Vallejo Matt Varnish

A

AVB99

Hello

I have started using this product and I have to say I'm very disappointed. I have four figures in military uniform (German) and I have painted these with Tamiya flat paints. There is a slight sheen on the grren uniform so I decided to use the matt varnish to get rid of it but it doesn't. There is a slight gloss after the varnish has dried. The instructions say to apply light coats. I have applied two so far. I

s it like gloss, the more one adds, the more gloss it gets, but in reverse?

Or am I expecting too much? A number of finished models which are posted here seem to have a slight gloss sheen. Being a relevant newbie I never comment because I have much to learn, but I do, sometimes, wonder. Recently there was a dio posted with figures which had slightly glossy uniforms. (this is not a criticism in any way) Is this a limitation of the tools we have to use? Is it my own lack of skill and I'm doing something wrong?

Any suggestions would be gratefuly appreciated.

Thanks

AIdab

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Aidan,I use the stuff om a lot of my models and get a fairly flat finish. I can only suggest that it might not have been completely mixed. The matting agent (something akin to talcum powder) does tend to drop out of the mixture and a really good stir is required to re-incorporate it. If it is applied with less of the matting agent than it is supposed to have the result will be correspondingly less flat.

Cheers

Steve

A

AVB99

\ said:
Hi Aidan,I use the stuff om a lot of my models and get a fairly flat finish. I can only suggest that it might not have been completely mixed. The matting agent (something akin to talcum powder) does tend to drop out of the mixture and a really good stir is required to re-incorporate it. If it is applied with less of the matting agent than it is supposed to have the result will be correspondingly less flat.Cheers

Steve
Thanks Steve. You may well be right. It comes in those irritating bottles with the pointed end so all I can do is shake the bottle. Perhaps the shaking is not enough. I'll have to test your theory by cutting the end off the top and putting the varnish in a different pot.

Aidan

First Name
Dave
The top of those Vallejo eye dropper bottles can be prised off then put back after use.The bottles are brilliant if you use an airbrush as you can decant small amounts into the airbrush cup.I have had great results with this product and find it dries matt when stirred properly and airbrushed with a bit of Vallejo thinner.

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
\ said:
Thanks Steve. You may well be right. It comes in those irritating bottles with the pointed end so all I can do is shake the bottle. Perhaps the shaking is not enough. I'll have to test your theory by cutting the end off the top and putting the varnish in a different pot. Aidan
Hi Aidan,

I have recently started using Vallejo matt vanish i gave mine a good shake when i bought it then let it settle for a while and got extremely flat results from, it, You can take the top off a Vallejo container,just above the thread there is a lip where the eye dropper bit begins either finger nail or thin blunt edge of a knife would pop the bung out then you could get a cocktail stick in to stir with if you need to :smiling3:

Hope this helps

Cheers,Ben

Last edited by a moderator:

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
\ said:
The top of those Vallejo eye dropper bottles can be prised off then put back after use.The bottles are brilliant if you use an airbrush as you can decant small amounts into the airbrush cup.I have had great results with this product and find it dries matt when stirred properly and airbrushed with a bit of Vallejo thinner.
aha i need to speed up typing Dave,otherwise looks like double posting :P

First Name
Dave
No problem Ben.Yours is a better explanation anyway.

P

phalinmegob

also remember that sometimes on the web ,the picture or rather the camera and lighting make things look a little shiny,does not help when you are stood looking at something but the pictures on the web can be deceiving,i noticed one of my posts the other day looked shiny in the photo but can assure that they are not in real life, but then i have a shi camera phone. i have recently started using vallejo varnish and had not real problems (thinning with water) apart from every time i try to use the the stuff i have to take the top off and use a coctail stick to scoop out the gloop from the nozzle.......every time!

T

tecdes

To get the top off just hold the bottle in the hand & push the top over with the thumb then ease off.

Matter of interest Vallejo do an Acrylic Polyurethane Varnish in Gloss Satin & Matt. It is clear compared to the Model Varnish which has the Acrylic Resin. Supposed to be tougher than Model Varnish.

Auxiliary products

This shows all the Varnishes for Fine Arts section. Not tried it yet but will against Model Varnish & let you know.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The three golden rules of varnish. Regardless of the name on the lable.

1) shake, or stir well

2) repeate step one.

3) shake/stir it some more.

The best gloss finish I have ever achieved was with a bottle of Humbrol matt varnish. WOW it was nice and shiny. Trouble was it was on a Matilda tank!

Ian M

C

CDW

The shiney figures might be on one of my dios, but as Andrew says above when you look at them in the flesh they're not at all.

I use citadel acrylics and they pick up the flash quite badly as they're such smooth paints (primarily made to cover white metal which has superior detail to plastic in most cases)

I've never used varnish/laquer (apart from hairspray) on models but if it's anything like the finishing coat when in a spray booth you'd benefit from letting the mix settle a while after shaking as Ben says above, thats after a really good mix/stir as per Ians advice.

T

tecdes

\ said:
The three golden rules of varnish. Regardless of the name on the lable.1) shake, or stir well

2) repeate step one.

3) shake/stir it some more.

The best gloss finish I have ever achieved was with a bottle of Humbrol matt varnish. WOW it was nice and shiny. Trouble was it was on a Matilda tank!

Ian M
Interesting Ian but this Varnish I mention above a strange one. Makes no difference in stirring or shaking. Whereas the Model Air stuff you definetly have to stir up in a vigorous manner this polyurethane stuff not at all.

Tried a bit to night & it does seem very shiny (gloss one). But will have another go tomorrow.

Laurie

A

AVB99

Thanks to everyone who posted. Yes you are correct, the top does come off which is handy. I have followed Ian's three goolden rules but have added a fourth: - stir it and shake it some more! Yes it IS better. It really does need a lot of mixing. Thanks again everyone.

Aidan