USS Enterprise (Revell 1:720) hull colour

A

AlasdairGF

Hi - am building my first ship model with my son: the Revell USS Enterprise in 1:720. Honestly I'm not that impressed with the kit so far and for the most part I'm just trying to get it done so I can move onto something a bit more satisfying and my son can take the carrier and start the long process of destruction!

But, but, but... I'm bugged by the issue of the hull colour. The instructions call for the lower hull part to be painted matt black (Revell 8) and the upper hull pieces to be painted grey (Revell 57). Can this be right? Leaving aside issues of lightening blacks for scale effect, I can't find a single picture that backs this up, either of the original or other people's models. I see either a red lower hull, or a dark grey with a black waterline stripe.

What would the correct colours be? I'm just doing the OOB kit which places the model any time prior to her 1980s refit. And if red, what shade red are we talking?

Thanks in advance!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Really got confused there I thought you were building a star ship lol

I think it's correct Alistair some ships do have a black lower hull so it's quite possible that it's correct

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I found out an interesting thing from a real military shipbuilder. The red, is anti-fouling but is actually a more purple colour than a vivid red. Also, the black anti-fouling reacts to the seawater so actually goes a black/grey colour. I would paint the model, a black/grey-lower hull then a sharp waterline in black followed by grey hull.

Si:smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Instructions for the 1/350 Tamiya give the same colours as the Pit Road model shown.

Gern

A

AlasdairGF

Thanks chaps - the deck markings also v useful there as the Revell kit has no decals or painting guide for this, just some slightly raised surfaces and the box art. Think I'll go for the grey w black waterline as suggested.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Only asking Alistair, but are you going to be painting the 1300+ tie downs on the deck?

Gern

A

AlasdairGF

\ said:
ive done enterprise in i.600 a few years back. its a complete black hull.... no waterline band.
Have you got a source for that? I can see hints of this on a few photos, but can't really tell (what with all the ocean in the way!), but haven't seen this on a completed model, though I have seen the grey w/black waterline band scheme in a couple of photos.

@dave: You're 'aving a giraffe, ain'tcha?! (Though... one way to do this would be to make a template with approximately spaced holes just larger than pinprick-sized, and paint over in a dark grey before doing deck markings... Oh great, now you've got me thinking about it...!!!)

First Name
rob
i just took it straight from the instruction sheet... it didnt surprise me as ive built RN warships with completely black hulls . ive been to portsmouth naval dockyard and seen their gorgeous models and yes theres definately ones with blagk hulls

First Name
rob
if you do decide to go with the red hull, have a look at humbrol 73 or 70. sorry i cant give you a more definate answer al .

A

AlasdairGF

OK, maybe the (much simpler!) black hull is the way to go...

Thanks everyone for great info!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
All the pictures I can find of Enterprise have the anti-foul red hull with a black water line.

In the video of her final trip to the Newport Shipyard on this page you can see the red, albeit a little faded, but this was after her last voyage.

http://nns.huntingtoningalls.com/employees/pub/watch/cvn65-arrives.html

First Name
Adrian
I'm just about finished building the Tamiya 1/350th and its red lower hull.

Just for shear plain crazy check out this 1/72nd Enterprise,,, complete with all 1/72 aircraft !!!!!!

http://www.carrierbuilders.net/gallery/20070318_USS_Enterprise_1-72/20070318_USS_Enterprise_1-72.htm

Adrian