USS Franklin (CV13) 'The ship that wouldn't sink'. March 1945

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
During WW2, the American carrier USS Franklin was steaming within 50 miles of the Japanese mainland.
The aircraft on her flight and hanger decks were all armed and ready for missions, when a lone, undetected Japanese dive bomber attacked out of the clouds....

It dropped two 500lb A.P. bombs. Both hit and penetrated the flight deck aft. The resultant explosions set off the carrier aircraft's bombs and rockets which destroyed 56 of the ship's aircraft. Fierce fires and flying debris followed.

Nearly 800 souls lost their lives and 300 were injured. Making this the second worst loss of life in US Naval history (USS Arizona. 1200 killed at Pearl Harbour being the worst)

Refusing to abandon the ship, the Franklin's crew fought fires for two days and eventually were able to make headway and return to base for repairs. "A ship that won't sink, can't be sunk!" became the crew's watch word.
The full story makes for excellent reading.......

The kit is the Revell 1/720 USS Franklin. An old kit for sure, but I didn't want a newer, more detailed one as it seemed a waste of money and time as I'm going to to try and trash it, using the box art as a bit of a loose guide!

P1370093.JPG

Very basic moulding, but enough. A separate lower hull is supplied. I will add this at a later stage.
P1370098.JPG

A few guns added.
P1370099.JPG

P1370100.JPG

No hanger deck supplied, so as you can see through the vessel, I made a basic one out of a cereal box.
P1370101.JPG

I've also cut out the two elevators and added the 'Island'. All ready to shove in the hanger deck.
P1370102.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Will be watching with interest as I bought, (sort of by mistake on Ebay when trying to buy something else and spotted this odd one with motor going cheap! ) an Aircraft Carrier which looks like it should keep me busy when I finish the HMS Royal Oak ..........
Have fun !IMG_6390.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the post Steve.
Your carrier looks an interesting build. I'll look out for the start of it....

Update.
Hanger deck and lower hull fitted, the 'Island' completed and I've brush painted the ship a light grey. I freehanded the boot topping as there is no need for any dead on neatness as you will soon discover......

It's quite straight forward brush painting the boot topping on a water line model. Just place the ship on a flat surface then, with a pencil, mark around the hull at a suitable height for the black line, then brush up to the line.....Even easier if the kit has the line raised on the hull, just butt the brush up to it. It might be small, but it's enough to guide the brush.

I used the pencil method with this model, and then stuck the red bit under the black/grey top bit.:nerd:

P1370103.JPGP1370104.JPGP1370105.JPG

I've left off all the masthead tall bits 'till later, as I'm sure to knock them off!
P1370106.JPG

Next I'll start on the damage - Of which there is loads.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Welcome Paul.

The stern saw the worst damage, but there was fire along it's whole length, particularly the hanger deck......

I've started to blacken the vessel. Working vertically with my 'Yard brush', I slurried on some Dk. Grey acrylic and let it run where it liked.

P1370110.JPG

P1370111.JPG

Next, a second, darker coating.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks to Mick, Jim and Ian for your positive comments.

The whole Franklin saga shows that the human spirit can prevail......

More blackening for fire and smoke damage.
P1370107.JPG

P1370108.JPG

P1370109.JPG

P1370112.JPG

P1370113.JPG

Next, I'll set about the flight deck damage. Time to light the gas ring on the cooker!

Cheers.
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
This is all excellent stuff Ron but what's happened to your cuckoo clock and have you decided what to do with your Pegasus yet?

PS For the sake of all the Gods, please don't let John watch the next bit! The last thing he needs are hints and tips on starting fires!

PPS I know, as the world's worst finisher of models, I'm being a bit cheeky asking if you're gonna finish yours!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Front row seat 570 . In reality a terrible outcome , and such a massive loss of life .

The mere mention of fire by Dave has me drawn in :smiling2: any advice freely given , mind not had much experience with plastic so maybe no help .
453 . On stand by .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

"Chrispy" I like that Andy.

Dave, the clock build got took over by aliens...... ;)
I'm working on different 'aspects' for the Pegasus water.

453, thank you for your very kind offer, but I am an arse nist of sorts meself....;);)
We really should join forces!

P1210684.JPG

P1210691.JPG

Rick. Don't worry. No flames, just plenty of hot metal stabber thingies!

A start on the aft deck damage. The elevator is no more and the large hole just aft is the entry hole for one of the 500lb bombs. There were also smaller holes caused by the exploding bombs and rockets fixed to the aircraft ready for take off at the time of the attack......Bit of a general mess really!

The initial work....
I used the very hot end of an old screwdriver blade and kind'a hacked and levered my way into the plastic.

P1370116.JPG

P1370117.JPG

Next I'll titivate the molten mess a tad.

Thanks for looking in and I trust you will forgive my slight diversion to the Hospital at Rorke's Drift. It just seemed rather apt. If mods. disagree please feel free to delete the two rogue images and any writings connected.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
View attachment 487204

View attachment 487206

View attachment 487207

View attachment 487208

Thanks for looking in and I trust you will forgive my slight diversion to the Hospital at Rorke's Drift. It just seemed rather apt. If mods. disagree please feel free to delete the two rogue images and any writings connected.

Cheers.
Ron

I know putting pictures of other modellers work in a thread is rightly discouraged, but .... your thread, your build, your pictures. I can't see why anyone would think it disrespectful.

Besides, you recycle some of your older dios by adding new vehicles or figures so including pictures of them is kind of compulsory, and nobody is going to object to that.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks to Steve and Dave for their comments.

Update.
I've filed and ground away any unnecessary snots and stringy bits. Also added some more dark paint here and there.

Here's how the deck looks after the surgery.
P1370118.JPG

Next I'll add some detail and rubble etc.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jim and Paul. Thank you for your positive posts. :thumb2:

A bit more work on the aft flight deck section.

I'm leaving off all the A.A. stuff until later.

I made the bent deck cross members (Whatever they are) out of paper and placed them over the bomb entry hole and the edge of the busted aft elevator.

P1370143.JPG

Here I've added some 'squiggles' and stuff
P1370144.JPG

I filled the hanger deck with the destroyed elevator and bits snipped from this and that to replicated severe damage to the hanger deck. After dripping in some PVA, I also tipped in a bit of sweepings from our drive.
P1370145.JPG

This shows the damage to the port side
P1370146.JPG

A closer look down into the hanger deck
P1370147.JPG

Next, more rubble etc.

Cheers.
Ron