraying' shed is a small 4x6 plastic garden shed that is as dry as a bone and ten minutes with the convection heater n is comfortable to work in as an air temperature but when I was in there the other day, a bottle of airbrush cleaner had ice in it even after I had finished.

Best bet is to try it on a bit of plastic, an old milk bottle for example and see how it goes. If all is OK, then go for it otherwise wait a few days for it to warm up a bit.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
DONT put the can in hot water!! The rapid temperature change has been known to cause the can to rupture! On to your problem, I also spray out in my shed and struggle in the cold weather. If you need to get a coat of primer on what i would do is , bring the can and the model in the house to warm up for a few hours (dont be tempted to put the can on a radiator or anything , just let it warm up slowly in the house) . once both are at room temperature ,take them into the garage and spray the primer coat, then as soon as possible (straightaway ideally) bring the model back in the warmth. Hope this helps cheers tony

S

Sky Raider

Sound advice there.... i have added two items to my workshop many moons ago. A Calorgas heater for those cold days, gets like an oven in there and a dehumidifer, this keeps everything nice and dry.

Cheers

Andy

M

markg

How about having another primer method for cold conditions?

I have nipped out to a cold garage before with a warm can of Halfords and results have been ok, but I now use Vallejo primers through my airbrush and so don't have to venture outside. I mainly use acrylic paint, but if I was to use enamel, I'd use something like Humbrol #1 enamel as a primer.

cheers

Mark

T

TonyBv9

Thanks for the advice guys. The primer is my only spray painting, everything else is by brush

I think I'll just have to wait a bit.

While I'm waiting though, I can start another model and get it up to the primer stage. Why didn't I think of that before?

M

markg

\ said:
Thanks for the advice guys. The primer is my only spray painting, everything else is by brush I think I'll just have to wait a bit.

While I'm waiting though, I can start another model and get it up to the primer stage. Why didn't I think of that before?
that's not a bad idea :smiling3:

by the way, that Vallejo primer does hand-paint well. I mostly hand-paint and I have tried it recently on small areas. Give it a test try on something, see what you think. John sells some in his shop if you like it.. well, he still sells some even if you don't like it :smiling3:

T

TonyBv9

\ said:
by the way, that Vallejo primer does hand-paint well. I mostly hand-paint and I have tried it recently on small areas. Give it a test try on something, see what you think. John sells some in his shop if you like it.. well, he still sells some even if you don't like it :smiling3:
There's a thought. That could be useful for aircraft interiors and stuff. It always seems wasteful to use a can on small bits. Thanks for the idea.

T

tecdes

Tony. Think if you leave for instance the spray can in the house to reach a higher temperature you will have problems spraying in a cold garage as the paint leaves the can & hits the cold air.

Why not try a simple box of polystyrene (makeshift spraybooth fixed together with pins) & before spraying direct a heater close (not to close) intowards the box. The polystyrene will retain & release heat for a little while enough to prime your piece. You can get your spray can up to heat in the house with the ambient temp.

I lined my garage door with the 2inches of the stuff & it made a remarkable difference.

Laurie

T

TonyBv9

Good ideas there Laurie.

I've ordered some Vallejo primer from John. Should I thin the primer for brush painting?

M

markg

\ said:
Good ideas there Laurie.I've ordered some Vallejo primer from John. Should I thin the primer for brush painting?
I didn't thin it Tony. I'm quite a newbie modeller and am in 'trying things' stage, actually I'll probably always be that way, anyway, I have the black and grey Vallejo primers. The characteristics of each are slightly different, but on some test plastic I have noticed how you can modify the depth of top coats, by choosing black or grey. Also, I have applied the grey, then the black in certain areas to modulate the top coat effect. Still work in progress :smiling3:

Last edited:
T

tecdes

Yes Vallejo do about 10 different colours in the primer.

First coat of primer I thin about 25% & mist coat. This gives a fair idea if filled areas sit well & areas you may have missed which still need attention.

Second full primer coat I generally put in a couple of drops of thinners to a an airbrush cupful of primer.

I found it best to half fill the cup put in the thinners top up with primer & then use a paint brush to mix in the cup. Put the thinners in first you may find you will get a burst of thinners initially & loose thinning for the primer. Also get a plastic drinks bottle & give a short burst before spraying model parts.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
On a less helpful note its too bloody cold for me to spray or do anything else in my extension at the moment and there is a radiator preventing everything from freezing solid.

I'm keen to make a start on my Hummer (following Colin,CDW's,) lead,but its absolutely perishing out there!

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

\ said:
On a less helpful note its too bloody cold for me to spray or do anything else in my extension at the moment and there is a radiator preventing everything from freezing solid.I'm keen to make a start on my Hummer (following Colin,CDW's,) lead,but its absolutely perishing out there!

Cheers

Steve
Never mind the spraying Steve it is my body that is freezing. Two ruddy jackets, long johns (even thought of two pairs this morning) & fur lined boots.

What happens when winter gets here ?

Laurie

S

Stevekir

tecdes

\ said:
Yes Vallejo do about 10 different colours in the primer.First coat of primer I thin about 25% & mist coat. This gives a fair idea if filled areas sit well & areas you may have missed which still need attention.

Second full primer coat I generally put in a couple of drops of thinners to a an airbrush cupful of primer.

Laurie
What thinner do you use? I have Xtracrylix thinners, cellulose thinner and of course water.

T

tecdes

Steve I keep to the paint manufacturer in my case Vallejo.

Their thinner is the same as the use in the production of the paint. Both paint & thinner have resin acrylic.

Certainly not cellulose thinner. Also think I read recently here that Xtracrylix made Vallejo paint go gloopy or is it loopy ?

Laurie