Under Pressure!

Crispier

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
A great song and also a conumdrum for me. I have recently aquired the Sparmax Arism, (discount code didnt work :sleeping2:) and used it for priming earlier today, the results were pretty good for a first timer with a brand newish iwata HPc (thanks Warren :smiling:).

When setting the presuure to 25psi for example, is it 25psi with the airbrush running or airbrush off? Sounds like a daft question but I cant find anything on youtube that answers it..

Crispier

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I set the pressure with the airbrush on, but It doesn't really matter, as long as you are consistent, and don't change your routine!
Dave
Thankls for that, if I do that I have to fully close the regulating valve to get 20psi.. maybe I have an issue with my set up

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just to show nothing is standard in airbrushing, I set mine with the airbrush off……Dave’s right, consistency is the key…….

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Normally, when I release the airbrush trigger, the pressure jumps up by about 5 psi ( 0.3 bar ). I normally spray at 1.5 bar ( 22 psi ). No idea what the top pressure is - the max I've used is 2 bar ( 30 psi ), but the system can handle it - my AS-186 runs a bit hot when you push it that hard, but I don't think I've ever sprayed continuously for more than ten mutes, so thats never a factor
Dave

Crispier

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Normally, when I release the airbrush trigger, the pressure jumps up by about 5 psi ( 0.3 bar ). I normally spray at 1.5 bar ( 22 psi ). No idea what the top pressure is - the max I've used is 2 bar ( 30 psi ), but the system can handle it - my AS-186 runs a bit hot when you push it that hard, but I don't think I've ever sprayed continuously for more than ten mutes, so thats never a factor
Dav

Dave
With my regulator fully closed all I get is 40psi as soon as I pull the trigger it drops to 18psi, I've checked for leaks and cant find any, I'll check connections again in themorning, thanks for your view

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve

With my regulator fully closed all I get is 40psi as soon as I pull the trigger it drops to 18psi, I've checked for leaks and cant find any, I'll check connections again in themorning, thanks for your view
It sounds like your set up doesn't have a reservoir (tank) ?

First Name
Andy
I am another that sets pressure with the airbrush off, never even considered setting it with the airbrush on, or perhaps I should say I have never heard of doing it that way until now. I also use a tankless compressor and do not get a noticeable pressure drop.

Andy.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I'm new to airbrushing but I work on pressure with airbrush on!! Horses for courses I guess. Whatever works for you and as I'm finding - consistency!!!

Crispier

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I get a pressure drop on the guage as soon as I pull trigger which I expected to happen as the pressure is being released, the count to airbrush on or off is 1-2 so far

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
If anything I'll set my pressure with the trigger pulled (dynamic pressure) rather than not (static pressure) but to be honest I can't really see what my gauge says, nor would I trust it anyway, so personally I don't worry about the actual reading.

Thicker paint and greater distance generally means more pressure, so if I'm moving in close or thinning my paint more I'll just keep winding down the pressure until it doesn't atomise correctly (paint comes out spitty rather than a fine mist and it sounds "crackly" coming out of the nozzle) then notch it back up a tad.

Not very scientific I know, but then neither is airbrushing :smiling4:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not very scientific I know, but then neither is airbrushing :smiling4:
Totally agree. Pretty much as many ways to airbrush as there are modellers, and they mostly all get good results so to me it’s a pretty bulletproof system. Best way to learn is to play with paint, brush and compressor until it works for you I think.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
A great song and also a conumdrum for me. I have recently aquired the Sparmax Arism, (discount code didnt work :sleeping2:) and used it for priming earlier today, the results were pretty good for a first timer with a brand newish iwata HPc (thanks Warren :smiling:).

When setting the presuure to 25psi for example, is it 25psi with the airbrush running or airbrush off? Sounds like a daft question but I cant find anything on youtube that answers it..
Just out of interest Chris did you put the code in the right place. There are two boxes for codes. The first you come, (I think its discount code), across doesn't accept the code. The second box, (Voucher code), does work. Used it tother night!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Totally agree. Pretty much as many ways to airbrush as there are modellers, and they mostly all get good results so to me it’s a pretty bulletproof system. Best way to learn is to play with paint, brush and compressor until it works for you I think.
Thats how I started getting results from mine. All the YT vids all the threads on here actually started overloading me. Then when I started using it and 'fiddling', thin mix, then thick, high and low pressures!!!!! A few sheets of blank paper to test on before actually spraying and presto - it all started happening. My only problem now is correcting my cock ups!!!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I tend to adjust the pressure like Andy does. So many variables, paint, distance from model, area to be covered, even the room temperature is a factor. I have no idea of the actual pressure but tend to work at the lowest pressure which gives the required "spray".

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I tend to adjust the pressure like Andy does. So many variables, paint, distance from model, area to be covered, even the room temperature is a factor. I have no idea of the actual pressure but tend to work at the lowest pressure which gives the required "spray".
It's not as if compressors have the gauge in a place that is visible most of the time!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It's not as if compressors have the gauge in a place that is visible most of the time!!
I’ve fitted a second gauge and PRV to the airbrush stand so I have one that is easy to adjust. I then just turned the PRV on the compressor up to about 50 and adjust the one on the stand to give air pressure as required. It’s not the same as a MAC valve, by the way. That reduces air flow, not pressure…..

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I’ve fitted a second gauge and PRV to the airbrush stand so I have one that is easy to adjust. I then just turned the PRV on the compressor up to about 50 and adjust the one on the stand to give air pressure as required. It’s not the same as a MAC valve, by the way. That reduces air flow, not pressure…..
I understood as far as PRV then all after was over the top of my bald little head. :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: Sorry!!!!!:smiling5: