Traditional nautical tattoos

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
...... Or.....just a ring of dashes around the base of the neck with "Cut Here" written in the front middle of em ;)
Love it….I saw someone with exactly that tattoo at a stranglers concert in about 1980…..a line of dashes, with cut here and the scissors symbol, just like a cut out coupon in a newspaper of the day. Looked really cool……but I wonder how cool it looks now they are over sixty :tongue-out3:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
..... He may not have made it to his sixties if someone took it literally!!....and it's just the sort of thing I'd expect to see at a Stranglers concert from that era!! :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
..... He may not have made it to his sixties if someone took it literally!!....and it's just the sort of thing I'd expect to see at a Stranglers concert from that era!! :smiling3:
Saw them a few times. Really good live act. Mind you, they were pretty low key compared to a Souixie and the Banshees concert of the same era……now that was absolute mayhem……only time I saw slam dancing in a major venue……

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Tattoos could have been seen much earlier as the Portuguese and Dutch sailed to the east much earlier than the English.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Alfonso De Albuquerque landed in Melaka or Malacca in 1511 and as far as the Philippines.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Tattoos are really older than that.
The tattoos here below are from a man known as Oetzi (see wikipedia for further details) who lived some 3100 years B.C. He (or his mummy to be more precise) was found in 1991 under the ice on the high mountains on the border between Austria and Italy.
Oetzi tattoos.jpg
At the time of his death he was wearing sandals to hike on a glacier so he's suspected to be a German tourist; to reinforce this hypothesis, he was carrying his work tools with him, so the chances he was an Italian are really scant. :tongue-out3:

Andrea

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Saw them a few times. Really good live act. Mind you, they were pretty low key compared to a Souixie and the Banshees concert of the same era……now that was absolute mayhem……only time I saw slam dancing in a major venue……
Never saw Souixie and the Banshees.... DID see The Stranglers a couple of times in the 80's,(I'm  PURELY a Hugh Cornwell line-up bloke though,after him they weren't "The Stranglers" anymore,just MHO obviously :smiling3: )
only if he was wearing socks with the sandals :smiling5:
..... if there was no towel discovered about 50 yards away then he wasn't no German!! ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I did, in 1983 and that was a wonderful concert with also Robert Smith at the guitar! ... and there were many tattoed guys too. :smiling4:
Must have been the same tour…..except I saw them in Poole Art Center, Dorset…..not Italy, Andy…….Memorable because Robert Smith walked off towards the end of the set as he got fed up with the cartoon punks spitting on him while he played…..very powerful set though, great band!