Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
quick check in.
20220511_094126.jpg
Matilda has got her make up on. Just had enough light stone... Literally had the dropper bottle dropper removed standing top down in a mixing pot to let the last drain out the bottle. (and get my SS ball bearing back :smiling3: )

20220511_094139.jpg

I have faded the Silver grey a little on the top side of things to give it a hint of the famed light blue which was not blue... Light stone and slate making up the rest of the camouflage.
I guess a bit of dirt and dust is next together with a bit of oil and grease. Better paint the tools as well ;)
Oh I went for the rubber band tracks by the way. As pointed out, so little of them are clearly seen. So playing with those to get them looking ok as well.
TTFN

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
quick check in.
View attachment 453085
Matilda has got her make up on. Just had enough light stone... Literally had the dropper bottle dropper removed standing top down in a mixing pot to let the last drain out the bottle. (and get my SS ball bearing back :smiling3: )

View attachment 453086

I have faded the Silver grey a little on the top side of things to give it a hint of the famed light blue which was not blue... Light stone and slate making up the rest of the camouflage.
I guess a bit of dirt and dust is next together with a bit of oil and grease. Better paint the tools as well ;)
Oh I went for the rubber band tracks by the way. As pointed out, so little of them are clearly seen. So playing with those to get them looking ok as well.
TTFN
Coming on very nicely indeed Ian.

Well done so far.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have faded the Silver grey a little on the top side of things to give it a hint of the famed light blue which was not blue...
BSC No. 28 Silver Grey was actually a pale green :smiling3: For some reason, older sources made it out to be a pale blue-grey colour, and this keeps getting repeated all over the place. Mike Starmer’s mix for it is 5× Humbrol 74 Linen + 2× Humbrol 145 Medium Grey.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
BSC No. 28 Silver Grey was actually a pale green
Jeps. But when subjected to the baking desert sun it faded out (quite quickly in some cases) to a blue grey colour, which has led to people less informed...Tamiya for instance, thinking it was blue paint.

My photo here is a bit over exposed, but the Silver grey bits are more green that grey :smiling3:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Cheers Allen. I’m going to have to look up this Stevie character now aren’t I LOL…skin tones are my usual job of over all skin colour, highlights, flesh wash, then reinforced highlights…..pretty simple but gives great results….
Wow Tim, I didn't know they made figures of Stevie (Jones) in that scale. Love the one in the middle with the 9 iron on his shoulder. Stevie would be proud!!! The shading and highlights of the skin tones are incredible Sir!!! Another fabulous job from the "Bench of Marlow".......

Prost auf Stevie
Allen
First off - stunning work as always Tim. Very impressive.

Now if you want figures of me looking like that you are going to have to go waaaaay back in the archives. Not only did l have muscles back then but loads of hair back in the days of the 70's mullet.

Nowadays you can just do flesh tones all over my barnet and a wheel barrow to carry my belly and crate of beer in. Luv you all! LOL

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
First off - stunning work as always Tim. Very impressive.

Now if you want figures of me looking like that you are going to have to go waaaaay back in the archives. Not only did l have muscles back then but loads of hair back in the days of the 70's mullet.

Nowadays you can just do flesh tones all over my barnet and a wheel barrow to carry my belly and crate of beer in. Luv you all! LOL
Ah….now it makes sense….must have been dumbass day here chez Marlow…..similar issues myself these days….not enough hair and too much belly……

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
quick check in.
View attachment 453085

View attachment 453086

TTFN
Looking very nice indeed Ian :smiling3:
This is a tank that I've wanted to take on for a while now.... and looking at yours coming on there makes that even stronger ;)
Andy

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Ah….now it makes sense….must have been dumbass day here chez Marlow…..similar issues myself these days….not enough hair and too much belly……
.... NOT ME !!!......
..... Still got LOADSA hair :thumb2:.....
.... only thing is.... i now have LOADSA extra belly too now! :confounded::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very nice indeed Ian :smiling3:
This is a tank that I've wanted to take on for a while now.... and looking at yours coming on there makes that even stronger ;)
Andy
Thanks Andy. It builds well. Well it's a Tamiya so.... Might try and find another one (or two). Either that or a Churchill. a tank I have never built befor!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
So I've been plodding on with making my MiniArt townhouse look less 'flat'....

I'm on my fourth colour so far..... And only two sides have seen the fourth colour......

It's getting there although it looks a bit redder in the pictures than in real life and also less of a contrast in colours too than in the pics but you get the idea.

Once I've finished painting in the individual bricks I'll give it a light wash of an appropriate colour to try and tie it all in.....

BTW the bricks are 4mm x1mm....

The good news is that Junioress likes the way it is progressing!! :smiling3: :smiling3:

ATB.

Andrew

IMG20220512174845.jpg

IMG20220512174841.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Andrew. Nice variation in the brick tones. Wouldn’t like to have been the brickie though….twelve inch by three inch bricks must weigh a bit…..

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That is going a long way to making it look realistic. A good all-over wash like you mention will both blend them in more and give a bit of variation in tone, so it doesn’t look like a modern house that has been built to look old(er) by using a couple of different colours of brick :smiling3: Adding stains where water would run down, like from the corners of the window sills, also goes a long way.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good Andrew. Nice variation in the brick tones. Wouldn’t like to have been the brickie though….twelve inch by three inch bricks must weigh a bit…..
The house was built when men was men and bricks were bigger, solid clay, and got carried up ladders in a hod.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew,
That is coming on nicely.
That is looking very nice indeed Andew.
That is going a long way to making it look realistic. A good all-over wash like you mention will both blend them in more and give a bit of variation in tone, so it doesn’t look like a modern house that has been built to look old(er) by using a couple of different colours of brick :smiling3: Adding stains where water would run down, like from the corners of the window sills, also goes a long way.

Thanks gents, I'm generally quite pleased with how it's going slowly.....it's actually the 5th brick colour but the lighter shade really pulled it together for some reason.

@Tim Marlow
It's interesting Tim what you say about the size of the bricks but for the last couple of weeks or so I kept thinking there was something not right with it......then I realised it looked out of proportion. I first thought it was the size of the white window surrounds and that they were oversized.....but the more I think about it, the more I think it is that the rest of the building is under-scale.

I know you can argue about scale size all day long but I expect a Townhouse to be big and imposing and it has the look and features but not the size. I compared it my Normandy Farmhouse and it's actually marginally smaller in some ways! The farmhouse proportions feel right, this doesn't....for example, it's like the windows are too small and the white surrounds are look 'cramped in' by the walls - see below.

The clincher though is when I put a figure in. My Panzer Grenadiers are by Caesar Miniatures. I got them because whilst they're not perfect, Plastic Soldier Review gives them probably the best score of any late war set and they score 10 on everything except poses...they 'only' get an 8 for that! Put them in the farmhouse and they feel about right size wise but they feel over sized in the townhouse.

I think this building would work better at 1/87 scale for example and would look even better without the window surrounds, which is actually an option.

@Jakko
I was planning add stains too. I tried it on my farmhouse but need to refine the technique a bit.

ATB

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Scale is “elastic” in most gaming pieces Andrew. The ground scale in the games is also truncated, so one building really represents a built up area. They tend to be kept smaller so they take up less real estate on the ground. Looking at that one with fresh eyes, in comparison with the farmhouse, it looks as though the building should be fifty percent wider and higher…..in isolation it will look fine, but it is a gaming building not a scale model…..

Status
Not open for further replies.