Using Compressed Air Cans with Conventional Airbrush

TwitchyBill

SMF Supporter
First Name
Billy
Hi all,

Apologies for what seems like a silly question, but I was just wondering is there an adapter out there that will allow you to use a conventional Airbrush connection (sorry not sure what it is called) with compressed air cans?

(Pictures attached)
PXL_20230201_152741838.jpgPXL_20230201_152408076.jpg
I have four lying around and was wondering if I could use them?

Thanks in advance!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The short answer is “yes there is”. You need something like this though..
I would also check with the supplier first to make sure it fits your type of can.

You might find this less than satisfactory, by the way. I used compair cans before I could afford a compressor, and found them less than good. As the can cools (which it will when the compair is let out) the supplied pressure drops. As the can warms up it goes up again. This makes fine control quite difficult to achieve. There is also no way to control air pressure unless you also invest in a pressure reducing valve and connect the can to it.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As the can cools (which it will when the compair is let out) the supplied pressure drops. As the can warms up it goes up again.
One way round that is to put the can into a bucket of warm water, before & whilst you are spraying.
Obviously it depends on how much airbrushing you intend to do & if the price of an adaptor is going to be justified by 4 cans of compressed air!
Dave

TwitchyBill

SMF Supporter
First Name
Billy
The short answer is “yes there is”. You need something like this though..
I would also check with the supplier first to make sure it fits your type of can.

You might find this less than satisfactory, by the way. I used compair cans before I could afford a compressor, and found them less than good. As the can cools (which it will when the compair is let out) the supplied pressure drops. As the can warms up it goes up again. This makes fine control quite difficult to achieve. There is also no way to control air pressure unless you also invest in a pressure reducing valve and connect the can to it.
Great, thanks! You are absolutely right, the cans are nowhere near as good as a proper adjustable compressor. Only reason I ask is because I have four full cans lying around and I thought I might as well use them, even if it's just for generic work like priming...