What a plonker!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I used Halfords white primer when building my Dragon 1:72 Apollo 11, the top coat was Appliance white from Halfords, no issues at all in coverage.Adrian
I've used these as well and they give a nice, clean finish. Not necessarily so good for smaller kits as you have very little control with these big rattle cans. You don't get a high gloss, but would the Apollo have a high gloss finish?

D

Dave Garrett

i have just got an acrylic white primer for my model ship kits 400ml for £4 wasn't bad off ebay not halfords though the idea is to make the camouflage or dazzle as its known a brighter look to it

L

larchiefeng

If you want contrast because you have sanded or done work on the plastic just stand back and very lightly mist a grey or black from a distance after the white primer is down. You're actually not trying to change the color you're just looking for a very light splatter effect; its what they do on real cars. A light sand will show you any imperfections and then you can spray another light coat of white primer on after you have cleaned up any bad spots.

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
I don't like using a primer that is very close in colour to the plastic because it is difficult to gauge how the primer is going on (thickness etc.). I sometimes add a little coloured primer. For the same reason I avoid a primer with the same colour as the next coat.
Yes, that was my concern Steve. Good idea to give it a slight tint, why didn't I think of that?

L

Laurie

\ said:
Yes, that was my concern Steve. Good idea to give it a slight tint, why didn't I think of that?
That was the practice until recently by good house painter and decorators. A little pink in the undercoat to show that it has covered the primer. In those days two undercoats were used and the same ritual applied.

Laurie

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
I don't like using a primer that is very close in colour to the plastic because it is difficult to gauge how the primer is going on (thickness etc.). I sometimes add a little coloured primer. For the same reason I avoid a primer with the same colour as the next coat.
Good point Steve, particularly when you need to rub down between coats and you need to gauge where work needs to be done. This is particularly useful when shaping something like a scratch built boat hull when you might deliberately give it a very light dusting of black before rubbing it down to identify the areas that might need a bit of building up.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Astronomy and space flight have fascinated me all my life
Keith, just off on a slight tangent which might be of some interest to you, as a spotty teenage youth, I had the pleasure of shaking Uri Gagarin's hand when he visited the U.K. after his historic space flight......I have a huge commemorative medal which he gave my father for being "The only true worker amongst all these dignitaries here tonight." At the time my dad was a big wheel in the local unions, and managed to blag a ticket to the 'do' where Gagarin was Guest of Honour.

Please excuse the minor high-jack..

Ron

S

Stevekir

\ said:
That was the practice until recently by good house painter and decorators. A little pink in the undercoat to show that it has covered the primer. In those days two undercoats were used and the same ritual applied.Laurie
The same principle was used (and probably still is) when contract painters are painting rain goods etc. black. The new undercoat is grey so the Clerk of Works can see where undercoat has been missed (grey on old black) or top coat (black on grey). Sneaky!

S

Stevekir

\ said:
If you want contrast because you have sanded or done work on the plastic just stand back and very lightly mist a grey or black from a distance after the white primer is down. You're actually not trying to change the color you're just looking for a very light splatter effect; its what they do on real cars. A light sand will show you any imperfections and then you can spray another light coat of white primer on after you have cleaned up any bad spots.
I sort of get this, but how would "A light sand will show you any imperfections" do that? Could it be that any dips or other slight depressions like seam lines would still be black after light sanding, so showing the need for more filler? (I think that must be it.)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
The same principle was used (and probably still is) when contract painters are painting rain goods etc. black. The new undercoat is grey so the Clerk of Works can see where undercoat has been missed (grey on old black) or top coat (black on grey). Sneaky!
Steve, he must have been the same C of W we had when I was 'On the tools'. He had a mirror on a long stick and lowered it behind the radiators to make sure the painters hadn't missed a bit!

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Keith, just off on a slight tangent which might be of some interest to you, as a spotty teenage youth, I had the pleasure of shaking Uri Gagarin's hand when he visited the U.K. after his historic space flight......I have a huge commemorative medal which he gave my father for being "The only true worker amongst all these dignitaries here tonight." At the time my dad was a big wheel in the local unions, and managed to blag a ticket to the 'do' where Gagarin was Guest of Honour.Please excuse the minor high-jack..

Ron
The same sort of thing happened to me. When in a team commissioning the electric controls for a big hot reversing mill, plate mill and rod mill complex, on the day the first ingot ran a whole gaggle of suits arrived. I was very dismissive of them (privately of course) because we had been the ones who helped to design it and get it working and they were on a junket, but later I realised that they were the people who had taken the risk of such huge expenditure, supplied the capital etc. (Some would have been bankers but their horns did not show.)

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Keith, just off on a slight tangent which might be of some interest to you, as a spotty teenage youth, I had the pleasure of shaking Uri Gagarin's hand when he visited the U.K. after his historic space flight......I have a huge commemorative medal which he gave my father for being "The only true worker amongst all these dignitaries here tonight." At the time my dad was a big wheel in the local unions, and managed to blag a ticket to the 'do' where Gagarin was Guest of Honour.Please excuse the minor high-jack..

Ron
Ron, that is amazing, you shook hands with Uri Gagarin, a legend! Wow! The best I have achieved is the signatures of Buz Aldrin and Michael Collins, both of course from Apollo 11. I desperatly wanted Neil Armstrong as well to complete the set but no way could I afford it. I am sure you will never part with your medal, a fantastic piece of history.