Washes?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Chill out Dubster. You are spot on about pin washes but for a sludge wash you can indeed apply with an airbrush. When using the Flory washes I have not airbrushed but have applied it all over with a wide brush. When it is dry you moisten a cloth and work over the model wiping in the direction of airflow or gravity removing the wash, getting it into the nooks and crannies where you want it to get the effect you want. It can work very well and most of my models have when done that way. There are different ways of dong the job with different materials.

R

Richy C

Patrick you gave me loads of advice when I knew nothing about modelling and joined this forum a many years ago , I stand by my post - flory washes airbrushed give a great effect be it on a dirty dusty rally car or on a desert dio , it works , I also use washes in the normal way be it panel lines pin washes etc etc , like Barry has said there are different ways of doing jobs with different materials.

I was just trying to say it works for me and you can do it .

Don`t wan`t to fall out with you because I respect you.

Richy

L

Laurie

\ said:
What absolute rubbish!! How in God's name can a wash be applied with an airbrush?
The point of a wash is to give depth by filling in panel lines, nooks & crannies etc - using an AB would just blow the wash all over the place! Plus you'd spend way more time cleaning the excess up - with an acrylic it'd be dry before you'd got anywhere!

And what is this continual need for everything to be done quickly? Has patience been abolished?

If I apply a wash, I do it with a 000 brush & allow capillary action to take it where it needs to go. Precisely & effectively. Usually the only area of clean up is a small area from the initial application.

If I want a quick drying wash, I use lighter fluid as the thinning medium.

Jeez, stuff like this gets my goat!
Patrick calm down old chap. Just get yourself a life.

Now I suggest you run your bath and have a good steamy wash. :smiling3:

To be serious.

A wash is the application of a translucent paint film with what ever paint or ink you want to

use brush mark free and with what ever way you apply it. That is a wash.

With a brush you will always need a wet line to the base of the wash to pull it down to

provide a free of brush mark finish. Believe me I have rendered so many architectural

drawings in my life.

With an airbrush a wet line is not needed you keep the airbrush moving.

You say. The point of a wash is to give depth by filling in panel lines, nooks &

crannies etc
. I do not use that technique so who is right or wrong. Neither of us of

course we use the techniques we have developed and which suit the way we work.

You say. Jeez, stuff like this gets my goat. Well I suppose it is the Sabbath and

Jesus did have an affinity with goats. Just feel sorry for your goat !

Laurie

D

dubster72

\ said:
Chill out Dubster. You are spot on about pin washes but for a sludge wash you can indeed apply with an airbrush. When using the Flory washes I have not airbrushed but have applied it all over with a wide brush. When it is dry you moisten a cloth and work over the model wiping in the direction of airflow or gravity removing the wash, getting it into the nooks and crannies where you want it to get the effect you want. It can work very well and most of my models have when done that way. There are different ways of dong the job with different materials.
I quite agree Barry. I've seen vids of using Flory washes & some people have achieved excellent results.

However, they're much more suited to the smooth lines of aircraft - try doing it on a tank & you'd be pulling your hair out & re-gluing all the bits you pulled off!

Patrick

D

dubster72

\ said:
Patrick calm down old chap. Just get yourself a life.
Now I suggest you run your bath and have a good steamy wash. :smiling3:

To be serious.

A wash is the application of a translucent paint film with what ever paint or ink you want to

With a brush you will always need a wet line to the base of the wash to pull it down to

provide a free of brush mark finish. Believe me I have rendered so many architectural

drawings in my life.

With an airbrush a wet line is not needed you keep the airbrush moving.

You say. The point of a wash is to give depth by filling in panel lines, nooks &

crannies etc
. I do not use that technique so who is right or wrong. Neither of us of

course we use the techniques we have developed and which suit the way we work.

You say. Jeez, stuff like this gets my goat. Well I suppose it is the Sabbath and

Jesus did have an affinity with goats. Just feel sorry for your goat !

Laurie
Thanks for the advice Laurie, but I do have a fulfilling life already - I don't need to go & look for it.

I really think that you don't know what a wash is! What's the reference to brush marks?? And no, it's not a ' translucent ' finish! You need to see the effect of the wash so it has to be opaque!

And as you've poo-pooed my definition, what's yours? What is the purpose of a wash?

The reason why I'm peeved is because you cut & paste some advertising guff from the holy of holies ; the Vallejo website! That doesn't mean it's right or prove its efficacy!

However, if you've had good results applying a wash using an airbrush then how about a tutorial? I'd love to learn something new ;)

First Name
Jason
\ said:
That is how I would describe a filter Laurie. Which is a very different thing to a panel line wash.

I've never airbrushed a panel line wash because I only want it in the panel lines.

B

Benhur

I presume a wash is to show the general age and patination of a model as against one just out of the factory.

In theory you could just leave the model outside for a week or so and the UK climate would do the work for you.

For me it is very little paint and lots of water and just slop it on and use cotton buds and kitchen towels to smear or remove and then add other colours in small amounts. By using plenty of water you can remove what you don't like.

If Laurie has success by using an airbrush then for him this works and for others it is an ordinary brush if that is what works for them.

I have two or three models that I kept which were not well built and practice with washes on them.

L

Laurie

A wash is a wash. How you manipulate or use a wash is a technique.. How you

apply it is a technique brush or airbrush. All to produce what I want on my model.

Really do not know what the argument is about. I just do what I want with a wash.

I have no real use for the technique names I just do at the time that which gives me what

I want using techniques which I have thought would work. I do a lot of experimenting

with techniques some work some do not. I certainly do not want be bogged down that

I have to do this or that as it is the convention. That is for me.

These two photos illustrate how I use a wash mixture with an airbrush.

PS looked as though I have killed one of my platoon in the Jackal picture. Tut.

Laurie

View attachment 123766

View attachment 123767

jackal.jpg

merlin.jpg

D

dubster72

Fair enough Laurie, cba to argue the point with you any longer