Water,water everywhere but how do you make it?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Its for my LCVP in open water, i've built the base approx 2" deep, i painted this dark greens and greys. I then placed a clear perspex sheet in and cut out a slot for the craft to sit in, i was starting to add resin on top of this and aimed to put in around 15 -20 mm then use clear silicon to show the effect of breaking water around the boat, still aim on doing this but may have to paint the first coat of resin and start again.
Sounds like my water for the Volga dio in the Russina front GB.

A Couple of tips. I used Vallejo Still water resin. And yes its very clear! On the plus side it can be tinted to any colour with a few drops of their paint. I used Khaki and sand for a nice muddy river water. I would thing a blue grey will be more your cup of tea (yummy). Be sure that the boat fits well in the hole and I would advise you to seal it in with plastercine so there are NO leaks. My first bottle ot the resin drained away over night!. Also I would recomend that you dont do it in the shed. It will take forever to cure and you will risk fogging and even worse, lifting.

Vallejo also make the clear water paste, which is a bit like very thick pva but isnt. You could maybe use this to seal the hull in the perspex with. Once that has dried, pour the resin in and leave to dry. If you want onlt light ripples on the water, this can be acheived my runnung your fingers across the resin before it is dry. You could use the paste again to build up waves. The paste can also be coloured to match the water. Once that is dry you can try either a thick white paint to do a bit of scum around the boat, or use the foam from Vallejo. ( No I do not have shares in them, I just like them).

Here are the products: Water & Stones

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Graham. Do you know if you can add colour to that Vallejo Water Effects? Apparently it dires clear/transparant

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Allyne; Yes it can, See post above...

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
oops missed that Ian. Thanks. I presume it's the acrylic paints you used and not the inks for tiniting?

F

Fenlander

You could also use the Vallejo Snow and Foam which is designed to be used as, well snow and foam, so wave tops, white water etc. I have just got a few from John in this mornings post, the Still water, Snow and Foam and Water Effects not sure when I will get around to trying them but I will pass on any info when I do. Snow and Foam is a small pack designed to be dripped on to wave tops or as snow on tree branches etc. Have a search for Vallejo tutorials for the water effects. I know some reviewers are not keen on the water effects and still water but I will make my own mind up.

N

noble

Graham i've just had a look at that blog and that is well cool in fact it has helped me with my idea for that WWI dio cheers mate.

scott

B

Bunkerbarge

Just in case any of you hadn't noticed this one, here is a perspex water effect which looks superb.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/completed/11119-quiet-corner-kent-1940-battle-britain-1-72-a.html

D

dm73

\ said:
Sounds like my water for the Volga dio in the Russina front GB. A Couple of tips. I used Vallejo Still water resin. And yes its very clear! On the plus side it can be tinted to any colour with a few drops of their paint. I used Khaki and sand for a nice muddy river water. I would thing a blue grey will be more your cup of tea (yummy). Be sure that the boat fits well in the hole and I would advise you to seal it in with plastercine so there are NO leaks. My first bottle ot the resin drained away over night!. Also I would recomend that you dont do it in the shed. It will take forever to cure and you will risk fogging and even worse, lifting.

Vallejo also make the clear water paste, which is a bit like very thick pva but isnt. You could maybe use this to seal the hull in the perspex with. Once that has dried, pour the resin in and leave to dry. If you want onlt light ripples on the water, this can be acheived my runnung your fingers across the resin before it is dry. You could use the paste again to build up waves. The paste can also be coloured to match the water. Once that is dry you can try either a thick white paint to do a bit of scum around the boat, or use the foam from Vallejo. ( No I do not have shares in them, I just like them).

Here are the products: Water & Stones
Cheers Ian, thats proberaly where i got the idea from:thumbsup:, i sealed around the hull and edges with clear silicone, i'm afraid all i've got is the shed and i don't fancy leaving a heater plugged in when i'm not about.

I also had a bit of a seepage problem on my first attempt (no sniggering at the back please) but able to save most of the resin, oh well live and learn

F

Fenlander

also had a bit of a seepage problem on my first attempt (no sniggering at the back please)
Sorry but to my shame, I had to snigger..........

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I hope you had more luck with getting the resin to stay on the silicon! On mine it was a bit like opposing magnets; not matter how you try the darn things just repel each other. With hind sight the next time I will stick the plexi down with the thick paste rather than silicone.

An other good point if you do the pour in stages, like I did, would be to scour the surface of the first resin. I can see on mine that the top layer is lifting away. I dont know if its due to the lack of a key, or that its living in the shed. OK the bowl of water out there isnt frozen yet but its bloody cold and a tad damp. One of the good things with the Vallejo stuff is that it is as good as odourless, and does not produce heat duering the cureing process, so I would say its not a big problem to use indoors.

Hope yours is going well and look forwards to a photo or two.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
oops missed that Ian. Thanks. I presume it's the acrylic paints you used and not the inks for tiniting?
Yep! I just use their paints, But I think any acrylic could be used.

(mixed with black it makes wonderfull oil drops and puddles)!

First Name
Drew
Okay, I' ve been reading through this thread on behalf of my wife.

She's looking for something that will dry hard like plastic and is clear like glass/plastic. I immediately thought of this forum and all of you helpful people.

So, basically, from what I've picked up on here, it seems as though the Vallejo water effects dries very clear and could be clear enough for the purposes but does it dry hard or does it dry like PVA would dry (i.e. rubbery and flexible)?

Thanks

F

Fewzz

Has anyone tried Woodland Scenics Realistic Water?

It simply pours in and drys hard like perspex i believe, sounds so simple and ideal solution, anyone tried this product?

N

noble

Yeah i've used it but it is £14.00 a bottle the Javis stuff is half the price and just as good.

scott