Trumpeter 1/48 Westland Whirlwind (Not the Helicopter!)

D

dubster72

That looks good to me Dave! My pre-shading looks like Michael J. Fox did it!

N

noble

Hi dave just caught up with this build, very nice indeed lovely clean build and a very nice paint job so far.

scott

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looking great Dave, love the paint work.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Dave
I started putting decals on the model this evening.Trumpeters decals are the wrong colours.The red and yellow in the roundels is far too bright. And the Squadron codes are in white which I think is wrong. I've done a bit of research and found RAF day fighter codes were grey from around 1938 to August 1941.From August 1941 they changed to sky.I got some replacement roundels and fin flashes from my decal collection.But I don't have any sky codes large enough.So I will have to order some.I think the wing leading edges may have had the yellow recognition marking as well.I will have to do some more research.

View attachment 90874

View attachment 90875

View attachment 90876

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I do like this.... You are certainly right about the decals Dave. Trumpy's decals are really poor in my experience.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I do like this.... You are certainly right about the decals Dave. Trumpy's decals are really poor in my experience.
This is only the second Trumpeter kit I've built.The first was their 1/48 Wellington.A superb kit,but I had to replace the kit decals on that one as well.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I think the wing leading edges may have had the yellow recognition marking as well.I will have to do some more research.
Dave, I've had a quick flick through a couple of books and whereas the yellow leading edge stripe was a part of the DFS it was only 4" wide and is hard to see in photos. There are two photos I've found in which the Whirlwinds definitely do have it. One is coded HE-X and the other is another 263 Squadron machine at Warmwell but I can't see the codes.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking good Dave I bet you had fun with the chequered tail fin decal.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
This is looking real nice Dave ,shame Trumpeter made such a cock up of the decals . At nearly thirty quid you expect the right colours at least!! On a brighter note ( although you cant get much brighter than those roundels!!) Ive got some Xtradecal RAF Sky code letters in the decal bank , theres 2 sizes , let me know via PM what size and letters you want and i'll pop them in the post , cheers tony

First Name
Dave
\ said:
This is looking real nice Dave ,shame Trumpeter made such a cock up of the decals . At nearly thirty quid you expect the right colours at least!! On a brighter note ( although you cant get much brighter than those roundels!!) Ive got some Xtradecal RAF Sky code letters in the decal bank , theres 2 sizes , let me know via PM what size and letters you want and i'll pop them in the post , cheers tony
Thanks for the offer Tony.But I've just ordered 4 sheets of codes and roundels from Hannants to top up my decal bank.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Looking good Dave I bet you had fun with the chequered tail fin decal.
That chequered decal came in two halves.Its gone on ok.Just don't look at it too closely!.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
No probs matey , glad youve got it in hand. It makes me wonder though , just how companies like Trumpeter can keep getting it so wrong with the decals , it can spoil a good (and usually expensive) kit , on the other hand Revell seem to have got it spot on , all their recent kits have excellent ,accurate decals . cheers tony

First Name
Dave
Tha

\ said:
Dave, I've had a quick flick through a couple of books and whereas the yellow leading edge stripe was a part of the DFS it was only 4" wide and is hard to see in photos. There are two photos I've found in which the Whirlwinds definitely do have it. One is coded HE-X and the other is another 263 Squadron machine at Warmwell but I can't see the codes.Cheers

Steve
Thanks for the info Steve.Ive not found any photos of this aircraft yet.Ive only got the artists side profile in my post above.This doesn't have them but is just an artists impression and not an actual photo.Im not going to get too anal about it though.I may just leave them off.