What is and what is not a diorama

L

Laurie

Now here is a naughty teaser. :P

What do you class as a diorama ? What do you not class as a diorama ?

For me a diorama is a scene which depicts a story. For instance a tank with the crew strung around having a picnic (although perhaps in war an expression out of context) in the middle of war. It tugs on the imagination..

Not a diorama would be a tank just sat there not really telling a story. No emotion at all.

Or in my case a shelf with grass, a bit of runway and background with aircraft strung all over the shelf.

A teaser. ;)

Laurie

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diorama

D

dubster72

What about a vignette? To me, a diorama versus vignette is a matter of scale & size.

A plane on a base depicting an airfield or a tank on it's own (with or without accompanying figures) is a vignette.

If more vehicles or planes are added, along with buildings then that's a diorama.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Wiki states "...in modern usage, a three-dimensional full-size or miniature model, sometimes enclosed in a glass showcase for a museum."

So, to Wiki, a single plane sitting on a desk is a diorama! For our purpose I Would go for Laurie's first description. The important words are "scene" and "story". I would not include Laurie's "Or in my case a shelf with grass, a bit of runway and background with aircraft strung all over the shelf." That's an up-market shelf!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
My small 1/144 scale landing craft with the zero buzzing overhead is a vignette, so is my Triceratops model. My larger tanks on bases are dio's as they are telling a story. Well that is how I see it.

Si:smiling3:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
One mans vignette is another mans dioarama the reason because we all have different opinions and ideas about things and I'm so glad that not everyone thinks the same and that's what arguments are based on opinions and beliefs.When presented with facts we can either choose to believe them or dismiss them.So for now I'll go with Wikipedia I am sure the people working there know more about these things than I do.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignette

L

Laurie

\ said:
My small 1/144 scale landing craft with the zero buzzing overhead is a vignette, so is my Triceratops model. My larger tanks on bases are dio's as they are telling a story. Well that is how I see it.
Si could you swat that damn fly. At least it would then be a Vignette and dead.:eek:o_O

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well if you go by the IPMS rules it is actually simple:

Any model entered in any class that contains more than one model is a diorama.

An aircraft on a runway with the crew would be a simple base. (could be called a vignette I s'pose).

Add a refueller, a couple of ground crew, or other extra items would be removed from the table and placed with the diorama's

A cameo is either a small acting roll, or a piece of jewellery. The small flat (typically figures) are called flats. ;)

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
My small 1/144 scale landing craft with the zero buzzing overhead is a vignette
No its a small diorama as it contains more than one model.

Ian M

L

Laurie

\ said:
Well if you go by the IPMS rules it is actually simple:
Any model entered in any class that contains more than one model is a diorama.

An aircraft on a runway with the crew would be a simple base. (could be called a vignette I s'pose).

Add a refueller, a couple of ground crew, or other extra items would be removed from the table and placed with the diorama's

A cameo is either a small acting roll, or a piece of jewellery. The small flat (typically figures) are called flats. ;)

Ian M
A cameo is actually a more than just a small acting roll it has more of an exalted roll. It is played by some one well known either in acting or in the community. But such is English that numerous words have been used to represent another form but associated in some way with the original meaning.

For instance escalator is used in finance. Dovetail is used in business deals. Vignette also has many meanings where the original came form and what it was originally I have no idea.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I understand why the IPMS has those rules, it prevents arguments about which category a model should be judged.

The word diorama really only refers to a view or a scene. For example a stuffed leopard on a tree branch in a case in a natural history museum would be a diorama. A diorama doesn't have to include more than one model, buildings, figures or anything else, but usually does.

What makes this a diorama (two models and some figures)?

View attachment 100387

And this not (one model and some figures)?

View attachment 100388

What if we take the figures out and just have one model, but on a base and with a background?

View attachment 100389

Take away the base, what's this?

View attachment 100390

Luckily I don't care. They are all just models I built for fun and as I won't be entering any competitions they won't be subject to any artificial rules :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

desert%20dio%20crop_zps3xboxags.jpg

IMG_1284_web_zpsfifz1zpy.jpg

IMG_0717_zpsfubyrykd.jpg

stbd_under_sized_zpsrgd63mu8.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Vignette also has many meanings where the original came form and what it was originally I have no idea.
They where a decorative border and or separation in passages of text normally vines and vine-leaves, hence Vignette.

For the sake of this thread, which I assume was based in the model building genera I just thought I would say how it is that the IPMS do it, and as it is pretty simple to keep a grip on, is how the sections in these fora are 'managed'.

Steve. Picture one deffo a diorama.. #2 Tja, simple base, but a grumpy judge could pull it, but I'm no judge (just grumpy :P ) #3 and #4 simple base. but that same grumpy judge would not allow the background on a show table.

Aren't we all glad that we just build and show her for the fun of it.

It could be interesting if some IPMS members had a poke at some judges, the next time they are around some and get their 'professional' opinion on the subject.

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

So why isn't a figure a model, if a figure was on a base on its own it would be so when you put it with a Spitfire haven't you got two models?

As Steve says the IPMS have to have definitions to be able to categorise models for judging but I certainly don't feel obliged to follow thier guidelines in fact I go out of my way not to.

I also seem to remember we have been around this particular circle already only a few months ago.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
By the rules I would agree with Ian.

Unfortunately almost any other definition of a diorama would include a background of some sort, even that stuffed leopard on a tree branch!

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'm not disagreeing with You Steve. Indeed the models that get posted on here that have a back ground are all very good and I am sure that there is no one that looks away from them because of that.

My comments in this thread are only what I consider to be relevant to a forum on models.

As we all know the IPMS have pretty much an iron grip on show tables. A model that gets left on the table one show, could be just as easily bumped over to the diorama section at an other. It all boils down to the humour of the judge on the day. Why else do show hosts provide breakfasts, lunches and refreshment ad lib to the judges. To keep them sweet.

Ian M

L

Laurie

Any way who is worried about IPMS. Seems to me that IPMS are to be avoided they sound like they are a very unimaginative crowd who stifle imagination.

I started the discussion to stimulate ideas for lively dioramas on this forum.

Hope Si does not mind.:eek: He produced a great lorry in an advanced state of deterioration in a great fore and back ground. I suggested an old man with a bent back and walking stick staring at the dilapidated lorry.

I thought that would get viewers minds going. This old man studying the lorry and what was going through his mind. Or perhaps a couple of kids. It brings the diorama life. As Si has said he just cannot do figures. :sad:

As I mentioned, in my opinion, the important thing is to tell a story to get the message over. The whole thing then becomes interesting and then all of the detail in the diorama will be studied as the old man is doing.

Hope you do not mind Si or you can put me in the sin bin :oops:

Laurie

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Both, as they are both are telling a story.