Wendall's 1/48 Airfix Harrier GR3

First Name
Jason
Cheers Polux, it seems to be working;)

Happy new year everyone! I locked myself in the mancave with a bit of a hangover and got a lot done on the GR3 yesterday.

I think the kit is a pretty old tool with raised panel lines, limited cockpit detail and a few inaccuracies but its fairly simply engineered and should provide a good starting point.

The plan is to pose this one in flight so Jeff needed a bit of cosmetic surgery. His visor was carefully carved from his helmet and moved down to cover his eyes and the oxygen mask was moved up to cover his face, a little bit of liquid filler and he's ready to fly. The headbox decals are included in the kit and will add a bit of interest through the canopy.

View attachment 95699

View attachment 95700

I drilled out the exhaust outlet and detailed it with a few scraps of plasticard and added the missing fuel dump pipes.

View attachment 95701

View attachment 95702

The nose gear doors were a poor fit and required a bit of filling. Main undercarriage doors fit better. The airbrake was extended by about 5mm with plasticard.

View attachment 95703

View attachment 95704

So far it's a charming kit to work with. A little bit of filler and sanding was needed on the wing roots but the fuselage halves were a lovely fit and just needed a coat of Mr Surfacer.

Now to begin the re-scribing!

Jason

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Off to a good start, I'll keep an eye on this one as I have the same kit to build.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great start Jason. Will you be opening the engine vents?

First Name
Jason
\ said:
Will you be opening the engine vents?
Hi Joe, if you mean the drop in doors in the intakes, this one will be on the move so all drop in doors are closed.

If you mean Airfix's chunky exhaust outlets? Then nope, they're just too chunky! Could've got some resin ones but then its not really in the 'Under a tenner' spirit so I shall muddle on with what was in the box and a few bits of scrap plastic.

Right! Quick update, nearly ready for primer.

The whole airframe has been re-scribed. Be gentle, there are a few mistakes but its my first attempt at re-scribing a whole model.

View attachment 95846

View attachment 95847

View attachment 95848

I used Bare Metal Foil to detail some of the panels and the heat shields.

View attachment 95849

One of the Aden gun pods has been modified to represent a 'Blue Eric ECM' fitment which the aircraft I'm modelling was equipped with. Not many reference images available so it's pretty basic.

View attachment 95850

I believe these are called bacon slicers!!!

View attachment 95851

Now to mask up the cockpit and intakes, fit all the ariels, oh and make a hole in the bottom for a stand.

Thanks for looking

Jason

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hey Jason, yep I meant the intake 'drop doors'. Great that it will be flying, a nice change. If that is your first go at re-scribing then you have a future in that if all else fails, awesome work!

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I wish I could put that much effort in in such a short time ........... That is coming along superbly.

Peter

First Name
Neil
I have the 1/72 of this with the new tooling but I'm sure I paid more than a tenner so nice deal there and looking good so far. I'm still waiting for paint.. well that's my excuse, got to start mine soon or I'll end up trying to get it all done in a week!

First Name
Jason
Thanks Chaps,

The trouble with being back at work is not being able to get much mancave time, I find it difficult to work by artificial light so my time is limited. An hour a night has gotten me to this stage.

I primed the whole thing with Tamiya extra fine grey from a rattle can. It looked pretty good, only a few areas needed attention before an overall coat of Dark Sea Grey. Then I discovered what a giant pain in the proverbial masking a wraparound scheme is! Perseverance prevailed in the end but I discovered it was much easier to leave the taileron thingys off for this stage.

View attachment 96421

Then on with the RAF green. I wanted to try something different so this has been post shaded instead of my usual preshade. I lightened both colours by adding 20% matt white and lightly airbrushed the centres of the upper surface panels.

This is how she looks freshly unmasked, I quite like it!

View attachment 96422

View attachment 96424

Filter next then a coat of Klear and the decals. Hopefully I'll get those on this weekend.

Thanks for looking in!

Jason

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

First Name
Dave
I like the post shading you've done.Looks good.I will try this out on my 1/24 Spitfire as I can't get on with preshading.

First Name
Jason
Cheers Dave, I found post shading a more enjoyable process that the preshade. I had much more control over the end result, the preshade is sometimes a bit hit and miss. I'll be using this technique on my Typhoon for sure.

First Name
Jason
Got all the decaling done over the weekend. Despite 2 coats of Klear they silvered really bad, unusual for Cartograph. Luckily with the careful use of a pin and lots more micro sol I managed to get them to settle properly second time around:smiling3:.

Now I want this to look like a proper Falklands GR3 and looking at he pictures in Jerry Pooks book, these things got hammered. I have been trying the oil dot weathering technique on top of the post shade to try and fade the colours and give the impression of salt water streaking. I've not finished yet but would be interested to know what you guys think.

View attachment 96723

View attachment 96724

View attachment 96725

Just noticed my droopy pitot tube :oops:

Jason

DSC_0060.JPG

DSC_0061.JPG

DSC_0062.JPG

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Cheers Dave, I found post shading a more enjoyable process that the preshade. I had much more control over the end result, the preshade is sometimes a bit hit and miss. I'll be using this technique on my Typhoon for sure.
The post shading looks a lot better then pre-shading in this case. I wonder sometimes if it's the execution of the technique that makes or breaks the finished look on some builds.