Type 5 Chi Ri - Jungle Warrior

W

Weeman0000

Hey guys.

Well its been a longer build than usual, paints needed 2-6 coats which just covered the model in paint. If it was a real tank it would now have 200mm armor instead of 75mm from paint alone.

Anyway, If you don't know, the Chi Ri was built as a late war IJA tank but never got out of the prototype stage phase before the japanese were overrun.

It was fitted with a 3 round auto loading 75mm gun. Altho it was a medium tank with only 75mm of armor at its thickest (unslopped) it was bigger than a king tiger albeit half the weight.

Iv wanted to do a camo tank for a while, but with a brush and maybe the worst paints i could find (Not even IJA colors) i thought why not. So it was my first camo attempt.

It was also the first time iv used pigments correctly and on such a scale. Altho crappy in the application if you squint your eyes and rapidly move your head around just viewing the tank out the corner of your eye i can safely say it looks amazing. Just dont look too close for any length of time :smiling3:

Erm, first time working with magic tracks, i can say they were amazing compared to working and rubber tracks.. Two dark washes then some 6 pigment muddy dust color and it looks not bad if you use the same viewing method as above :P

Overall it was a nice kit from finemolds, came in at about £40 from amazon, has full gun's and partial interior, you could even put an engine in it as well, however there are no seats or controls.

If you spot anything that looks weird or wrong please gives a shout and ill try not to make that mistake again on my future kits. Any tips will be help me.

So just leaves me to say thanks for checking this monster of a tank out and hope you enjoy it, if you dont theres always google :smiling3:

Cheers.

Jason.

PS Sorry about the massive amounts of pics. I took a lot and then realized i forgot the exhaust smoke and shell smoke on the barrel's... typical :P Also there is a PE mesh for the exhaust however it hives all the details and unless i can get it looking really good ill leave it off.

View attachment 118199

View attachment 118200

View attachment 118201

View attachment 118202

View attachment 118203

View attachment 118204

View attachment 118205

View attachment 118206

View attachment 118207

View attachment 118208

View attachment 118209

View attachment 118210

View attachment 118211

View attachment 118212

View attachment 118213

View attachment 118214

View attachment 118215

View attachment 118216

View attachment 118217

View attachment 118218

SDC13807.JPG

SDC13808.JPG

SDC13809.JPG

SDC13811.JPG

SDC13813.JPG

SDC13814.JPG

SDC13815.JPG

SDC13816.JPG

SDC13817.JPG

SDC13818.JPG

SDC13820.JPG

SDC13821.JPG

SDC13823.JPG

SDC13826.JPG

SDC13828.JPG

SDC13829.JPG

SDC13830.JPG

SDC13832.JPG

SDC13833.JPG

SDC13835.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks great. I like the weathering lots.

D

dougie

Yep that's a great build to me. Nicely painted, nicely weathered and well built

D

dubster72

Good stuff Jason! This tank was the Japanese equivalent of the German Tiger II.... not quite the same! ;)

W

Weeman0000

\ said:
Good stuff Jason! This tank was the Japanese equivalent of the German Tiger II.... not quite the same! ;)
It was really just equivalent in size, it has a smaller gun and less than half the armor. However it was more than enough carnage in a box for any Sherman or patton :smiling3:

I think they made it so big so tank crews would abandon there shermans and pattons like they did with the king tiger, Plus the turret was massive to support an autoloading gun. Im sure if there was 3 of them on a ridge line with that depression and its 3 round bursts it would have been one hell of a tank.

That being said it was a prototype :sad: They should really try and restore and maybe even modernize one. Most tanks these days look the same, Abrams, Chally, K1A1 ect ect we need more beasts :smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Looks good to me Jason..... Cracking Job mate I like it a lot. Top work...........

The only thing I noticed....... and I don`t owt about Japanese tanks, but I`m not sure if the inside of the open hatches should be white? They make for a first class Ariel target:smiling3: Just a thought

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great job Jason, the finish turned out nicely with the pigment. Great build all round.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great build Jason,i real do like the finish you have on it,great camo /weathering very well done, ;)

W

Weeman0000

Thanks guys and gals I really didnt think it was going to be up to much until the weathering came together. I think from now on ill try airbrushing camo, two+ coats is just too much and too thick. Im going to try humbrol acrylic spray paints for the M2 when i get a base coat of rust on it. Never used acrylics or spray paints so it should be a fun experience. If nothing else i wont be there doing multi-coats with a brush haha.

\ said:
The only thing I noticed....... and I don`t owt about Japanese tanks, but I`m not sure if the inside of the open hatches should be white? They make for a first class Ariel target:smiling3: Just a thought
Yeah they should be khaki but i didn't have any at the time, and in real life they wouldn't be white, but i thought the interior's white so why not, plus it drags your eyes to them meaning you will see inside to the gun :smiling3:

[EDIT] Tbh all the colors on the tank are wrong lol, google IJA camo or chi-he or whatever jap armor u know, ull see its a dry grass, grass green and a brown camo, this is more yellow sand, russian green and mud brown/gray. So the white interior hatch colors are in keeping with my lack of actual paints and my "aww fucit" attitude to historical accuracy haha :smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Thanks guys and gals I really didnt think it was going to be up to much until the weathering came together. I think from now on ill try airbrushing camo, two+ coats is just too much and too thick. Im going to try humbrol acrylic spray paints for the M2 when i get a base coat of rust on it. Never used acrylics or spray paints so it should be a fun experience. If nothing else i wont be there doing multi-coats with a brush haha.
Yeah they should be khaki but i didn't have any at the time, and in real life they wouldn't be white, but i thought the interior's white so why not, plus it drags your eyes to them meaning you will see inside to the gun :smiling3:

[EDIT] Tbh all the colors on the tank are wrong lol, google IJA camo or chi-he or whatever jap armor u know, ull see its a dry grass, grass green and a brown camo, this is more yellow sand, russian green and mud brown/gray. So the white interior hatch colors are in keeping with my lack of actual paints and my "aww fucit" attitude to historical accuracy haha :smiling3:
I'm no "Rivet Counter" ......... With my builds I like to get them as close as I can ........ But the main thing, as far as I'm concerned, is if you are happy with the result then that's what counts.......... As I said in my post Jason, it's a "cracking job" ......... :smiling3:

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Superb work on a not so common tank..like has been said love the weathering knocked it out the park buddy

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Hey guys.
Well its been a longer build than usual, paints needed 2-6 coats which just covered the model in paint. If it was a real tank it would now have 200mm armor instead of 75mm from paint alone.

Anyway, If you don't know, the Chi Ri was built as a late war IJA tank but never got out of the prototype stage phase before the japanese were overrun.

It was fitted with a 3 round auto loading 75mm gun. Altho it was a medium tank with only 75mm of armor at its thickest (unslopped) it was bigger than a king tiger albeit half the weight.

Iv wanted to do a camo tank for a while, but with a brush and maybe the worst paints i could find (Not even IJA colors) i thought why not. So it was my first camo attempt.

It was also the first time iv used pigments correctly and on such a scale. Altho crappy in the application if you squint your eyes and rapidly move your head around just viewing the tank out the corner of your eye i can safely say it looks amazing. Just dont look too close for any length of time :smiling3:

Erm, first time working with magic tracks, i can say they were amazing compared to working and rubber tracks.. Two dark washes then some 6 pigment muddy dust color and it looks not bad if you use the same viewing method as above :P

Overall it was a nice kit from finemolds, came in at about £40 from amazon, has full gun's and partial interior, you could even put an engine in it as well, however there are no seats or controls.

If you spot anything that looks weird or wrong please gives a shout and ill try not to make that mistake again on my future kits. Any tips will be help me.

So just leaves me to say thanks for checking this monster of a tank out and hope you enjoy it, if you dont theres always google :smiling3:

Cheers.

Jason.

PS Sorry about the massive amounts of pics. I took a lot and then realized i forgot the exhaust smoke and shell smoke on the barrel's... typical :P Also there is a PE mesh for the exhaust however it hives all the details and unless i can get it looking really good ill leave it off.
Great "lived-in" paint job, those close ups look almost real! Nice work