Waterslide transfers

First Name
Bill
Anyone set up to print their own waterslide decals? I am interested in some Japanese Mon for my samurai figures and I am quite willing to pay a reasonable price. Size would be in the 15-20 mm range (the decal not the figure). Black and white would be fine as I intend to paint them after application.

Cheers
Bill

Reactions: JR

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
You can buy decal sheets to print your own, but you can't print white unless you have a very expensive printer, you will need to buy white decal paper instead of clear

First Name
Bill
Thank you John. I don't have a suitable printer, hence my question.
I have decided to go for a simpler design and freehand it.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Bill,
You can print decals on any printer. I have a Deskjet 2710. Download an old copy of Photoshop (I think Adobe now do them for free) - size up your image size and then make sure you have it saved as a jpeg. Then on your printer set the settings to 'Best' or 'Photo'. Once printed allow the ink to dry for 24 hours and then seal it with a clear varnish, I use Humbrol 'Just Crystal Clear' acrylic spray. Allow to dry flat. The decal paper can be obtained from evilbay. If you want a white background or white in your image then go for white decal paper otherwise go for clear. Hope this helps.
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Download an old copy of Photoshop (I think Adobe now do them for free) - size up your image size
If you only need to resize images, you can do that in Paint if you use Windows (instructions here) or Preview if you use a Mac (instructions), both of which come with your computer so no need to install any software.

First Name
Bill
Thanks for the replies, I have ordered some decal paper and will give printing my own a go.

Bill

First Name
Noel
That's surprising Bill. I thought that domestic printers were able to take photo paper that I would imagine to be much thicker.
Maybe your paper will feed if you just load the one sheet?