Vallejo primer question

First Name
Dave
I've got one of the large bottles of Vallejo primer.Does anyone know if you can spray enamel paints on top of this primer?.I know you can't spray enamel on top of acrylic because the solvent in the enamel will attack the acrylic paint.But this stuff is a bit different.I will try it out on a piece of scrap tomorrow.I was just wondering if anyone had the answer?.The reason I want to do this is I can't get into town at the moment to buy some more acrylic 'Sky'.But I've a couple of tins of enamel which I can use instead.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm I have not had problems painting Enamel on top of Acrylic...I even use enamels thinned right out with turps as a wash.

I think if you leave the primer to cure a couple of days, it will be OK.

Ian M

P

Polux

Hi Dave.

I paint after the primer a coat of varnish (gloss) and then the enamels.

Or you can do like I'm doing now, I mix a drops of varnish with the primer. Now it's more stronger and better to work after.

Hope this help you!

Polux

First Name
Dave
Well,I sprayed two coats of thinned Xtracolour enamel Sky over the Vallejo Acrylic primer.And no reaction,as Ian M said there wouldnt be.Must have got my paints mixed up!.

T

tecdes

Vallejo customer service will always give a definitive answer Dave.

They do need all the information of what you are using & how you are using it. About 2 hours on average for an answer. If they cannot give a definite they will give helpful advice I have found.

There are a lot of naughty decorators who use emulsion as a primer & then oil paint on top. Seems to work but the emulsion does not fill as primer does.

Laurie

L

Lancasterb1

I use a Vallejo or Tamiya primer from the can then use acrylic over the top, never have any bad reaction to that at all. However I do tend to use the Vallejo acrylic primer for my tank builds and that is a great base for anything. For whatever reason I cannot seem to get away with using enamels as the finishing coat these days.

B

Bunkerbarge

It's always worth learning from other's experiments! At the end of the day you have a lovely finish there so well worth remembering. I always recomend testing on scrap first though to prevent lengthy stripping jobs or seeing how the Spit really flies out of the window!!

First Name
Dave
\ said:
It's always worth learning from other's experiments! At the end of the day you have a lovely finish there so well worth remembering. I always recomend testing on scrap first though to prevent lengthy stripping jobs or seeing how the Spit really flies out of the window!!
Thanks Richard.I tested on an old model before I sprayed he Spitfire.Wasnt going to risk a nearly completed model.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like it came out well.

The only paint I have had any problem with is 'track pads' waterbased paints. I dont know what base they are but they smell of poo! They didn't like having a white spirit/oil paint wash, it went all crinckly, funny enough it dried back down though.

Ian M