what's the best brand for accurate Luftwaffe colours?

D

dubster72

As the title says, who makes the most accurate Luftwaffe colour paint, preferably whatever was used in green & grey shades in 1945. I'm guessing Xtracrylix maybe?

Many thanks

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Acrylics,I'd go for Xtracrylix. They do the whole range and are definitely closest overall out of the pot.

Enamels,White Ensign Colourcoats. They also do the whole range. I find they are so accurately matched to the originals that I have to lighten them. The low contrast between for example RLM 74/75 becomes almost no contrast on a model otherwise.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
:lookupthere:

Steve, how do you find the Xtracolor enamels?

Ian M

D

dubster72

Thanks Steve, I'm not up to spraying enamels, so I'll stick to the Xtracrylix. And no, I'm not moving to the ' other side ' just yet, Romans recent retro Starfighter gave me inspiration for something similar with armour ;)

Cheers

Patrick

First Name
Dave
I used xtracolour enamels for years before i recently changed to acrylics.I cant vouch for their accuracy but i found them to be very good paints and they cover all the RLM numbers.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Dave,maybe you could point Ian in the right direction for Xtracolour. I use the WEM Colourcoats but I have heard good things about Xtracolour RLM colours.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I was wondering what the enamels are like as I can see there are a lot more colours in the Xtracolor range than in the Xtracrylix. It seems to me that the enamels have more armour colours, while the Acrylic range leans towards the winged things.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
The xtracolour enamels as you may or may not know are gloss finish.They give a perfect finish for applying decals.So no need for Kleer or gloss varnish.I used to get mine from Wonderland models off the internet.

S

snapper41

I have to say that I find xtracrylix really difficult to use; they clog my airbrush within seconds, even using their own thinners. I now swear by either Vallejo modelair or Lifecolor; both are very good RLM representations.