Tool choice for styrene /plastic card

S

seaspray

I usually build in wood but as time goes by new materials appear and a change is required.

Firstly is there a difference between Plasticard and Styrene ?

I was going to join these new materials by using a brush down the edges, till someone said to use an applicator ??

I see there is an applicator in the Scale Model's Shop by Albion. Alternatively there is one made by Deluxe Model Products on their site. Are they both the same tool for the same job ? Will they join Styrene and/ or Plasticard better than the brush method ? Should I keep a brush handy ready to help the glueing as I think the applicator may not need to be used all the time ?

I will be using Plastic Weld-It to do the glueing as I tried using EMA Plastic Weld a long time ago and didn't have much success with it.. I was told recently to buy a cleaner solvent, thinking that this may have been the problem and do you need to use a solvent cleaner prior to glueing.

E

Edgar Brooks

Styrene is a shortened form of polystyrene, and modellers tend to call it "plasticard" because a) it signifies that it's in flat sheets, and b) because it's easier to spell.

If you use a brush down the edge of a sheet, before you push them together, Plastic Weld (and others like it) will evaporate before you make contact; the best method is to put the parts together, then touch the join with a small brush, loaded with a drop of the glue. It will run along the joint, by capillary action, melting (fractionally) the two plastic surfaces, which will bond together, then the glue will evaporate, the plastic will harden again, and your join is complete. If you have a long join, it will often be necessary to use more than one drop of adhesive, but, if you watch carefully, you'll be able to see how far the first drop has travelled, and carry on from there.

Edgar

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
To add to Edgar's advice,you can tint your liquid glue with a drop of paint. This will help you see how far it has run down the join.

Cheers

Steve

S

seaspray

Cheers E.B Where I have gone wrong in the past was not holding the joints together. Rather than waiting for the glue to take affect then offer the pieces together, with no luck.

Stona Nice little idea of putting the paint into the glue,cheers

Just one other question. Who does plasti card and styrene get on with being glued together with Super glue?

Last edited:

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
I see there is an applicator in the Scale Model's Shop by Albion. Alternatively there is one made by Deluxe Model Products on their site. Are they both the same tool for the same job ? Will they join Styrene and/ or Plasticard better than the brush method ?
I also sell the Deluxe Model one's as well and Plasticard

Looking at the 2 applicators I would say they both look very similar and do the same job, just one is cheaper than the other

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I'm going to thank Steve on the tinting liquid glue with a drop of paint. I never thought of doing that mate, nice one.

Have fun, John

S

simtur

I'm with you there John, bravo Steve on that piece of advice! Starting tomorrow the Tamiya glues are getting tinted red!

Happy modeling!

Simon

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great tip there Steve! I might get me one of them there applicator what nots,

Ian M