Trumpeter German navy destroyer Z30

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well folks another attempt at improving my floaty builds?

Fletcher is all but done and will then be binned. Kagero is drying in primer.

Was planning to do a battleship next but still need to show improvement in a few areas.

So next is Trumpeters 1/350 German destroyer Z30 comes with a fair bit of PE, so ideal further practice

20240319_142155.jpg20240319_142238.jpg20240319_160644.jpg20240319_160656.jpg

Drilled out portholes and additional holes on the deck. Fair bit of fettling to do but both decks fitting much better. So next is to glue decks into place

Bob

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I hope that I am not to late but I would paint the hull and most likely paint and build the deck and sheds THEN glue them together. That paints scheme on the hull looks like a lot of masking and holding...

Those German destroyers are long skinny thing! lol

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Ian and Jim, was beginning to think I was on my own!

Going to have a go at the paint job, most of the ships I have, do have various schemes. This is the scheme
20240322_163008.jpg
So quicker I learn how to do these patterns the better!

Good thing which helps is the deck is one colour. Might follow your advice Ian, paint the hull and stripes, paint the single colour deck then fit? Have used a Tamiya stand and drilled two holes to mount the hull.
20240322_112908.jpg
Can finally see the advantage of mounting the Hull asap.

So today built the 4 main gin battery and the main long superstructure, right pain to build and some tidying up to do Inc filler.
20240322_162836.jpg
20240322_162749.jpg
Made the mistake on other builds of adding pe and small bits and bobs early then yes knocked them off. So leaving a lot of stuff until close to painting.

More confident now.

Bob

Attachments

• 20240322_162749.jpg
    20240322_162749.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 0

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very good indeed Bob....although at 1/350, a tad on the small side - even for me!! ;) :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking fwd to the camo part Bob, just take your time and enjoy it.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I hope that I am not to late but I would paint the hull and most likely paint and build the deck and sheds THEN glue them together. That paints scheme on the hull looks like a lot of masking and holding...

Those German destroyers are long skinny thing! lol
HI Bob mate yes Ian is right as thats how i did my tiger AN all my other ships by building an painting the parts before fixen em on the ship as its a lot easyiery to mask up the parts when seperate
CHRISB

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Loving the camouflage design,
Yep it slightly crazy!! Should be a laugh trying to do lol

Looking very good indeed Bob....although at 1/350, a tad on the small side - even for me!! ;) :smiling3:
Hi Andrew, to be fair it not that small, thankfully lol.

Looking fwd to the camo part Bob, just take your time and enjoy it.
Thanks John, appreciated

HI Bob mate yes Ian is right as thats how i did my tiger AN all my other ships by building an painting the parts before fixen em on the ship as its a lot easyiery to mask up the parts when seperate
CHRISB
Sound and hard earned advice, ta!!
Got a chair and sitting as close as the crowd will let me, hands in pockets so that I do not touch....
Hi not a big crowd yet so grap a seat your more than welcome

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Today's progress

Added more decks to the rear superstructure, plus filler. Then started on the bridge bits, not happy with the fit, all the superstructure was very fiddly to hold together and glue. Most new kits thankfully use slide moulds and these items now tend to be in one part, yippee

To be fair Tamiya supply small bars to hold the large sections together, so much easier. Had to use filler in a good few places. Used the stuff ( forgot the name) then quickly removed the excess with a lightly damp cotton bud, so hopefully no sanding

20240323_170925.jpg20240323_170932.jpg

Ta ta for now

Bob

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Ploughing through the superstructure and what a pain. As it's a earlier kit it has I think no slide moulding? So small superstructure bits are made up of often 5 small fiddly bits, 4 walls and roof. Experimented by using blue tac on a small hand clamp. So I could rotate the bits
20240329_150938.jpg20240329_150951.jpg
Worked ok as the tac held the bits reasonably well. Could not think of a easier method? All I can say is god bless slide moulds lol. Just had HMS Exeter arrive and phew, almost everything is slide moulds, so my nails can grow back.

Right some progress. Most superstructure is done with a fair bit of filler. Everything is loose. Not a great fit in most areas.
20240402_154845.jpg20240402_154825.jpg
Next trying to see what can be fitted or painted off the ship. Then the dreaded PE bits. Then the strippy hull!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It is an older kit so will put up a bit of a fight. Small sheds like you show here I find double sided tape handy. Or just stick them one part at a time. Tamiya extra thin is super quick for that. By standing them on the tape they don't run away when you try to glue them.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
It is an older kit so will put up a bit of a fight. Small sheds like you show here I find double sided tape handy. Or just stick them one part at a time. Tamiya extra thin is super quick for that. By standing them on the tape they don't run away when you try to glue them.
At the moment I am on the ropes lol.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Bob

Agree with Ian about double sided sticky tape.... It works surprisingly well and I use it regularly..... It's surprisingly how little plastic it needs have a reasonable grip with smaller pieces

That's coming on very nicely, despite the fight it's giving you!

ATB

Andrew

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Bob

Agree with Ian about double sided sticky tape.... It works surprisingly well and I use it regularly..... It's surprisingly how little plastic it needs have a reasonable grip with smaller pieces

That's coming on very nicely, despite the fight it's giving you!

ATB

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, will try that method as well. Appreciated

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Might be fighting back Bob, but she’s looking pretty good from here. Moulding boxes out of that many parts does seem a little weird though.