Veterans Weekend Hull. Model Boats.

First Name
Gregg
Spent a day at our local veterans weekend and took many assorted photo's.

I thought they would be easier to view if I separated them into associated categories.

these were some of the model boats on display, all working with R/C.

The lifeboat had working windscreen wipers/searchlights etc.

Unfortunately the colour of the tent tended to affect the overall colouring.

View attachment 85978

View attachment 85979

View attachment 85980

View attachment 85981

View attachment 85982

View attachment 85984

View attachment 85985

View attachment 85986

View attachment 85987

DSC_0074.jpg

DSCF2037.JPG

DSCF2038.JPG

DSCF2039.JPG

DSCF2040.JPG

DSCF2041.JPG

DSCF2042.JPG

DSCF2043.JPG

DSCF2044.JPG

L

Laurie

Gregg any of the old Humber paddler steamers there ?

About 1959 I went up to Hull to see Grandma with my Triumph Thunderbird and Bullet sporty type sidecar . Crossed the Humber there and back from New Holland to Hull on the old Paddle Steamers.

Amazing memory enjoyed every moment. As the paddles swished away.

Uncle, Laurie Johnson, Lord Mayor one year with the title of and Admiral of the Humber was taken on an HMS Destroyer the length of the Humber to inspect his domain. No one was allowed not to know of this event.

Laurie

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Very nice boats Gregg, thanks again for putting them up. I recognise some of them from Harrogate show earlier this year, some crackers.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
Very cool. That rust bucket trawler looks amazing.
That is the 'Arctic Corsair' one of the most famous of trawlers in Hull.

The real thing is berthed on the 'River Hull' restored and open to the public.

Laurie: Unfortunately no models of 'Lincoln Castle' 'PS Brocklsby' 'P.S. Cleethorpes' 'P.S. Farringford' ' Freshwater' 'waverley' or any of the other paddle steamers that provided the crossing to New Holland prior to 'The Humber Bridge' being built.

Gregg

L

Laurie

\ said:
Laurie: Unfortunately no models of 'Lincoln Castle' 'PS Brocklsby' 'P.S. Cleethorpes' 'P.S. Farringford' ' Freshwater' 'waverley' or any of the other paddle steamers that provided the crossing to New Holland prior to 'The Humber Bridge' being built.Gregg
Such a shame as they were really beautiful looking craft.

Laurie

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
wow, some very impressive work there, thanks for sharing

B

Bunkerbarge

All,

If you like models such as these you should try to get to one of the model boat events or shows throughout the year where large numbers of clubs show thier models off to the public. Ones of note are CADMA, near Doncaster, Harrogate Model Engineering Show, Warwick, Ellesmere Port, Blackpool, etc..etc.. All have large numbers of model boats on show and are a great display of scale modelling for us all to enjoy.

Laurie,

I didn't know you were a Thunderbird man! Mine is a 1957 model, like me!!

View attachment 86036

View attachment 86035

L1024282.jpg

L1024300.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Now those are beauty's gregg , I might be wrong but I think there was a 60s Ark Royall in there :smiling3:

L

Laurie

\ said:
All,Laurie,

I didn't know you were a Thunderbird man! Mine is a 1957 model, like me!!

That is the one Richard a real beauty and it did thunder as well.

This was the same as mine wih h sidecar similar to this. Great combination and very exciting to drive. Go around a corner faster than any other vehicle.

View attachment 86049

View attachment 86050

Apologies for high jacking your article Gregg.

Laurie
triumphSIDECAR.jpg

TRIUMPH3.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Really beautiful model ships and boats. Hard to pick a favourite as they're all so very good!

Thanks for posting the pics.

Paul

First Name
Gregg
Not a problem as I'm always interested in old motorbikes/scooters/cars!

Gregg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That Life Boat looks rather large!

Some great boats and ships there. Thanks for sharing

Ian M

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
Gregg any of the old Humber paddler steamers there ?About 1959 I went up to Hull to see Grandma with my Triumph Thunderbird and Bullet sporty type sidecar . Crossed the Humber there and back from New Holland to Hull on the old Paddle Steamers.

Amazing memory enjoyed every moment. As the paddles swished away.

Uncle, Laurie Johnson, Lord Mayor one year with the title of and Admiral of the Humber was taken on an HMS Destroyer the length of the Humber to inspect his domain. No one was allowed not to know of this event.

Laurie
Another just for you Laurie.

Enjoy!

Gregg

L

Laurie

Thanks for that Gregg. That is remarkable piece of film.

Who ever filmed and edited it must be an accomplished character in the film world. Part of my life was in filming and editing and that is very good indeed.

Amazing the engines for the size of the boat. The fact that they had am engineer control the engines way down in the engine room.

Brought back a lot of memories. I remember as a young man about 20 with my motor bike and sidecar driving on to the boat there. That would be about 1958.

Thanks again Gregg much appreciated.

Laurie

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
Thanks for that Gregg. That is remarkable piece of film.Who ever filmed and edited it must be an accomplished character in the film world. Part of my life was in filming and editing and that is very good indeed.

Amazing the engines for the size of the boat. The fact that they had am engineer control the engines way down in the engine room.

Brought back a lot of memories. I remember as a young man about 20 with my motor bike and sidecar driving on to the boat there. That would be about 1958.

Thanks again Gregg much appreciated.

Laurie
Your welcome Laurie.

Gregg

First Name
Gregg
Sorry to say that after Lincoln Castle was used as a club/restaurant, it was towed over to Grimsby to be dismantled.

One of the other Paddle Steamers was taken down south and restored, not sure where though.

View attachment 86334

View attachment 86335

Lincoln Castle.jpg

Lincoln Castle Demise..jpg