Using CA accelerator

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening

Just bought CA accelerator, i understand you put CA on one side and Accel or other and hypresto! But can you apply it with a cocktail stick etc and I assume equal amount to CA??

Sorry to wake some chaps up

Bob

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Evening

Just bought CA accelerator, i understand you put CA on one side and Accel or other and hypresto! But can you apply it with a cocktail stick etc and I assume equal amount to CA??

Sorry to wake some chaps up

Bob
Bob have a mask on when usein the acelrator as its not very nice stuff

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob have a mask on when usein the acelrator as its not very nice stuff
Thanks Chris, not opened it yet!

i use a little brush to swab some acell on one part.......toothpick for ca on the other
Excellent, will try!
Dont do what i did bob and use a cotton bud soaked in the accelorator - it did the trick but i ended up with a load of cotton fluff stuck to the part too!!
Lovely a fluffy StuG, lol!!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bob I put the CA on the model or part to be stuck, line it up , and then a quick gentle burst of the spray. I've tried it in a lid and used an old paint brush as well , didn't think much to that. Might have been better using a needle or piece of wire just to take a drop.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob I put the CA on the model or part to be stuck, line it up , and then a quick gentle burst of the spray. I've tried it in a lid and used an old paint brush as well , didn't think much to that. Might have been better using a needle or piece of wire just to take a drop.
Thanks John, does the accelerator leave residue, if so hows it removed?

Bob

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Only Bob if you use too much, then I've noticed a white bloom on the CA, normally happens when you get a bit excited and get to much CA on the model.:nerd:

Never bothered about removing it, the paint covers it ok. Its never that much anyway.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Only Bob if you use too much, then I've noticed a white bloom on the CA, normally happens when you get a bit excited and get to much CA on the model.:nerd:

Never bothered about removing it, the paint covers it ok. Its never that much anyway.
Thanks John, bank of dunlop chq in the post;)

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Damn for got all about that stick Andrew.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Seem to remember someone saying you can get the accelerator in a bottle and not have bother with the spray.
Any idea where to buy it ?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
ANDREW do they do one with a pointed tip ?
chris
Hi Chris

The short answer is I don't know, sorry.

This particular set is aimed at the the DIY and came with three bottles of their standard super glue, eg....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PKGYQMW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_RJVS1Q1Q1JY1XGS7T7D1

I'm on my second set of the super glue but the pen from the first set still works. I apply the super glue to the kit and then wipe the piece across the pen tip, applying the accelerator that way.

Sorry I can't of more help but you might find one online somewhere with a quick search.

ATB.

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris

The short answer is I don't know, sorry.

This particular set is aimed at the the DIY and came with three bottles of their standard super glue, eg....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PKGYQMW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_RJVS1Q1Q1JY1XGS7T7D1

I'm on my second set of the super glue but the pen from the first set still works. I apply the super glue to the kit and then wipe the piece across the pen tip, applying the accelerator that way.

Sorry I can't of more help but you might find one online somewhere with a quick search.

ATB.

Andrew
CHEERS Andrew for your reply an yes i'll have a look around
chris

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Never used this myself, but would it be possible to decant some into a jar from the spraycan and dispense it from there?

thats what i do........cos it evaporates so quickly, i just squirt a little in the cans lid, use a small brush to apply it the stick the bit with ca on to it

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Paul. I have had a bit of a read around about CA accelerators and am going to try Tamiya X-20A thinners. Accelerator seems to be mostly water with acetone as a fast dryer and deacidifier. X-20A is Isopropyl alcohol in water so may well do the same job.....albeit slightly slower.