Ultra sonic cleaner question

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi all , just a quick pick of the collective brain. Ive just got myself an ultra sonic cleaner , primarily for cleaning the airbrush but other things too ( watch bracelets, jewellery , glasses etc.)
My question is what do you guys use as the cleaner - water , soapy water , or some other medium ? I dont want to go and fill it up with IPA or anything too harsh if it doesnt need it or might damage the cleaner. , cheers tony

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I use 1 part clean slate to 3 water, seems to clear most stuff

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
When we did things like that at work we just used to use a squirt of dish soap. Must admit I haven’t used one since I retired though.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
When I bought my u/s cleaner I ordered some jewellery cleaning solution. Put my black mesh Skagen watch bracelet in it and 10 minutes later I had a bare steel bracelet! Since then I've just used water and washing-up liquid to clean the airbrush and various car parts.
I'm sometimes tempted to try IPA though. My cleaner is stainless steel so it shouldn't come to any harm.
Pete

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Similar to others - water and dish soap or liquid laundry detergent.

I would avoid any of the acidic or alkaline cleaners on the market for airbrush parts.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Warm water & Tesco Lemon washing up liquid - which I also use in the airbrush in a normal end of session clean out. Lemon? 'cos it smells nice!
Dave

I have a four year old grandson who claimed, as four year olds sometimes do, to like eating lemons. I don't need much of an excuse to experiment on defenceless children and guess what? He definitely does not like eating a lemon! He much prefers a pack of Haribo ;)

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
My uncle Bud......"you think that looks good? Here, lick my finger" Everything from beer to beets.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Years ago, I purchased a bottle of this specific ultrasonic cleaner fluid:

Tickopur-RW77-1-Liter.jpg

Every time I put my airbrush into the ultrasonic cleaner (which is not that often), I put a little splash of this into the water, as it appears to clean things better with than without. I don’t recall at all what I paid for it, and when I look now it seems to be fairly expensive (in the order of €25 per litre) but that one-litre bottle has lasted me for probably about a decade now and it’s still mostly full.

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's got a bit of ammonia in it. That's good for shifting acrylics, I doubt it is anywhere near concentrated enough, but in the long term it might attack the chrome of an airbrush.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I have a four year old grandson who claimed, as four year olds sometimes do, to like eating lemons. I don't need much of an excuse to experiment on defenceless children and guess what? He definitely does not like eating a lemon! He much prefers a pack of Haribo ;)
Now that's the best kind of 'science' experiment ever, the faces folk pull are hilarious .... :smiling5: :smiling5: :smiling5: :smiling5: :tired:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That's got a bit of ammonia in it. That's good for shifting acrylics, I doubt it is anywhere near concentrated enough, but in the long term it might attack the chrome of an airbrush.
It might in the long run, but like I said, I don’t put it in it very often and when I do, the cleaning fluid is thinned something like 100:1 (rough guess :smiling3: ) and the airbrush stays in it for ten minutes at a time or so before being thoroughly rinsed under the tap. I’m not worried of the chrome starting to wear thin, if I’m honest :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Now that's the best kind of 'science' experiment ever, the faces folk pull are hilarious .... :smiling5: :smiling5: :smiling5: :smiling5: :tired:
On the other hand, some of us actually like eating lemons, and limes……I’m known for hoovering up the slice out of herself‘s G and Ts…..been eating them since I was a little kid.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
On the other hand, some of us actually like eating lemons, and limes……I’m known for hoovering up the slice out of herself‘s G and Ts…..been eating them since I was a little kid.
You and me both, I never found them 'too sharp' and always enjoyed the 'refreshing' taste..

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
......the Ws were cool. I acquired a taste for reds.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks everyone for your input , the general concensus is water and washing up liquid (or similar) although the stuff John mentioned looks good for a deep clean now and again so I might order some of that .
Ive had a play and been trying with water and washing up liquid , I cleaned one of my cheap airbrushes and not much crap seemed to come out , so either it wasnt that mucky or i need something stronger.
It cleaned several of my stainless steel watch straps nicely though .