Not open for further replies.
J

jono

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looks okay to me, actually looks like a really fine dust layer all over the tank.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I've got to agree with Simon it looks like it's spent a day in the desert and it looks good , it may not have been the look you wanted but by accident has come out looking very authentic in my opinion :smiling3:

T

tommy1drop

Looks good to me John, give your lad a pat on the back, he did a good job mate;)

First Name
john
I agree with everything above looks good to me just a windy day in the desert

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It certainly does look as if it has been in a dust storm. What I would do is create some dust streaks down the sides, thinning it down where dust will not naturally 'stick' using a brush dampened in whatever solvent is appropriate for the varnish used, brushing downwards. In other words take avantage of the dusty appearance to reinforce the duststorm look.....some application of AKI dust effects in strategic places may also help reinforce the look... I think you have a really nice looking model that might be enhanced rather than a disaster.

P

Polux

Looks fine to me.

If you use oils, just do a wash of dark brown with white spirit (thinner).

I think with that you will solve the problem :smiling3:

PS: that's the reason because I never work with varnish... :sad:

J

jono

Hey Guys thanks for your comments on the weathering, I was feeling a bit depressed when posting the pics, But you have cheered me up with all your comments.... Thanks :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: ..

L

Laurie

Look to me John as though your son has done a jolly good job.

Got to ask why you are obviously not happy..

Matter of interest what matt varnish are you using John. I use matt varnish from Vallejo. It is non toxic but always use a nose filter with the appropriate filter for the paint I use.

Laurie

M

Mike

Wish my model's looked that good?! Is your son available for contract builds?

First Name
Mike
Have to agree with what's already been said - if you hadn't titled the thread 'disaster' and not mentioned the varnish incident, I'd simply have thought you'd produced an expertly faded and weathered tank (especially since the figures look clean by comparison). I agree with Barry and Polux's comments though to add a bit of additional streaking and highlighting, keeping it really subtle so it doesn't stand out too much.

D

Deleted member 3568

I fully agree with all above, similar thing happened to the stuka in my warspite dio but I think it improved the look. In fact I doubt I could have achieved the effect deliberately. Bravo to your son. He may be able to make a living out of this, is he for hire, I pay in peanuts.

J

jono

\ said:
Look to me John as though your son has done a jolly good job.Got to ask why you are obviously not happy..

Matter of interest what matt varnish are you using John. I use matt varnish from Vallejo. It is non toxic but always use a nose filter with the appropriate filter for the paint I use.

Laurie
Hi Laurie, the reason for being unhappy with it is the over use of the varnish by my son as masked the areas I hi-lighted with a dark wash & just given a Dusty Look to the tank.

I use Humbrol Acrylic Matt varnish to finish off with. My son does any spraying for me due to a health issue I have, & I just brush paint the small parts/areas.

J

jono

\ said:
Wish my model's looked that good?! Is your son available for contract builds?
Thanks for the compliment Michael, I am the one doing the building & my son helps me by doing any spraying for me LOL.

J

jono

\ said:
Have to agree with what's already been said - if you hadn't titled the thread 'disaster' and not mentioned the varnish incident, I'd simply have thought you'd produced an expertly faded and weathered tank (especially since the figures look clean by comparison). I agree with Barry and Polux's comments though to add a bit of additional streaking and highlighting, keeping it really subtle so it doesn't stand out too much.
Hi Migrant, the reason the figures look clean & not Dusty is ... They were inside with the Hatches shut LOL..during the spraying ;) .

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks good to me John ,sat looking thinking what is th matter has a lov coat of fine dust on it, ;)

agree with all great look and very well done, :smiling3:

J

jono

\ said:
I fully agree with all above, similar thing happened to the stuka in my warspite dio but I think it improved the look. In fact I doubt I could have achieved the effect deliberately. Bravo to your son. He may be able to make a living out of this, is he for hire, I pay in peanuts.
Sorry KP, as stated elsewhere I build, & my son does the spraying & prefers Cashews to peanuts lol.

J

jono

\ said:
looks good to me John ,sat looking thinking what is th matter has a lov coat of fine dust on it, ;) agree with all great look and very well done, :smiling3:
Thanks Monica, I wanted to show more of the dirt than all that dust though hoping for better luck on next one

:smiling3: .

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Agree with what has been already said. Fantastic effect. :smiling3:

S

steve scan

Agree with the above John get some washes and pigments on it and it will be great, looks fine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.