When things go horribly wrong.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Most of you have probably seen the pics of the airplane that was over pressurized here at Tinker. Here are a few about 2 days afterward. The fuselage failed at about the 1440 bulkhead and the whole tail fell to the ground. This was the result of using an old procedure for a 10.9 pressurization check after PDM that went awry. The gauges used on the inside of the aircraft were not certified and were not being monitored closely and the aircraft was over pressurized. Luckily no one was seriously injured. The airplane had finished its PDM and was about 2 weeks from going home and was a total write off. All the more reason for certified procedures and following tech data.... Not a good day for Tinker.

10bc02020.jpg

10be02020.jpg

10c004030.jpg

10c20a070.jpg

10c408060.jpg

R

rjwood_uk

ok, this problem also happens when looking for images on yahoo...the once you always want to see are tripod images so you cant see them, its always a bugger!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Should be fixed now,you are right about Yahoo,the reason is they no longer store images,thus once the jpegs are sent,they vanish from the site,just confirm that you can now see them please ?

P

Pogo

nice pics .Now that would make an interesting diorama any takers?

R

rjwood_uk

yup, all clear....colin....that would be a waste of an entire model if made into a diorama...although i agree, an interesting one.

il take it up! some one find me a decent model of it (not too expencive) and il do it!!!

(i have the summer hols comming up!)

R

rjwood_uk

i used to be good at aircraft recog...but not after 5year (since i was in the ATC) lol...excuses excuses....

can anyone tell me what this aircraft is so i can plan out the diorama....

what does everyone thing of me doing it?

P

Pogo

I think it was a Boeing KC-135R Stratotanker. WAS a KC-135 TANKER .

D

duncan

Air National Guard if that helps with reccy, probably have a lot of hours on it. Dont think they get new equipment.

P

Pogo

well sort of new. I think that one was sent to be tested. It failed.

B

Bunkerbarge

Scary pictures Barry, if thats the sort of mistake that can be made on the ground just think of the consequences of a similar cock up in service!

"Ladies and gentlemen the Captain regrets to have to inform you that we didn't put enough fuel in the aircraft but don't worry, disciplinary action will follow!"

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Does anyone remember that B-29 incident where a restored example was being flown out of the Arctic or somewhere,it taxied and a tank exploded,cut the fuselage in two,seconds before it could easily have been airborne,they spent months working on her and one of the crew was ill with cancer and passed away,a sad business from start to finish.

D

duncan

Yes that was a tragic in both ways. I seem to remember it was a temporary APU in the fuz that caused the fire. A real heartbreaker of a story.

R

rjwood_uk

but yet another more famous insidents...what about the old Man.U "buzby boys" trying to fly out of munich!!!

N

Nigel.D

That b29 story was heartbreaking i followed the documentary and was so gutted for them

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
***Yes RJW,ice on the wings of an Airspeed Ambassador,she just failed to get airborne due to the sheer weight and drag,seems like yesterday,terrible tragedy.

but yet another more famous insidents...what about the old Man.U "buzby boys" trying to fly out of munich!!!