What would make you buy from the shop?

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I'm just trying to get some feedback from people about the shop, so far every month has been better than the last and that has enabled me to invest it in more stock and I'm now at the stage where I am putting stock orders on almost a weekly basis, so thank you for everyone that has supported me so far.

I don't like to "in your face" promote the shop on the forum but just want to keep people aware that it's there and so am I :smiling3:

I have been trying to think of way to help me help you spend with the shop and have come up with a couple of ideas, the first is a points system, so like Tesco, boots etc every time you buy something you earn points then redeem them when ever you like against orders, I don't know how much each point would earn you I would have to think about that and work it out, I don't want 1 point = £1 but also I don't want 10,000 points = £1

The other idea I had was a rolling discount, most things on the shop are discounted by 10% I was thinking of adding extra discount the more you spend, the spend would be based on a 12 month period, I will see if I can explain without confusing myself and others.

For example they discounts might be set out like £100 = 5% £200 = 6% up to £600 10%.

If a persons spend is £100 today, the next order no matter how big or small will be 5% as long as it's within 12 months from today, and if the order they placed where they got the 5% was for £110 then they next order they place they will get 6% discount because they have spent over £200 and it continues to grow, they more your spend in a 12 month period not a year so Jan to Dec, you will continue to get the discount on every order you place.

I hope I've explained they easy enough I know how it works out in my head I'm just not sure if I'm writing it the same way :emo6:

Any thoughts?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
John having received my order from you today (thanks very much for the quick postage) i have to say you already have most of my orders lol. I like the rolling discounts option but i can also see the benefit of the points system too.

At the end of the day i shop with you for your prices and customer service. I know how much effort you've put into the shop (and forum) and in that you have my loyalty. If you want to offer further discounts on your products then i can only say this is more of a bonus on the superb service we already get.

F

Fenlander

I am with Al on this. Ever since the shop opened I have been skint (only joking).

I doubt anyone would say no to a discount be it by points or direct. Have to say that the rolling discount does sound very attractive as you get results with your first order past the starting flag and all orders continuing after that, it can only get better, and make the great prices you already offer, as well as the service, very, very attractive.

I know you have said that you don't like the 'In your face' use of the forum to promote the shop but I would only totally agree with that if you were not bending over backwards to offer the things that people have discussed on the forum, discounted everything that you stock directly and offered and maintained a second to none service as well as getting in items to special requests. I know of no other shop where I can email the boss and ask if he could get me some obscure kit knowing that if you can you will.

No one like to have advertising shoved down their necks but personally, I don't think the shop has a high enough profile on the forum and I would like to see the profile raised a bit just to ensure that, especially new, members are aware of the deals on offer.

S

snapper41

Got my order today, so it's thumbs up from me! You've always been very helpful, and you're my first choice. Except for Tamiya paints - could you stock them??

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm with Allyne as well. I also agree with Graham that raising the profile of the shop on the forum wouldn't do any harm. I know most members make a point of giving positive feed back,but any promotion must be a good thing.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I will confess that I have only used the shop once or twice as most of the things I buy are either needed quick and I can get them locally. Having said that, the service, as every one has said, is 110%

As to ways of getting people to use the shop, I think you are doing all the right things already: You listen to suggestions and more often than not take them up. You offer a first class service, which is THE most important thing these days. You post as cost and things always get through on time. (Royal Mail and or weather permitting)!

A thing I would personally like to see would be a choice of Serial code letters/numbers. However even such a simple thing as that is quite a nightmare. Different colours, scales, styles, sizes and although I would like them for RAF/Royal Navy, Stona might like them for the Luftwaffe, others for the USAF. A tough nut to crack as a stock item. As a special order item? Have them listed and have a lead time on them. You could then see what are the ones it could pay to have "on the shelf".

The selection of kits is expanding all the time and new things pop up all the time. Nowt wrong there either!

As for the extra discount? mind you dont discount yourself out of pocket. After all the idea is to earn money, right?

The example you gave, is that on top of the 10% you already give (by way of low prices)?

One other thing: How is your google rating?

Ian M

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
Except for Tamiya paints - could you stock them??
I have looked at them and thought about it but as with all Tamiya products it's hard to find a supplier that can give good discounts, Tamiya don't supply to everyone and from what I can gather they don't give massive discounts even to people like Hannats and if I can't offer a discount to my customers I won't stock it.

\ said:
As for the extra discount? mind you dont discount yourself out of pocket. After all the idea is to earn money, right?

The example you gave, is that on top of the 10% you already give (by way of low prices)?

One other thing: How is your google rating?

Ian M
I don't want to give all my discounts away that's why I'm only at the thinking stage at the moment, I'm just trying to think of ways to increase business and in turn increase stock I hold.

I'm getting there on Google, I would say my sales are about 40% from Google 60% forum refers, not all are members.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I've created a new mailing list if anyone would like to join it, I'm going to send out an email to everyone inviting them to join I would prefer to send emails to people that wanted them rather than people that didn't, I plan on sending no more than 2 a month but they won't just be about the shop it will also have info about the forum, to sign up pop your email address in the box here Newsletter

R

Richy C

Just received the AFV DVD today , thankyou John great service , and thankyou Graham your review done it for me mate , I`ve not been about lately due to moving and only have limited access to a computer at the moment , I have used many a time a model website which I won`t name that if you spend over £45 you get free postage it always gets my vote as you get sucked in to get them extra bits to get the free postage deal , maybe do a 1 month trial that if you spend over £50 you get free postage ,

Just an idea

Once again thankyou for the superb service

Richy

D

dm73

I can only agree with everyone else, the service you give is second to none and i can honestly say you are my first port of call for anything i'm after, even your son's accident didn't slow you down and so you've got all my custom. A little more advertising on the forum isn't a bad thing, an armour site i look at time to time is covered in adverts for all sorts but i think most people come to expect it nowadays.

I quite like the idea of a points system, a point for every pound spent and a point is worth say 5p with a £30 limit, just off the top of my head, don't know if its financially viable.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think the free postage could work out a bit expensive if things really start to fly. Also It would only really be a viable proposition for UK customers.

The loyalty points scheme sounds by far the fairest.

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

John, I can only support what has already been said and I think it is becoming quite obvious that you set yourself apart from the rest in providing superb service. There are many thousands of vendors out there in the internet who really don't get that and then complain that thier business slowly dies. If you are doing better month by month then all credit to you for supplying the right gear at the right price with excellent support, communications and after sales service.

Where do you go from here? I think the DVD's you sell are extreemly good and as long as you continue to supply all the materials that are mentioned to support them I am certain that they will continue to be a strong brand. I have made my own washes, filters and weathering effects but watching the DVD makes me realise that it could be a bit more of an exact science if I let somebody else mix the paints to a consistent quality and colour. I'll be buying some when I get home! I would like to see some bigger high quality brushes for oil painting use as most of your individual brushes are quite small and big brushes would be usefull.

One thing I would like to see would be a DVD of an equal quality on airbrushing techniques before we progress to the weathering one, again supported with the materials and tools demonstrated in the DVD. I avoid airbrushing wherever possible but I'm sure I would use it more often if I had a bit more confidence and got over the fear of having to clean it out every time I use it.

As a suggestion, one thing that I am very keen myself to support at the pond on a Sunday morning is to encourage youngsters. For our hobby to continue into the next generation we need to continue to attract new blood into it so I would look at products that they would be attracted to. Cheap simple kits, perhaps with glue, paint and basic tools included might be an idea or other models aimed at the younger end of the spectrum. Get them interested and they are your customers of tomorrow.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I've thought about offer free postage over xx amount and that would work fine on most stuff, paints, masking tape, wash etc but if someone was to get a couple of 32oz airbrush cleaner I would loose money because they weigh so much, I will work out on average how much it's cost me to send orders over £50 and see if it's viable, I am leaning towards a points system with a max redeem on it, that way people can save up for stuff

F

Fenlander

Free postage over a certain amount is OK, in fact it is very good but it does not help those who maybe spend less than that per order but who could still, eventually, benefit from the points system

S

Spyderman_uk

I'm for the points system as well!

It rewards those that spend a lot as well as those that come back regularly.

I can't afford to spend much so I doubt I would ever qualify for the discount scheme, but I could accumulate points gradually.

You are not always the cheapest, but you are certainly the quickest in getting orders out to us.

When I want stuff I want it quickly, but I don't have anywhere local I can go. Your quick turnaround keeps my son and me happy.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
One thing I stumbled upon the other day really Miffed me off! I wanted to order some things from H*****ts. As the order was under 30 they would not send it. Great service what! A sheet of decals for a tenner, they would post them but a kit for £25 they would not. Go Figure!!!

Richards idea about supporting the kids/juniors is a great idea. well worth following up on.

As far as other stock items I could be tempted by more British stuff. Subjects that is. It seems that you can get quite a few if you shop around but its pretty hard to find a good selection in one place!

Ian M

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Just to update you I've decided to go with a points system as I think it's the fairest way to reward people, everyone that buys will benefit and not just people that spend over xx amount or have a big spend, I've got a company doing the coding for me they said it could take a while so until then as some of you may noticed if you subscribe to the newsletter I'm sending out offers on a monthly basis

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Already used this months offer :cheesygrin: Thanks for that John

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I know Al thanks, I managed to get it posted today for you.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Excellent. Now that's what i call proper service