Trumpeter 1/35 BTM-3 High Speed Trench Digger - completed

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
One of the longest continuos builds I have done, with nothing else on the bench ( no room ).
DSCF3693.JPGDSCF3694.JPGDSCF3697.JPGDSCF3701.JPGDSCF3695.JPGDSCF3702.JPGDSCF3696.JPGDSCF3698.JPGDSCF3699.JPGDSCF3700.JPG
Quite a marathon. definitely not a sprint. Over 770 parts, although the tracks take up 170 off those. An engine is included, - a waste of time - there is no way you can display it and it's not complete, it has no cooling system/radiator! At times Trumpeter/HobbyBoss do this, it looks like they planned more detail, but stopped short.
This is a model where the instructions have to be read, and understood before cutting any plastic. Some of the assemblies aren't clear until you actually have the bits in your hand & dry fitting is essential. The engineering and fit of the parts is excellent, no filler was used. The instructions are pretty good, but the complex assemblies can sometimes be vague, with a simple line drawing. The sequence of assembly can seem a little odd - adding small bits before large assemblies just invites damage. I suggest you work out your own sequence, and when you are going to paint! You can't leave it to the end - that will just make things more complicated than they already are.
One thing I would suggest is adding location pegs to the side frames/decking. There are small pimples & shallow holes on the model. Drilling out and adding pegs will make a much more secure construction - this model is turned in your hands so many times it's easy to dislodge parts! It came apart several times & eventually CA was resorted to.
You can assemble this with the bucket wheel assembly up or down. I did it with down, as I thought it showed the working to advantage - it does make it much longer - 290 X 90 X 90mm. With the bucket up it will be shorter, but higher.
This is definitely a model for a more experienced modeller, the large number of parts can be offputting, when you open the box.
I had had a dip in my mojo & this model was a real test. It can be a real challenge, but not so difficult that it ends up as landfill. I can say I really enjoyed this, but I wouldn't like to make models with this complexity on a regu[ar basis!
The model is still available - not cheap!
Thanks for dropping by - comments and questions welcome!
Dave

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Superb work Dave. Unfortunately none of my comments came through during your build but hopefully you will receive these words of encouragement. One to be proud of my friend

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well done Dave. What little sanity you had at the start must be well shredded now. It does look very good though.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Dave I followed your build with great interest and the result is really nice. :thumb2:
Considering the efforts you made and the long struggle with a very complex kit, I hope you'll appreciate this small award. :tongue-out3:
Sisifo.jpg
I used to give it at work to humorously reward those who managed to successfully complete complex and apparently never ending projects.
It is not intended to compete with the most serious and well known "The Dog" award, of course.
Last but not least: the kit is a earth digger: cannot see how it could end as a landfiller....:smiling5:

Andrea

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Excellent work Dave. The finish is excellent and you've don3 justice to what looks like a complicated model.

A really interestingly choice of a model in the first place too.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Unfortunately none of my comments came through during your build

They were probably waiting to be approved by a moderator/admin. Joys of not being a paid subscriber/supporter to the forum. You have to wait until someone decides and approves your posts. It could be quick, might take quite a few hours or a day. If you pay up..... no waiting :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks proper impressive. Good choice to build it with the digger deployed, IMHO — with it sitting on top of the vehicle, it would be far less clear what all of that kit is supposed to be/do, while like this it should be obvious to just about anyone.

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Great work Dave, and what a monster!

I don't think I'd want to exit the cab while all those chains are flailing around.....

Nick

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is a curious beast that only it's mother could love. Well done Sir you pulled it off brilliantly.

How did they prevent the spoil, going back in the ditch?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That is a curious beast that only it's mother could love. Well done Sir you pulled it off brilliantly.

How did they prevent the spoil, going back in the ditch?
The dirt was flung out to either side by two powered rotors ( garden swing seat thingie )
DSCF3702.JPG
Doesn't answer the question of how the spoil was removed if the soil was dry & sandy - probably another of the limitations of this thing!
Dave

Reactions: JR

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
One of the longest continuos builds I have done, with nothing else on the bench ( no room ).
View attachment 467316View attachment 467317View attachment 467320View attachment 467325View attachment 467318View attachment 467324View attachment 467319View attachment 467321View attachment 467322View attachment 467323
Quite a marathon. definitely not a sprint. Over 770 parts, although the tracks take up 170 off those. An engine is included, - a waste of time - there is no way you can display it and it's not complete, it has no cooling system/radiator! At times Trumpeter/HobbyBoss do this, it looks like they planned more detail, but stopped short.
This is a model where the instructions have to be read, and understood before cutting any plastic. Some of the assemblies aren't clear until you actually have the bits in your hand & dry fitting is essential. The engineering and fit of the parts is excellent, no filler was used. The instructions are pretty good, but the complex assemblies can sometimes be vague, with a simple line drawing. The sequence of assembly can seem a little odd - adding small bits before large assemblies just invites damage. I suggest you work out your own sequence, and when you are going to paint! You can't leave it to the end - that will just make things more complicated than they already are.
One thing I would suggest is adding location pegs to the side frames/decking. There are small pimples & shallow holes on the model. Drilling out and adding pegs will make a much more secure construction - this model is turned in your hands so many times it's easy to dislodge parts! It came apart several times & eventually CA was resorted to.
You can assemble this with the bucket wheel assembly up or down. I did it with down, as I thought it showed the working to advantage - it does make it much longer - 290 X 90 X 90mm. With the bucket up it will be shorter, but higher.
This is definitely a model for a more experienced modeller, the large number of parts can be offputting, when you open the box.
I had had a dip in my mojo & this model was a real test. It can be a real challenge, but not so difficult that it ends up as landfill. I can say I really enjoyed this, but I wouldn't like to make models with this complexity on a regu[ar basis!
The model is still available - not cheap!
Thanks for dropping by - comments and questions welcome!
Dave
Once again I'm echoing other commentators by saying 'Superb' ... your commentary has only added to it's excellence!
Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The dirt was flung out to either side by two powered rotors ( garden swing seat thingie )
View attachment 467361
Doesn't answer the question of how the spoil was removed if the soil was dry & sandy - probably another of the limitations of this thing!
Dave
It also begs the question of how those buckets would pick up loose sandy soil with just some chain at the back. I wonder if Dave's idea of those being added in the field and other alternatives were available depending on the terrain?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It also begs the question of how those buckets would pick up loose sandy soil with just some chain at the back. I wonder if Dave's idea of those being added in the field and other alternatives were available depending on the terrain?
Are they actually supposed to pick up the spoil though Dave? They may be designed to simply break up the ground so it is loose enough that the plough arrangement at the back can push it up and aside, so forming the trench and parapet?