Type VIIC insulator dimensions ...

R

rfield

I'm thinking of trying to make reasonably authentic antenna insulators (I hope that's the right terminology; those oval-shaped thingies on the lines leading from the conning tower to fore/aft) in 1/144 scale. I've been unable to find actual dimensions, but my guesstimate is that they were around 12-15" long and maybe 7-9" in max diameter; that would make them ~0.08 - 0.10" by 0.05 - 0.06".

Can anyone confirm/dispute those dimensions? My only source at this point is relative comparison of estimated hand width (using 4") to the insulators in pictures where both a hand and an insulator appear. That is, of course, highly compromised by distance, perspective and so on.

Any help will be appreciated!

B

Bunkerbarge

I would try to get access to the Revel 1/72nd U-boat kit. The insulators are included in that kit and would only require halving in size to get an accurate 1/144th size.

From what I remember of them in period photo's though the actual ceramic insulator is relatively small, maybe only in the region of 4-6" long and maybe 3-4' across. They are held together though by wires and thimbles, making up an assembly which then tensions the main antenna cable. I'm sure a period shot will help but for now see if the photo's of my Revel U-Boat build are of any assistance.

View attachment 16750

IMG_0002.jpg