Water,water everywhere but how do you make it?

D

dm73

Hi all, not sure if this is in the correct section but here goes, i need to build a water effect and wanted to know how to go about this, i've read up on a clear setting resin but have been told this is rather expensive, any other ideas or links i could use.

Ta muchly

Darren

B

Bunkerbarge

Have a look at dolls house suppliers. There are a number of water media available, usually involving heating up a solid until it melts, then pouring it over your model where it will set again to form a clear solid.

Have a read here:

scenic water by Delux materials - The Dolls House Emporium Discussion Forum

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Vallejo make a clear water resin. Can be mixed with their acrylic paints so you can have any colour you want. AND the best bit, does not generat heat while curing. Is as clear as glass and self leveling. No nasty smell either!

I wish they did it in bigger bottles!!!

See here: Water & Stones

Ian M

D

dm73

Thanks guys, a few options to try. Will have to save my pennies and trial and error a few of these.

Cheers

Darren

P

peter61_uk

Tin Foil..............

1. Take a sheet a bit bigger that the base board,

2. Scrunch it up not too much

3. Flatten it out leaving it as rough as the water you are looking for

4. Stick it down to the base......(Dull side up)

5. Paint it using different shades of blue (or grey depending on where the water might be in the world) ........... and spray it from different angles.

6. Dry brush the tops of the wavelets in white...........

......and "voila"............... You have water.............. Not an exact science but it works.

Cheers to All

Peter

F

Fenlander

I have just ordered some of the Vallejo water effects. I have never done any water before (well I have, you know in a potty type thing) but I have decided that I am running away from dio building far too much so I will be doing some experimenting with the hope to doing a little mini series not quite "for Dummies" more "by a Dummy"

M

m1ks

I have no experience whatsoever with water effects, however, I youtube a bit and this was in my recommended videos when I went on a couple of days ago and have to say it looks excellent.

It's called magic water, is a two part resin and I have no idea who makes it.

But I hope this is useful.

D

dm73

I started to use scenic water this week to complete my lcvp dio but after my second 1/8 " pour i left it to set, went in to the shed last night and it has frozen, tried thawing slowly at room temperatures but the ice crystals have made it look like cloudy crazy paving so just a bit of a warning if your thinking of trying this in a unheated shed. Maybe able to save it , put it on the back shelf until i can figure out what to do:emo2:

B

Bunkerbarge

Sorry to hear it. We sometimes forget just what can happen in the very wide range of temperatures found in a shed.

If it is the scenic water that John pictures above however it can be remelted and reused indefinately so all you have to do is put the whole thing in the oven and warm it up again to melt the water. If you allow it to cool slowly indoors it should work out fine. I can't remember what temperature it is supposed to be but I'm sure I used to use boiling water to warm mine up so the temperature shouldn't be too much to damage the rest of the diorama that you have built.

D

dm73

Cheers Richard, its different from Johns product, i got this from hobby craft. I'll have to face the wrath of the other half and leave it in the warm for a bit longer. Will have to start scouring the site for some insulation for the shed.

N

noble

I use simulated countryside water for the stuff i do but it is in a tall bottle with a nozzle and it needs only to be squeezed out into place, its a model railway product.

scott

Last edited:
P

phalinmegob

i have seen araldite glue used to make muddy dirty water and it looked quite effective,just cant remember where i saw it.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Wouldn't PVA glue look like clear water when dried?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Darren, who big is the part with the water and what kind of depth are we looking at?

There are several ways of doing this, and the key factor is how much water you need to recreate.

N

noble

Good point ian if you want the illusion of depth then some blueish paint or browny green if it's muddy then several coats of high gloss varnish will give the illusion of deep water my mate Ron uses this to good effect. If you want actual effect then a pouring resign is a good method.

scott

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Anyone know which Scenics Water i can use to recreate something like a shell hitting the water (like you see when tankers are getting dive bombed)?

D

dm73

Its for my LCVP in open water, i've built the base approx 2" deep, i painted this dark greens and greys. I then placed a clear perspex sheet in and cut out a slot for the craft to sit in, i was starting to add resin on top of this and aimed to put in around 15 -20 mm then use clear silicon to show the effect of breaking water around the boat, still aim on doing this but may have to paint the first coat of resin and start again.

F

Fenlander

Al, I would look at using the Valejo water effects. I have seen a demo where they have done small spikes of stretched sprue sticking out f the water around a load of figures. This was then covered with the foam and snow resulting in machine gun bullet splashes, looked really good. Have a look here

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Many thanks Graham