What fillers/putty should I get?

S

Stevekir

As a returnee after many years since I did any modelling, I would like some advice on what range of fillers I should get, taking into account:

The different types and sizes of gaps to be filled (e.g.., wing to fuselage, the seam at the join of the two sides of a fuselage, mismatch of levels; narrower joins);

And the huge range of different types of filler available.

Here is the result of a trawl of the Internet on types of filler:

John's shop:

Milliput 2 Part Epoxy Filler, Superfine Grade

Milliput MILSTAN

Humbrol Model Filler

Squadron White Putty Tube

Squadron Green Putty Tube

Mr. Color

Vallejo Plastic Putty Tube

Mr. White Putty

Mr. Dissolved Putty

Mr. Clay

Mr. Surfacer 500, 1000, 1200

Perfect Plastic Putty (Deluxe Materials)

Other shops:

Milliput Silver Grey Putty

Milliput Superfine White Putty

Milliput Standard Epoxy Putty

Milliput 2 Part Epoxy Filler, Standard Grade

Milliput 2 Part Epoxy Filler, Silver Grey, Medium grade

Ravell Plasto Modelling Body Putty

Tamiya Basic White, Putty

Tamiya Basic Grey, Putty

Tamiya Basic Type Putty

Tamiya Polyester Putty

Tamiya Epoxy Putty Smooth

Vallejo Model Color Plastic Putty

Vallejo Plastic Putty

Testors Plastic Putty Tube

Testors Contour Putty

-----------------------------------------

What are your recommendations please for the range of fillers or putties (maker, name) that I should buy for aviation models?

Thanks.

PS Mr Surfacer 500 (which I have) seems so very thin. In what situation would you use it please?

First Name
Dave
My favourite filler is Squadron green.Sticks to the model well and is easy to sand.Ive got some Vallejo putty which does the job but I find it needs more sanding than the green.Also got some Mr Surfacer 500.As you say,it's very thin.Stirring it in the jar before use thickens it slightly.I find it goes on easy but is only any good for tiny gaps.And even then it needs a few coats.Hope this helps.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Mr Surfacer 500 is perfect for seams, Mr Dissolved Putty is great for smoothing a surface as it is very self levelling. I also use Vallejo Plastic Putty for small gaps.

First Name
Dave
Mr Surfacer 500 Is probably good on modern well engineered kits with tiny gaps to fill.But i mostly build old ill fitting kits (i must be a masochist!) for which its no good.After the bloody Anson im going to build one of the Tamiya kits in my stash as a bit of therapy.It seems to be more like a thick primer to me than a filler.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I use Milliput Fine for big gaps or remodelling. Crucially it doesn't shrink.

Tamiya grey and the Humbrol putty for more general minor seams etc. Both shrink and often need more than one go. They can both be smoothed with a cotton bud moistened with an acetone based nail varnish remover.

Mr Surfacer 1000 for minor blemishes.

I also use Thick CA glue,sometimes with the addition of baking powder,as a filler. You've got to sand this as soon as it hardens or it will end up harder than the surrounding plastic!

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

\ said:
Mr Surfacer 500 is perfect for seams, Mr Dissolved Putty is great for smoothing a surface as it is very self levelling. I also use Vallejo Plastic Putty for small gaps.
I thought I wrote this in my dreams.

Just my choice Barry. Mr Surfacer 500 has transformed my seams ?! Just build up coat on coat until filled. Sand then wet & dry when near flat. A little imperfection another coat of 500. Takes time but no seams. Sticks well with no breakaways at the edge. Sands well as it must be so close to the hardness of plastic. As yet not had any cracks appear with 500.

You will in all probability have to rescore panel lines. But the 500 takes to this as the original plastic base.

Laurie