Which 1:48 scale kit.

D

disco2

As someone who has only recently returned to modelling after a 20+ year gap and built a couple of small kits I now want to do something bigger, so my question is this. Which 1:48 scale kit woud you say is the best, I would prefer a prop engined plane rather than jet but otherwise happy to give anything a go.

F

Fenlander

Hi Disco and welcome to the best and friendliest modelling forum on the net. Ooo, what a question. It is loaded with buts, like but what is your taste, period, war or civil. However, if I was wanting a kit that would give me something different, something spectacular, something of quality and something that fits together really well, my choice would be

Tamiya - 1/48th North American RAF Mustang III

Part No: 61047

Scale: 1/48th

The Rolls-Royce Merlin engine was powering the best warplanes in England early in the war. To develop a new engine for the fledgling P-51 would take much time and the allies did not have it. In 1940, the Packard Motor Company of the U.S. began license production of the Merlin V-1650-1 engine in Detroit. Both the U.S. and England started modifications almost simultaneously. 10 airframes were altered and became the start of the most successful fighter series of the war.

Price: £15.99 from Modelzone.

Superb looking kit. I started back with my, still unfinished RAF Mustang from ICM, a bit cheaper but the Tamiya has the edge and worth the extra few quid.

P

Paul1978

Hi Disco.

Wow, what a question. I think it comes down to personal preference. I'm really into the armour side of modelling but i have two aircraft kits under construction both by Tamiya: Mosquito BMk.IV and the Supermarine Spitfire Mk.5b Tropical. Modern jets don't interest me very much... yet (i'm sure i'll have a go in the future). I love both of these aircraft and therefore opted for these. I'd recommend Tamiya as the quality is fantastic, the parts fit together pretty well and require very little cleaning up.

Cheers

Paul