Volvo F16 Globetrotter

First Name
Charles
I've been looking for this model for a while and finally got it. The fittings were 'ok', but the worst part was the grill which did not fit together very well. I've seen the real vehicle and they do have a reasonable amount of space between the front cab and the grill but not that much. Although I have seen pic with the space slightly large, it was still hard to get it to fit snugly against the cab front. That pisst me off. If I have flush mounted the grill it would have shorten the area where the Volvo insignia were suppose to go. So I mounted the gril with as is and glued two pieces of strips, to play the part as extra add-on accessories, just to hide the non-flush mounted grill against the cab. ;( I usually dismantle a model if I am not 100% satified with it, as I have done in the past; but since this was a hard-to-find kit, I decided to live with the imperfetion this particular kit had.

Another grip is the dashboard on the driver side. Have to ask. In the instructions it is stated to be so but there is a gap between the side of the dashboard and the door( you can see the gap I am referring to in the WIP interior photos). So you do see the inside of the outter cab. Is it really so on the real F16 models? Again, it just bothers me and again, it is something I have to live with but although I am not too confortable about it. The decals for the dashboard was also bad. I had to use dry transfer that I had bought eons ago for my 1/35 scale military modeling to use instead. To my surprise it worked out pretty well.

Another issue was with the windshield. It was near impossible to get it to fit the cab frames. The frame was actually wrapped. Just my luck. :sad: In short, it was smaller that the cab frame. So I came up with the idea to add tape on the passenger side to give the effect that it needed some maintainence.

Anyway, the build went together nicely dispite these two issues. I had to replace the fuel tank due to a mishap with the original. That is why it is shorter. We'll just assume there was a slight accident and the crew had it replaced with another tank until a new one could be delivered. I wanted to add a reasonable amount of details on this model and that's why you see many addictional parts. I used a lot of parts from my 'misc. box' for various areas. Added another storage box on the passager side as well. I scratch built the upward ram( do not know what it is called) to the fifth wheel. I always thought these look better. I decided to also do a well detailed interior( hard to take pics ofthe finished interior while mounted. I should have taken it before mounting it( stupid me) Anyways, I took a couple of it before mounting it but only in the WIP phase. I scratch built things like the seat arm rest, seat adjustments control on the driver side.

I do hope you like the final build dispite these few issues.

------------------------

P

Polux

Great work and a great truck, as always mate!!!

It must to be difficult to drive with these posters as company!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cheers. Polux

C

Caledonia

Hi Charles, superb piece of workmanship there Sir, 5 Star. Cheers Derek

P

phalinmegob

it never ceases to amaze how close you get to the real thing in your builds charles, i mean we all try to get as close as we can but 90% of the time you can always tell it is a model but yours just look like photos of real trucks.you have the knack allright well done and another beautifull build......five stars from me.

First Name
Charles
\ said:
it never ceases to amaze how close you get to the real thing in your builds charles, i mean we all try to get as close as we can but 90% of the time you can always tell it is a model but yours just look like photos of real trucks.you have the knack allright well done and another beautifull build......five stars from me.
Thank you kindly for that Andrew. I do appreciate it. I do my utmost effort to achieve this effect. :smiling3: After all, that's the only way I am satisfy and can avoid dismantling another model ;)

K

Keith9657

I have to agree totally with Andrew's comments. The picture of the truck on the home page (the Scania 144 flatbed)looks like you've got a truck parked on your drive!

Keith

First Name
Charles
Better pic I could not edit my original post so I just opened a new post:

T

treyzx10r

Charles that is a slendid build and could easily pass for the real deal! Very nicely done Sir!!!

J

Jazz

hi there tiking, yet another amazing lorry,

thought i would put you mind at ease about some of your questions

the gap between the dash and the door is there in the real one, i can get my hand between the dash and the door, and the plates behind the fifth wheels are called skids.

if i remember tomorrow will take some pics of the real one if that helps put you mind at rest

since i have driven this truck loads of times i am well impressed with your art.

so wish i could build mine like you build yours.

First Name
Charles
\ said:
hi there tiking, yet another amazing lorry,thought i would put you mind at ease about some of your questions

the gap between the dash and the door is there in the real one, i can get my hand between the dash and the door, and the plates behind the fifth wheels are called skids.

if i remember tomorrow will take some pics of the real one if that helps put you mind at rest

since i have driven this truck loads of times i am well impressed with your art.

so wish i could build mine like you build yours.
Thank you so much Jason. Much appreciated. Now I can rest knowing it is okay. :smiling3: Thank you for that. I would love to see photos of the real one, with the space. Skids. Now I will remember that.

J

Jazz

Will get some pictures done for you so that you can see

would love to known how you do your bubbly rust effect, i think it looks amazing and how you do you paint peeling affect like on the near side front mud guard where the orange paint is showing the black plastic underneath, a lot of our older trucks have that and i have never quite got it to look like yours.

would be nice to learn from you if you don't mind sharing that is.

First Name
Charles
\ said:
Will get some pictures done for you so that you can seewould love to known how you do your bubbly rust effect, i think it looks amazing and how you do you paint peeling affect like on the near side front mud guard where the orange paint is showing the black plastic underneath, a lot of our older trucks have that and i have never quite got it to look like yours.

would be nice to learn from you if you don't mind sharing that is.
Hi Jason. thanks for your response. The paint peeling effect is very easy. The underneath paint is simply Matt black and the cover orange paint is lack orange. I think it helps if the underneath paint is Matt. This makes it easier to remove the top paint. Then I just take a xto knife and pick at it. I usually wait a day to remove the paint. But just do a test to see if it works.