U.S. 2 1/2-TON 6X6 CARGO TRUCK 1/48 Tamiya

T

treyzx10r

I needed something for the Twin boom dio and this seemed to fit the bill. The kit looks really clean ,no flash and the ejector pin marks are slight and seem to be strategically located on the back sides of the parts. The details are typical Tamiya very clean and crisp. I'm not sure I like the die cast metal frame,which requires screws to hold the completed cab and cargo bed in place. Also ca glue is needed (or epoxy) to secure the injected plastic parts to the metal.

Heres the Boxing

T

treyzx10r

On to the build,as its pretty straight forward I just let the pictures tell the story,unless I mod something. I'm also deviating from the intstructions to ease painting.

Frame is a really clean cast

On go the parts and it goes quick. The parts are very cleanly molded and only require a quick light pass with a hobby knife to get rid of a very fine thin mold seam line

T

treyzx10r

On to the cab and I'm leaving the seats and steering wheel for later in the build

I'm adding some screen as the radiator lacks any fin detail

T

treyzx10r

The rest of the cab assembly falls together no fit issues at all!

Not much to add to the fenders just some headlights and a blackout light

T

treyzx10r

If you were building this for competition you would need to do something with the screw heads and mold release marks on the bottom. For my needs its good to go as is ,the Cab assembly mounted nicely with no fit issues.

T

treyzx10r

The Cargo bed assembly next and I'll be deleting some parts to fit into my plans for the dio.

I cut away the extended stake sides

I'm leaving off the upper ones on the front side as well and the tailgate will be down so I'm not installing it just yet.

More screws to mount up the cargo bed

Heres what I've in mind for it in the dio,of course the engines will be on pallets of some sort.

stay tuned ......

C

CDW

looking good Trey.

Built a 6x6 2.5 tonner for the mash dio in 1/35, this 1/48 looks as though its going together as easy as mine did.

I like the idea of the engines on pallettes, dont forget to tie 'em down :smiling3:

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Colin ,I hear ya!

Got some OD green on after a black preshade top and bottom

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks a very nice and clean build Trey. May i say very easy compared to how you normaly build but looking good

T

treyzx10r

Ian,Polux thanks!

Its nice having this to work on between hair pulling sessions on the Widows! I've not done a military vehicle in years so I'm proceeding with caution on the painting. Trying to get the 'faded paint' appearance by adding heavily thinned lighter greens ,spraying down from the top in light coats. I also did the reverse with some from the bottom up with some brown mixed into the OD green.

Also getting the tires ready

S

Saber

Looking very nice getting the urge to do some vehicles myself now.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

T

treyzx10r

Mark thanks heres a link to the finished pics,looking forward to seeing what you do with the ground pounder kits!

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/trucks-lorries-vans-cars/17314-1-48-u-s-2-1-2-ton-6x6-cargo-truck-tamiya-completed.html