What is and what is not a diorama

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Any way who is worried about IPMS. Seems to me that IPMS are to be avoided they sound like they are a very unimaginative crowd who stifle imagination.
I started the discussion to stimulate ideas for lively dioramas on this forum.

Hope Si does not mind.:eek: He produced a great lorry in an advanced state of deterioration in a great fore and back ground. I suggested an old man with a bent back and walking stick staring at the dilapidated lorry.

I thought that would get viewers minds going. This old man studying the lorry and what was going through his mind. Or perhaps a couple of kids. It brings the diorama life. As Si has said he just cannot do figures. :sad:

As I mentioned, in my opinion, the important thing is to tell a story to get the message over. The whole thing then becomes interesting and then all of the detail in the diorama will be studied as the old man is doing.

Hope you do not mind Si or you can put me in the sin bin :oops:

Laurie
Get in that sin bin Laurie! :D I agree, with you about the figure, to re-address this I have been working on the vacant area near the lorry, added a pallet with an old engine and some other bits to liven up the area and make it look like a junk-yard. No piccies yet I'm afraid.

Si:smiling3:

L

Laurie

\ said:
So which of these is a diorama?
View attachment 102235

This scene of a wrecked house, tank and crew....

View attachment 102236

Or this scene depicting a Nimrod being marshalled onto its parking stand?
I would say the first one is the interesting one as it tells a story. A hard time and then relaxing. Just fascinating.

Really it does not matter which is a diorama it is the scene which sets the interest for me. Place myself in that moment.

Laurie

D

dubster72

To me, the 1st is a diorama whereas the 2nd is a vignette because it's highlighting the Nimrod.

P

phikoleoputra

Well, just have fun boys gluing the plastics, everything needs special skill to achieve I suppose!! ;) ;)