What Models have beaten you??

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
We've all had models that refused to go together - I'm not talking about the 70's clunkers, but a supposedly state of the art model from a mainstream maker! Maybe it was just you, but the models resisted you, until for reasons of continued health, they were consigned to land fill.
Here are just two that still annoy me!trumpy 152mm howitzer.jpg
This went together nicely, until I came to attach the gun shield - 4 pieces of PE that had to be bent to bridge the gap between carriage & shield. No way! I bent, failed, annealed, failed, and so on. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result .
Landfill
panda 1-35 jerrv.jpg
This was my first Panda kit - and it put me off so much that I haven't made anything from them since.
Looked good on the in-box reviews - but assembly? I simply couldn't get the one-piece upper body to fit to the chassis, over the finely detailed interior. I thought I had mis-read the instructions, went back & checked, but no - I came to the conclusion that the parts were wrong. I put it away for a few months, then came back to it - tried again............................
Landfill!
I would love to hear about models that have beaten you, the supposedly 'new tooling' that was a waste of time - new releases that should have been kept in the box
Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: JR

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
theres a few lol

most recent was Eduards 1/48 Fokker EII.........nothing fitted!...and was fragile......ended up in the bin
revell Ferrari Enzo........just dreadful!
Airfix E Boat....couldnt get the hull to join together properly......think that one is still in the loft stash somewhere
HobbyBoss Hurricane......canopy was never ever going to fit being the wrong shape!

im sure thats plenty of others but those 4 stick in my mind

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Only two have defeated me Revells 1\32 beaufighter gaps in wing root witch were more like canyons a really everything else and at the moment a Revell 1\48 tornado with all the same terrible fit issues

First Name
James
Airfixs 1/72 f4f just couldent get anything to go right with it then the final straw the cat stole a peice and chewed it up i just threw the kit away

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Non so far...maybe I've been lucky with kit selection or one has my number on it and I haven't started on it. :thinking:

Cheers,
Richard

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have had a few...

Two makes are my pet hates and their kits never fail to disappoint me.

Revell -
their 1/32 FW190 engine cover fit was appalling. For a new tool kit it needed far too much clean up and it has one of the worse engines I have seen on a new tool, just full of sink holes. I find that Revell kits are built 'to a price' and you can tell, personally I would prefer to spend two to three times as much on a kit than build one of theirs

Special Hobby -
I gave up on their 1/32 Aircobra in the end. Life is too short for these limited run kits and are best avoided, pity they make some great subjects in 1/32 but I never enjoy building them, even those I do finish like their Yak 3 and Fiat G50bis.

There is one other kit that I failed to finish though I love the make - the ZM 1/32 P51. I had issues with fitting the wings, I am sure that this one was my fault though.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
None for me yet either, but I don’t build that many so it’s probably only a matter of time...

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
HobbyBoss Hurricane......canopy was never ever going to fit being the wrong shape!
Which one? I built the 1/72 quick assembly one a few years ago, and the closed canopy fits fine — but good luck getting the open one to fit without filing down the fuselage …

I don’t think any kit has ever actually defeated me. I find that with perseverance anything can be built, eventually — though I must also admit that quite often, kits end up largely finished because something more interesting comes along :smiling3: This largely finished state may coincide with difficult stages of assembly, or with things I find very dull or daunting, but I don’t consider them to be impossible to build. All I need to do is find the motivation someday :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A Hobby Boss Gaz Truck,
1541527657524.png
Gave up on the rear axle, too much for one eye and just hard to do. Now residing on the shelf waiting for a wreak dio !
John.:crying:

D

Dave S4

Revell Mk2c Hurricane on the first attempt. I didn't know about washes and used white spirit on enamels.
It lifted the paint off across the whole thing.
Second try was much better. (Tamiya acrylic)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The only kit that has truly beaten me is that bloody Fairy Gannet. Got to the canopies and none fit. Tried the hot water trick, but they just refuse to fit. I now know why you see three or four wrecks for one complete . I wince when I think how much I ended up paying for it...

D

Dave S4

The only kit that has truly beaten me is that bloody Fairy Gannet. Got to the canopies and none fit. Tried the hot water trick, but they just refuse to fit. I now know why you see three or four wrecks for one complete . I wince when I think how much I ended up paying for it...
Oh Christ! I've got one of those in storage!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
So far......my one and only binned kit was this,
89C7178B-F5DB-454B-B807-74FE919DAEE1.jpeg

The plastic was like granite and there was so much flash and misalignment that after getting halfway through I just fed it to the bin!
What I found annoying was seeing others make a cracking job of the kit! I must of had a bad one:smiling5:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The one that beat me was an Airfix ship in a bottle model of the Charles Morgan, a wooden sailing whaler.
Fought ill fitting parts, filler etc. Got all the rigging done, dry run on the mast erection. Then it would not fit into the bottle, fractionally too wide for the neck. Finally broke it trying to ease it through. Landfill for the kit, recycling for the bottle.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Yet to be beaten Dave but I have not been modelling as long as the rest of you. However there have been a couple that have hovered over the bin and I would never touch again. Mirror Models CMP and Roden Holt 75.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yet to be beaten Dave but I have not been modelling as long as the rest of you. However there have been a couple that have hovered over the bin and I would never touch again. Mirror Models CMP and Roden Holt 75.
Steve.
You started the same time as me ! but you have been trained by the man from the Darkside, one Simon T of the Dales. He goes where no one dares when It comes to modeling
JR :smiling2::smiling2: