unconventional modelling materials list

noble

scott
First Name
Scott
Ok here is one for all you diorama builders, how to make great looking pine needles for trees, first take a ball of sisal string and some clothing dye in green. Sisal sting I hear you ask that is the old fashioned brown coloured stuff you can get from amazon... don't use the new polyester type stuff as it will not take the dye. Take your dye and plonk it in water cut up lengths of Sisal sting and submerge it in the dye, once the dye has full taken usually after a few hour remove the string and hang up to dry. Once the string is dry unravel it slightly and cut it up in very small lengths or bits, we are now ready to apply it to our trees to make coniferous trees, you can also scatter it around the base of your trees to make fallen pine needles. hope this is useful.

scott

Stevekir

Returning Beginner
First Name
Steve
That's a good idea. I have some brown gardening twine which seems just like Amazon's "Oasis Mossing Jute Twine String". I have cut it up into 1 cm lengths for spiky green growths and now have your idea of pine needles. Thanks for that.

danntheman

SMF Poster
\ said:
Hi again. Tony you never mentioned the halfords primer that many people use. It's cheaper and better than most model primers. I do a lot of Luftwaffe stuff and the white one is a good primer under those "difficult to get coverage" colours like yellow, red and ...err...white.
Steve
Hi, I used Halfords grey primer on a kit, but I seemed to get a very coarse finish, have you noticed this, or what could be the cause?

First Name
Patrick
\ said:
Hi, I used Halfords grey primer on a kit, but I seemed to get a very coarse finish, have you noticed this, or what could be the cause?
I prefer the Poundshop primer, but try warming the can in a saucepan of hot water. Obviously not boiling - straight from your kitchen hot tap will do.

Stand it for 5 minutes before agitating the can, then the full 2 minute shake (you can add a circular swirling motion)

Rub the model down with IPA or an automotive tack cloth to remove dust & skin oils.

Start off with a couple of light mist coats to prepare the surface. When spraying, keep the can close to the model - about 6" is fine so the primer goes down 'wet'.

If you've done all this already Dan.... try a different brand of primer or a new can!

Cheers

Patrick

stona

SMF Poster
First Name
Steve
\ said:
That can happen. I always rub down the model with some 2500 grit wet 'n' dry anyway. It doesn't happen all the time and I don't know what caused it.

Cheers

Steve

\ said:
That can happen. I always rub down the model with some 2500 grit wet 'n' dry anyway. It doesn't happen all the time and I don't know what caused it.
Cheers

Steve
Thanks for that

First Name
Patrick
Something like this might have been posted in the past, but whilst in Poundland today I espied these clothes pegs with rubber grips...
20161223_172110.jpg
They seem ideal for clamping small parts & grip better than the wooden ones.

Steve O

First Name
Steve
The bristles of paint brushes, clump them together and cut them down and you have winter grass if you paint them brown.

scott
Great advice, but also the use of bristles from more heavy duty brushes, the good old bass yard brush bristles can be used many ways in dioramas, also the nylon bristles from sweeping brushes, the list goes on.
Steve.