Touching up (when I have screwed up)

G

Grumpollie

Hi all

I just unmasked my ME 109, and I must not have masked the tail fin properly. It's beautifully airbrushed, apart from paint creep there. Short of masking it all up again and re-coating with the airbrush (seems like a waste of paint), does anyone have any tips for doing touch ups so the coat still looks nice and smooth (unbrushed).

Thanks heaps

Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well there is a dilemma! Two ways of doing it: quick and easy, or propper!

I would swear, take a deep breath and try to sand off the offending paint runs with ultra fine wet and dry, and maybe get away with that. If the colour under gets a bit damaged, a quick coat of the base colour to bring it up again.

Ian M

L

Laurie

Andrew I have had the same problem.

Got over it. But i am using Vallejo acrylics. If not this then disregard.

Assume it is days or less that it was airbrushed. First I try just water on the end of cotton buds. Gently stroke from the furthest away towards the line of the camouflage.

If this does not work then use thinners on the cotton buds,not much just enough to moisten the bud. add more depending on the resistance. The paint masked should be more cured than the recent.

Do all this with patience as it takes a little time to soften the paint to be removed.

Small patches and where you have a very small area to remove back to the line I have use a Morton blade and very carefully (very carefully) managed to scratch away the offending bit. Then used a moisten bud to smooth the area.

I had a load of creep when i was building my Catalina. Black crept on to blue. You would not know where I had worked but it all took very careful time. Any slight mark of very slight colour change disappeared after i had coated with Vallejo clear Matt Varnish.

Cannot emphasize that utmost care and time is the name of the game. The smallest amounts of water and thinners.

Laurie

G

Grumpollie

Hi Ian and Laurie

Thanks very much for your help. I'll give thinners a go, carefully. I painted less than 24 hours ago. If need be ill re-coat.

Cheers

Andrew