Which aircraft......

First Name
Adrian
My friend is away in Prague at the momment and has bought me a model kit, he knows I am trying to build as many 1:48th European WWII aircraft as I can.

Now he 's told me this aircraft entered service around 1936 in England and was used right up till 1966,,,, I'm no historian when it comes to planes so I need your help :smiling3:

So what is it????

Thanks

Adrian

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Might be a Me 109 ? According to wikipedia it was born in 1936 and was still in use with the Spanish air force, built under licence with a merlin engine, into the late 1960's. Just a guess.

Tony.

Sorry didn't see the "in England" bit, please disregard my ramblings.:bangin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Going to go out on a limb here. A Spitfire?

Ian M

First Name
Adrian
Well supposedly its something I havent built yet, and I've done 2 Spits,,, gotta wait till he gets back.

On a side note hes spotted some cheap kits, think he said Smur,, are these worth my time and cash about £8 a kit?

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
To make up for my previous blunder, Wayne (wbk666) did a Smer kit, a leO 451, his build thread is here - http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes-helicopters/16866-smer-1-72-leo-451-a.html.

Hope this helps.

Tony.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
avro anson?
I thought of that too but it first flew in 1935. It was finally withdrawn from RAF service in 1968. That's close but actually even longer than the subject.

Can't be the Spitfire as it's last use by the RAF was for meteorological flights in the fifties (I'd have to look up the date.) Others may have used it later,does that count?

Steve

First Name
Adrian
I have no idea, he set me this puzzler and said I would find out when he gave me the kit on his return from Prague. In fairness he's sometimes a little off on the facts, lol so it could be the Anson.

Its like waiting for Christmas !

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
could it be something that was used as a trainer?
That was the Anson's primary role (along with communications and light transport flights) after it was shown to be hopelessly inadequate in Coastal Command. They were withdrawn from the front,so to speak,by mid 1941.

I think Tony may be on to something after all!

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Adrian
I texted him the Avro Anson and he said no, its deffinatly an RAF plane according to him, so I guess thats 109's out,,, apart from the ones Rolls Royce had for testing ( again his words not mine ) I'm not that much of a buff I build cos it relaxes me and I enjoy it :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
From what I can see on the databases the Anson is the only aircraft in RAF service 1936-68. I too wait for the answer!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
apart from the ones Rolls Royce had for testing ( again his words not mine )
Hold on there Neddy!!! I see an internet "factoid" in the making.

Rolls Royce NEVER had a Bf 109 for testing......fact.

This is a garbled account of the engine saga of the Bf 109. Originally it was intended to fit the aircraft with a BMW 116 engine. Later a Jumo 210 was preferred. As the first prototypes were nearing completion the Jumo engine was not available. The RLM (Reich Air Ministry) with the help of the Heinkel Company managed to obtain several Rolls Royce Kestrel II S engines. A Rolls Royce engine was fitted to the first Bf 109 prototype designated Bf 109 V1,given the Weknummer 758 and the civil registration D-IABI.

All subsequent prototypes up to V13 and the first production series (A,B,C,D) were fitted with a version of the Jumo 210 engine. V13 and V14 were the first Bf 109s to be fitted with a version of the DB 601 and were effectively competition racing aircraft. V13 became the world speed record holder in 1937 when fitted with a special engine derived from the DB 601 A,designated "Rennmotor III".

The first production series of the Bf 109 produced with the Daimler Benz engine was the E.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Adrian
I'll get him to tell me what he is on about, someone he knows worked at RR and thats what he is going on about, I may have zoned out and your most likely right with that tibbit. He was addiment that RR did have some 109's though, but like I said before I build em and paint em thats as far as my knowledge goes :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
He was addiment that RR did have some 109's though,
Nope,it's the other way around BFW (who built the 109) had some Rolls Royce engines :smiling3:

The British first got their hands on a Bf 109,one of two which had been captured intact by the French in early 1940. It was initially assessed by the A&AEE at Boscombe Down before being flown to the RAE at Farnborough where it was extensively tested in May and June 1940.

The resulting niftily named report "Messerschmitt Me. 109-Handling and Manoeuvrability Tests" wasn't published until September 1940.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I occurs to me that your friend maybe getting confused with the Bf 108. There were two on the British register in September 1939 and a third was acquired from the German Embassy after it was "abandoned" by the staff. I've read of a fourth example but I think this may be a figment of someone's confusion rather than a real aeroplane :smiling3:

Here's one serving with 24 Squadron,resplendent in RAF markings. It was called an "Aldon" rather than "Taifun" by us,which seems a shame!

It's a handsome machine and had very good performance for its time.

Cheers

Steve

A

andyrobs

Heres my guess after a bit of internet research, is it a de havilland dragonfly? According to wikipedia (not always accurate I know!!!!) It was introduced in 1936, and was in operation I think with the silver city airline till 1960!!!!

Cheers, Andrew

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Heres my guess after a bit of internet research, is it a de havilland dragonfly?Cheers, Andrew
That would be nice,it's a beautiful aeroplane.

Steve

First Name
Adrian
Hey Steve, I did zone out when he was telling me the story, he was on about the engines going over there, not planes coming over here, like I said I glaze over when all the facts and figures start coming out :smiling3:

Heres what he sent me ( he has a good point for a GB as well I think )

Hi mate,

Here are the links and a brief description...

Rolls Royce supplied the Kestrel engine for the Bf 109 prototype, as the German engines weren't ready.

It also powered prototypes of Heinkel_He_70 (passenger and mail plane and a direct ancestor of the He 111) and Ju 86 & 87 Stuka.

In exchange for the engines supplied to RLM (German Reichs Air Ministry), RR got a He70G to use as an engine test bed.

It also saw use in Heinkel He 112 & 122.

It's amazing that RR got away with it, as the German military were not allowed to develop powered aircraft, post WWI, only gliders!

Post war, the Merlin was also used in the 1954 Hispano Aviación HA-1112-M1L Buchon, a Spanish built version of the Bf109 G-2 and the Italian Fiat G.55.

Links:

Rolls-Royce Kestrel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Messerschmitt Bf 109 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Messerschmitt Bf 109 - Germany

(Some good pics on this site of 'unusual' gun configurations.)

Me109 - German Messerschmitt B-D fighter plane Legion Condor

Heinkel He 112 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's a suggestion for a club build for ya! - All RR engined WWII aircraft, or to make it a bit more difficult, Merlin engined aircraft only (still a big list!). :smiling:

A few suggestions for 'alternatve' uses for a Merlin:

Rolls-Royce Merlin alternative uses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- The Airfix Tribute Forum - :: Airfix 2nd 2012 Civil Air GB - fred's Messerschmitt 109

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's more like it :smiling3:

Steve